AVS Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there,

I searched the forums but did not really find an answer to this. I have a Hauppauge 950q tuner, which I like a lot hooked into my htpc (Zino).

It works very well, but I was thinking of adding another, so I could record more shows and watch other shows at the same time. Will I have any issues if I use a different tuner? I got a great deal on the 950q when I bought it and cannot find any cheap now. If it is the best option I am happy to pay for it, just don't want to waste money if a cheaper tuner will not cause compatibility issues.

I have win 7 and use media center to watch tv.

Also, what are people recommending right now as far as usb tuners.

Thank you,

Jack

·
Registered
656 Posts
Mix and match all you want. Cheapest usb tuner I have found is the kworld at newegg. I have 6 of them doing OTA with no issues.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Great, that is what I wanted to hear. How many running on each pc?

Do you notice any issues with performance when viewing tv and recording at the same time?

As for the kworld tuner, I assume I would have no issues recording OTA hd programs with it.

Thank you,

Jack

·
Registered
656 Posts
I have 3 of the kworlds on 1 computer, another computer has 1 of those and some other usb one I found on sale, and have them on 2 other pc's with another tuner.

I can't tell when a recording stops/starts while watching live tv. All I have is OTA so if you plan on qam i can not comment

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Only interested in OTA, thinking about getting rid of the dish.

Do you have any issues scheduling multiple recordings that overlap. Is WMC smart enough to use the other tuner when the first one is recording?

Thanks for the input.

·
Registered
656 Posts
Im am having issues with that...i ended up splitting all my channels on my server and choose which tuner to record a show.

·
Registered
837 Posts
I have tha AverMedia A188 dual tuner and haven't had any problems watching tv while it records or recording 2 shows at once. I don't watch much live tv though so i can't be sure.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinm0424 /forum/post/18168834

I have tha AverMedia A188 dual tuner and haven't had any problems watching tv while it records or recording 2 shows at once. I don't watch much live tv though so i can't be sure.

I need a usb tuner though, as I cannot add a tuner to my zino, no room...

I am hoping WMC will be smart enough to record too shows that overlap, that is my only real concern.

·
Registered
656 Posts
I duno all i am saying is I have 3 tuners and media center 7 to add 3 minutes to either side of the the recording and it would always either cut off the end or begining when recording shows back to back.

·
Registered
110 Posts
i also have the 950Q on the Zino and its great. Looking to expand i bought 2 of the kworld ones for $30 a piece. Unfortuantely after many hours i could not get them to tune into my comcast QAM channels. I have no OTA signals so that was not an option. The 950Q picked up everything though. Back they are going to newegg.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juc /forum/post/18169458

i also have the 950Q on the Zino and its great. Looking to expand i bought 2 of the kworld ones for $30 a piece. Unfortuantely after many hours i could not get them to tune into my comcast QAM channels. I have no OTA signals so that was not an option. The 950Q picked up everything though. Back they are going to newegg.

Good to know, I am just looking for OTA, so hopefully I will have some success. The zino is a pretty nifty device.

Jack

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Got my kworld tuner yesterday and had some issues.

I went through the WMC setup and it would not automatically add the tuner, said tv signal could not be found for it.

I tried different cables and moved things around on my splitter, no success.

I brought it to work this morning, getting ready to send it back. I decided to try it here one last time, with the included antenna. Same problem. However, this time I went through the manual settings to setup the tuner, and when I clicked the guide it worked fine.

I will try it at home again tonight.

Anyone else have this issue?

Thanks,

Jack

1 - 14 of 14 Posts