AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I looked around and found lots of information about combining antennas (and the associated pitfalls), but didn't see the specific answer to my issue.

I got a Square Shooter roof mounted with my dish a few weeks ago. For those that are not familiar with this antenna, it is supposedly UHF only (though I know the high end VHF come through often). Because of my unique terrain situation, the only channel I could get was on frequency 10 (VHF). I thought this was odd given it was a UHF antenna but since freq 10 was the local ABC affiliate and I had MNF, I didn't mind too much.

Just for kicks I tried a Silver Sensor indoors and was able to get some additional channels intermittently. I figured getting my SShooter higher on the roof and professionally placed would help things. After the move I can now get the local NBC affiliate (at frequency 35) and nothing else. This is great since I'd like to get ER and WW in HD, but I have now lost the freq 10 altogether - like "0." All this off-air stuff is so unpredictable, but I knew that going in.

My most recent idea is to add a small second, VHF only antenna via a common splitter (before the diplex) in an attempt to get freq 10 back. My question is this - will I have to worry about conflicting signals from a UHF only antenna and the VHF only antenna? As far as I understand it, while there is some overlap, there will not be enough (especially all the way into the 30s) to conflict with the UHF. I know others are using channel filters successfully, but if I don't need one, I'd rather not have one.

Any suggestions? If I could get NBC and ABC, I'd be fine until the Spaceway sats get into the air next year and eliminate the need for an antenna all together.

Thanks!

· Registered
6,393 Posts
Don't use a "common splitter", use a VHF/UHF combiner such as CM #0549. Radio shack has one as well, but I'm not sure of the part #. Otherwise, there is nothing to stop the VHF antenna from being a "coathanger" on UHF, or the UHF antenna being a "coathanger" on VHF ....

And yes, there are some "unique terrain issues" in our area that can cause unpredicatable results for some, but that fortunetly aren't severe enough of an issue for most of us. However, given the "7 hills of Cincinnati" While it's not exactly common, it is possible to be 4 miles from the towers and still be "blocked" from the signal because you are on the wrong side of a 300~600 Foot hill. Basically, VHF propagation tends to work better in terrain challenged locations because of the longer wavelengths involved.

I would say however, if you're getting WLWT-DT, there's a good chance you could do better with a better antenna(especially if you can find a "sweet spot" for reception for the antenna) than either of those, you might want to ask your installer what they think. Most installers in our area seem to like the Winegard antennas, they make several mid-sized VHF/UHF combos which are much better antennas than the squareshooter or Silver Sensor. WCET-DT(Cincy PBS HD)for instance, in fact is on the SAME TOWER, at the same height as WLWT-DT(NBC). And, the rest aren't far away and you don't want to miss the Fox/CBS/WB/PBS HD either. See Cincinnati thread in local info area for more local info.

Edited for following post: mjones is correct -- However, for the most part you would have to be within a few miles or so of Downtown Cincinnati for there to be much of a spread in heading between the towers. Fox(and WPTO-DT PBS) is Just West of Downtown+I-75, NBC/PBS(WCET-DT) is about a mile east of that in Clifton(the bigger tower next to the one they show in the "WKRP" opening), CBS/ABC is a little farther East, just West of I-71) -- WB is a few Miles North in Finneytown, and PBS/KET is about 6 miles South in Taylor Mill, KY.

· Registered
7,918 Posts
Are all your transmission towers in the same area? The SS is highly directional, if your towers are located in different areas you might want to install a rotator or try a less directional antenna...

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.