AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have read several posts with regards to mixing of wire gauge (after using the search feature). However, most cases I read about was not exactly discussing my position.

I will make a 60' run, although it is likely closer to 50' but I move around the World and can't buy new speaker wire with each move, for the furthest positioned rear surround.

My intention was to use 10 AWG for the rear due to the length (and the fact I am buying wire anyway) but what about the front?! The distance will be significantly less, but should I use the same wire gauge or rather a different gauge which would result in a similar voltage drop? i.e. a larger gauge up front in hopes of losing as much in 10' as I would over 60'? or should I go with the same gauge for everything?

My inclination is to use varying gauge, dependent on the length of wire.

and as a secondary question, is there any interference by "coiling" excess speaker wire (under my couch or somewhere hidden) or should I attempt to avoid this by doubling back the additional somewher along the length?

Intended Equipment:

Pioneer SC-37

Klipsch RF-7 II - front L/R

Klipsch RF-62 II rear L/R

Klipsch RC-64 II center

All speakers are 8ohm compatible (nominal impendence, as per Klipsch specs)

Thanks a million!!

·
Registered
4,850 Posts
Theoretically, there's nothing wrong with mixing wire gauge. You'll be fine. Good call on the 10awg for the long run. Remember, the circuit goes all the way to the voice coil, and returns all the way back, so good job w/ the 10.

For simplicity sake, I prefer to use all the same gauge.

As to coiling, be careful. Theoretically it's taboo. Real world, likely no biggie, however, I would not do it.

If you had to coil, I'd do it like this; a figure 8 pattern, crossing and stacking in the center, keeping the loops of the "8" loosely structured and anything but uniform.

This thread will likely go for weeks.

·
Registered
6,946 Posts
Personally, I think 10ga is unnecessarily large and cumbersome to work with. 14ga sufficient, 12ga for the overkill, IMO.

·
Registered
22,637 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by whoaru99 /forum/post/19620084

Personally, I think 10ga is unnecessarily large and cumbersome to work with. 14ga sufficient, 12ga for the overkill, IMO.

I agree.

Get the wires made and/or terminated to length no matter the gauge. Trying to loop 10AWG wire is not an easy task, let alone trying to "hide" the excess.

·
Banned
20,735 Posts
I would just use 12gauge for simplicity. Easier to find, cheaper, very sufficient for all bu the lowest impedance speakers and longest runs. There is nothing wrong with mixing gauges either.

Don't worry about interference on speaker cables, realistically. A neat coil is fine. Unless you're coiling your speaker wire next to a broadcast antenna or something, you'll basically never have a problem. And if you do you'd hear it and could deal with it then. I'd be more concerned with low-level signals. If you actually had enough noise in the environment to induce audible sound on a speaker run, I'd be more concerned about safety and getting cancer or something just standing around there....

·
Registered
2,623 Posts
Given the average audio power output from a home system you are correct about not sweating the coil neatness too much. However in the pro world I deal with, we routinely have amps stacks outputting 3-10k watts so we try to keep it non uniform as we also try to match speaker lengths relatively close although we don't get anal about. My comment on the coil was just my usual dealings.

Also agree on cable gauge matching. 12 awg will be fine, but even 12 and 14 mixed is no issue in a home situation.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratman /forum/post/0

As posted numerous times, here's a gereral rule of thumb reference:
http://www.roger-russell.com/wire/wire.htm#wiretable

Have read this too
thanks for reposting and i know i have suggested beyond this.

My primary concern was varied wire gauge between rear and front speakers.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks everyone. I can finally place my order for wire and cables!

·
Registered
9,938 Posts
The only thing to watch out for with 10 gauge is that it may not fit spring clips of certain speakers. If you have binding posts, it should be less of an issue unless they're really dinky. It can also be rather stiff.

·
Registered
4,850 Posts
Oftentimes individuals post the link to the Roger Russel info, however the real good stuff is reading the entire story about what he went through during his tenure there.

I know I've posted the heads up before, but the manner in which he was treated, truly a fantastic story.

·
Registered
22,119 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulpa /forum/post/19625594

The only thing to watch out for with 10 gauge is that it may not fit spring clips of certain speakers. If you have binding posts, it should be less of an issue unless they're really dinky. It can also be rather stiff.

i think 10 gauge would be a challenge for spring clips of just about anything...

imo, unless you GOTTA, i wouldn't use 10 gauge, it's a pita to work with...

·
Registered
6,946 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by FOH /forum/post/19626195

Oftentimes individuals post the link to the Roger Russel info, however the real good stuff is reading the entire story about what he went through during his tenure there.

I know I've posted the heads up before, but the manner in which he was treated, truly a fantastic story.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratman /forum/post/19626582

Post a link to enlighten everyone.

There's a lot of stuff to read on Roger's website, but I think here is probably the "juicy" stuff eluded to, starting at 1990..

http://www.roger-russell.com/lsd2.htm

·
Registered
13,125 Posts
Roger's story is a great read, all of it. Amazing insights into a lot of things, among them the difference among engineering, marketing, and management.

For large-gauge cables and little spring clips I use pin terminations on the cables.

·
Registered
4,850 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonH50 /forum/post/19627032

Roger's story is a great read, all of it. Amazing insights into a lot of things, among them the difference among engineering, marketing, and management.

Yes,

Textbook example of Peter Principle. An awesome and deicated individual, with the coolest job in the world, given all the resources he essentially wanted. All to be screwed by the man.

Just another example of the man keepin' you down.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.