AVS Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4,864 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
was wondering - I know you shouldn't mix different horns but can you mix say ported or sealed with a horn?

I need speaker stands and thought I might build mid/small sized subs and maybe run them with the speakers down to maybe 40hz then have the horn handle the LFE channel and anything rossed over under 40

·
Premium Member
3,205 Posts
I had DTS 10s and no issue mixing them with sealed. Also no problem with sealed and ported but never tried horn with ported.

·
Banned
29,681 Posts
was wondering - I know you shouldn't mix different horns but can you mix say ported or sealed with a horn?

I need speaker stands and thought I might build mid/small sized subs and maybe run them with the speakers down to maybe 40hz then have the horn handle the LFE channel and anything rossed over under 40
It's the same basically as other subs (ported or sealed).

Sealed is usually easiest to mix and match- they are easiest to deal with phase issues.

Ported goes out of phase 180 degrees at tune.

A horn is like half way between either ported or sealed- so it really doesn't matter. half dozen of one and 6 of the other.
If you have DSP you can make it work.

But it is a bit more troublesome mixing different kinds of subs than sticking with one kind.

Generally if you have DSP and time/delay capability independently for each subwoofer you can get it right.

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
Although I can't give an answer, I presume you know a horn sub will be......fairly large?

I've got a pair of Danley DTS-10's to augment my (horn loaded) Jubilee speakers. Although the wife is still agasint having the Danleys in the house, I had them hooked up prior to bringing them to the house.

They are something like 4'x5'x18"

They might go deeper than you want, therefore, larger than you need. Point is simply, they're big. They are also very very heavy.

I will however, say, I think you are basically doing it right.

I think most people have it backwards when they take a horn tweeter, horn midrange and mate them with a traditional woofer.

As per Paul Klipsch, "if it moves, it distorts" so the biggest distortion generator we have in our traditional speakers are the woofers since they move the most.

Putting a horn woofer first and a cone midrange/tweeter makes more sense to me than horn midrange/tweeter with a cone woofer.

It does howver, become a problem of size and cost. If you are going horn on the bottom, hats off to you!!

·
Registered
11,697 Posts
I had to add a delay to the mains and sealed subs to match my horned sub.
I had to add the length of the horn to the existing delays, that seemed to work.

Like ported, horns will be 180degrees out of phase below tune.
Which isn't much of a problem if you are tuned the same, and the box and the XO will be reducing the output like crazy below tune anyways so it won't cancel much SPL.

The problem with horns is their size, weight and build complexity, and their rough response.
The HzHorn is good from 12hz to 130hz, outside that range it is near-useless.

·
Banned
29,681 Posts
I had to add the length of the horn to the existing delays, that seemed to work.

Which isn't much of a problem if you are tuned the same, and the box and the XO will be reducing the output like crazy below tune anyways so it won't cancel much SPL.

The problem with horns is their size, weight and build complexity, and their rough response.
I don't think a horn is a full 180 degrees out of phase like ported. It's more like 90.

·
Registered
4,864 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

I believe my horn is 20hz - Its the lab12 horn over at diyaudio but with a TC sounds epic 12

So you're saying sealed is easier than ported?

I am thinking sealed sub speaker stands.

·
Registered
4,864 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Looks like I'll need sealed mbms then. The reaction cx10s are more reserved in the bass and louder highs (I like that part) than the fusion 10 pure.

They will likely open up...I hope... But still want them to focus on where they shine and not be held back.

Any good affordable 12 or 15 that will work in sealed flat packs?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts