AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all

I thought that the Xbox One couldn't play DTS-HD MA tracks and only played AC3. I've been ripping my Blu-rays to MKV and decided to test a bunch of files, each with two audio tracks. I used the Media Player released by Microsoft and played off an external HDD.

1. Godzilla: DTS MA Core & AC3 - YES
2. Transformers Age of Extinction: TrueHD & AC3 - NO
3. 2001 A Space Odyssey: AC3 & PCM - NO
4. 10000 BC: AC3 & AC3 - YES
5. 30 Mins or Less: DTS & AC3 - YES

Per above, the results are in green and red. I'm trying to make sense of this but can't - I don't want to have to re-rip a stack of discs and convert many ISOs I've got if I don't have to or am going to do it wrong. I thought that the Xbox would just look at the second audio track if it couldn't play the first, but as you can see above, Tranformers should have played. Godzilla shouldn't have played as I've ripped the HD MA track. 2001 should also have played as the first track is AC3.

The Xbox is connected via HDMI into a Denon AVR-1611

Does anyone know how this system plays MKV audio tracks as I'm at a loss.

Cheers!

·
Registered
13,741 Posts
Last time I tried, it can play only 2.0 stereo only regardless of auto track, not surrounds. So there is really no point to me, IMO. My $50 Sony BD player can play much better than that (full DTS-HD support).

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well I've decided to bite the bullet and just re-encode everything again to have DTS MA Core as the first audio track. It's going to take a while, but all good.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Last time I tried, it can play only 2.0 stereo only regardless of auto track, not surrounds. So there is really no point to me, IMO. My $50 Sony BD player can play much better than that (full DTS-HD support).
I downloaded several surround sound test videos to my pc, and played them via the Xbox, I absolutely get surround sound.

·
Registered
13,741 Posts
I have many BD rips and all of them only send audio via front L and R speakers. I have a 7.1 setup and using HDMI LPCM 7.1 for audio connection. If you use anything else (like bitstream DD or DTS), you are likely getting receiver's DPL II processing of fake surround.

The audio tracks on those rips are DD 5.1 and DTS-HD MA.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts