AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I love the .mkv files with dolby digital and dts. my problem is Front Row, requires QT which doesn't work with .mkv files. Is there any way to write a script for front row, to access the specific movie file in itunes and connect the file to VLC player?
I love the way front row works with artwork for the move, or DVD covers in full screen mode, but Quick Time does not work with . mkv and perlian is not a good solution. I tired Back stage/center stage but cant get it to work either

·
Registered
41 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocMikesurgres /forum/post/13013819

I love the .mkv files with dolby digital and dts. my problem is Front Row, requires QT which doesn't work with .mkv files. Is there any way to write a script for front row, to access the specific movie file in itunes and connect the file to VLC player?
I love the way front row works with artwork for the move, or DVD covers in full screen mode, but Quick Time does not work with . mkv and perlian is not a good solution. I tired Back stage/center stage but cant get it to work either

No, there is no solution for us right not. Only option is to use Windows XP which has amazing front ends. I can not believe that there are tens of millions people out there using OS X and there is not a program that can flawlessly play .mkvs through a nice simple front row with the remote.... I am seriously considering installing XP and leaving OS X !

·
Registered
1,353 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidgilmour /forum/post/13014530

No, there is no solution for us right not. Only option is to use Windows XP which has amazing front ends. I can not believe that there are tens of millions people out there using OS X and there is not a program that can flawlessly play .mkvs through a nice simple front row with the remote.... I am seriously considering installing XP and leaving OS X !

No, the "only" option is not to use Windows, the best option is to not use any front end. If you look through this forum and also the Windows forum, you will see how many people have problems of one kind or another with a front end.

If you want to play music, open iTunes, if you want to play a film, open Apple's DVD player or VLC or Mplayer or any other film player you have. You'd be amazed how well it works. I like Front Row only to watch film trailers. And for that, it works perfectly.

·
Registered
882 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Further /forum/post/13014594

the best option is to not use any front end.

If you're single or have a spouse who is very computer literate, this works fine. Most of us have wives who need an easy to use interface, not to mention I like having it as well. I also often have guests, like my wife's parents, who need to use this. Handing them a mouse and saying "use this program to do this, this one to do that and oh you want to play that special file? then you have to go here and use this program" just isn't going to cut it.

·
Registered
41 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mslide /forum/post/13014965

If you're single or have a spouse who is very computer literate, this works fine. Most of us have wives who need an easy to use interface, not to mention I like having it as well. I also often have guests, like my wife's parents, who need to use this. Handing them a mouse and saying "use this program to do this, this one to do that and oh you want to play that special file? then you have to go here and use this program" just isn't going to cut it.

Exactly. Front row looks good. Front Row 2 looks amazing. But only if you want to play stuff Applle *wants* you to play.

I need a great front row with mkv playback (Quicktime with Perian with DTS....) and Airtunes playvack (which is available in Apple TV2....)

·
Registered
39 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidgilmour /forum/post/13015021

I need a great front row with mkv playback (Quicktime with Perian with DTS....) and Airtunes playvack (which is available in Apple TV2....)

Why can't you use FR with QT and Perian for your .mkv? I use it daily and it works wonderfully. The only limitation is that you need to open the .mkv in QT and save it as a .mov reference file and import that into iTunes.

·
Registered
1,353 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mslide /forum/post/13014965

I have a spouse and she is not computer literate. We also have guests. I have never used a front end and not once have my wife or guests complained to me.

The whole point of using a htpc is that each can use it in the way he or she feels most comfortable. There simply is no one solution that is to everyone's tastes or abilities.

·
Registered
882 Posts
I know it's frustrating. I'd love to use OS X for my HTPC, but Apple doesn't give us the flexibility and my programming skills aren't nearly good enough to tackle a project like that. What about some of the linux front ends, like MythTV? There are some people who run that on OS X. I don't know much about it though.

·
Registered
882 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Further /forum/post/13015049

I have never used a front end and not once have my wife or guests complained to me.

Can and will they use it when you are not at home? I'm not trying to be a smart ass; I really am interested. If it wasn't for my front end and fancy remote, my wife/guests would never take advantage of having all of our movies at our fingertips, unless I was there to set it up.

·
Registered
1,353 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mslide /forum/post/13015120

Can and will they use it when you are not at home? I'm not trying to be a smart ass; I really am interested. If it wasn't for my front end and fancy remote, my wife/guests would never take advantage of having all of our movies at our fingertips, unless I was there to set it up.

If my wife has friends over and wants to show them a film after dinner, for example, I insert the DVD of which film she wants, set up whichever DVD player will be used and put it on pause. My wife only has to hit the play button on Apple's little remote control and the film starts playing (she also needs to push the power switch on the projector). I don't know how I could make it any easier.

·
Registered
41 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by openbox9 /forum/post/13015047

Why can't you use FR with QT and Perian for your .mkv? I use it daily and it works wonderfully. The only limitation is that you need to open the .mkv in QT and save it as a .mov reference file and import that into iTunes.

The problem is that QT doesn't play DTS which 40% of my mkv's have. So QT is a no-go. VLC does play the movies but in a buggy random crash windows 98 kinda way...

Maybe CoreAVC which will be released feb 22 will help us but no AC3 support for that one and no subs....

/me presses install on Bootcamp and Windows XP....

·
Premium Member
3,025 Posts

Quote:
The problem is that QT doesn't play DTS which 40% of my mkv's have.

Maybe you shouldn't be illegally downloading so many of them then?

Or, to give you the benefit of the doubt, if you're creating them yourself, and you already know OS X doesn't have the support for .mkv quite ready yet, and you're already booting into Windows and doing the PowerDVD thing, maybe the best thing to do is head over to Ryan's MCE on Mac FAQ thread in the Windows forum--that's where all the old "Front Row doesn't meet my needs" and "Windows-has-amazing-front-end" whiners have relocated to.

Does anyone else think we'd be better off with .mkv-related playback discussion in a single master thread? It's just going to get more involved...

Quote:
/me presses install on Bootcamp and Windows XP....

/me thinks you should bookmark this thread:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=816450

·
Registered
41 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by chefklc /forum/post/13016109

Maybe you shouldn't be illegally downloading so many of them then?

I live in the netherlands where it's 100% legal to download this stuff. 100% fully legal.

·
Registered
1,353 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidgilmour /forum/post/13016383

I live in the netherlands where it's 100% legal to download this stuff. 100% fully legal.

Strange, so do I and I know that it is not legal. Perhaps you need to better inform yourself.

·
Registered
41 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Further /forum/post/13016422

Strange, so do I and I know that it is not legal. Perhaps you need to better inform yourself.

Get your facts straight. It is 100000% legal to download copyright material like movies and music. It's illegal to UPLOAD this material. Games and software are illegal to both download and upload.

You are confusing legally downloading a movie from a newsgroup with illegal stuff like bit-tor-tent and p2p etc.

http://www.iusmentis.com/auteursrecht/nl/thuiskopie/

·
Registered
1,353 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidgilmour /forum/post/13016564

Get your facts straight. It is 100000% legal to download copyright material like movies and music. It's illegal to UPLOAD this material. Games and software are illegal to both download and upload.

You are confusing legally downloading a movie from a newsgroup with illegal stuf like bit-tor-tent and p2p etc.

I will not argue with you about this. You need to inform yourself.

Several people have already given you helpful advice on how to do what you want. If these suggestions were helpful, I suggest we end the discussion here.

·
Registered
106 Posts
its REALLY sad that so many people here get upset when people complain about not having a conclusive HTPC front end....when that is what we are all here building.

have no front end theater program kind of defeats the purpose of having a home theater. The idea should be to have this complete setup where you can lounge and browse your theater content...and play as you wish.

i would suggest doing a poor but acceptable alternative:

Sofa Control and VLC is the best option at moment for browsing movies.

·
Registered
1,353 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluenotedesigns /forum/post/13022844

its REALLY sad that so many people here get upset when people complain about not having a conclusive HTPC front end....when that is what we are all here building.

Sorry, but I completely disagree. We are not all building an "HTPC front end". We are building a theatrical experience that suits our individual tastes and interests.

Just as we all don't like the same type of music or type of film, we don't all like the same sort of experience.

Quote:
have no front end theater program kind of defeats the purpose of having a home theater. The idea should be to have this complete setup where you can lounge and browse your theater content...and play as you wish.

That's your idea (and many other people's), but it's not mine (and many other people's).

·
Registered
54 Posts
What about using Remote buddy as your "front end". It allows you to use any application you wish on any file you have. Change your desktop to look like a movie theater and it might look ok as well.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts