AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
.mkv files gradually lose sync in VLC.

Everything starts out fine but after ~15 minutes it becomes noticable that dialogue is no longer matching lips.

Restarting VLC and resuming from the same point in the movie fixes the issue but it always just goes out of sync again. The quality of the audio is great, it never skips or stutters, just the sync that goes bad and just with 1080p MKV files.

I have heard mention of the " 20fps bug" but have been unable to find out more about it or if this is related.

Any advice as to where I can go from here? VLC is pretty much my only option as I can't get anything else to play DTS tarcks

·
Registered
425 Posts
Try MPC-HC. I think it's a much better player. I've had the same problem with my Final Destination rip but I'm not sure what the problem is.

·
Registered
425 Posts
MPC-HC has a built in DTS decoder so it should play. What do you mean no way to switch audio tracks? Do you have more than one audio track in the MKV? Does it not play the DTS by default? You can select which audio track you want to play by right clicking in the MPC-HC window while the MKV is playing. You should be able to select the audio track from there.

EDIT: I downloaded the latest version of MPC-HC (1.3.1752, HERE ) and installed it on a clean install of Windows 7 Professional x86. I kept all the default settings and played a sample MKV, downloaded online, of Ratatouille with a Russian AC3 track, English DTS track, and English subtitles. I was able to play both audio tracks with subtitles. It defaulted to the AC3 track and subtitles on but I was able to disable the subtitles and select the DTS track by right clicking in the MPC-HC window. If you want the DTS track to be the default audio track use mkvmerge to set the DTS track as the default audio. You can also select if you want subtitles on or off by default.

I'm curious, how did you get the MKV? Is it a rip you made or someone else made it and you downloaded it? Maybe something went wrong during the ripping process.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts