AVS Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All,

I wanted to check with the experts here to make sure I have my HTPC configured properly for what I am trying to do.

I have created MKV files from a few of my Blu-Ray disks via eac3to/mkvverge. I have encoded the lossless tracks in flac. I want to make sure that I am getting the best possible audio.

I finally upgraded to a new processor which will handle HDMI switching and the new lossless codecs. My video card is a ATI 4890 series card. It was a bit of a knock-down drag out affair to get any audio over HDMI. I now have audio, but the configuration tab for the ATI HDMI audio device shows only two channels. I installed the two Sharky007 codec packages and I am now getting 5 channel audio when playing an MKV. However, this shows up on my processor/receiver as being "Dolby Digital 3/2 +LFE." In the Sharky007 configuration page, I have discovered that unless I check the option for SPDIF passthrough, I only get 2 channel PCM. I suspect that I want to be outputting multi channel PCM as opposed to the SPDIF passthrough, as I think this might be down sampled.

I am using mediabrowser and intend to play MKV's through windows media center/player.

Do I have this configured correctly, or do I need to make some adjustments?

Thanks

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, I may have answered my own question here...

According to this board it looks like I'm limited to 2 channel PCM with my 4890 card:
http://www.xpmediacentre.com.au/comm...over-hdmi.html

This is my video card:

SAPPHIRE Vapor-X 100269VXLE Radeon HD 4890
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814102848

It looks like I may need to upgrade to a 5xxx series card to have my multi channel PCM going to my receiver/processor. My alternative is to have it down-sampled and sent via SPDIF over HDMI. Can anyone verify the last two statements?

This makes sense as I cannot get windows to show anything but 2 channels via my ATI HDMI interface.

Thanks

·
Registered
342 Posts
I get multichannel LPCM with my Sapphire 4670 (using a Sony HT-SS360 surround sound system). You are limted to 2 channel if you use the onboard HDMI port, if I recall correctly. I also rip BD to mkv w/ FLAC audio, but I use MPC-HC for playback. Also, I don't have the Shark codecs installed, I simply installed madflac and Haali to get the files to play with MPC. Also, for the HDMI audio, I'm using the Realtek driver, not the one that comes with the ATI drivers.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Swoosh.

My motherboard does not have a HDMI port, I am using the HDMI port on my video card. I am also using the Realtek drivers for audio from the 4890 card, but cannot get it to show more than only 2 channels in windows 7.

When you look under the supported formats tab of the HDMI out, do you see more than 2 under "Max Number of Channels?"

Thanks

·
Registered
342 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I think my issue is that I cannot configure my HDMI audio device to output more than 2 channels.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...blingHDMIAudio

Under this post, where it shows the speaker setup, my only option is for stereo.

I thought this may be a limitation of my card, due to the posts in that Australian forum, but it sounds like you have it working. Not sure what my problem is, as I thought I had the correct drivers installed etc... I guess I'll have to do some more homework. I'm thinking that if I can get 5.1/7.1 speaker configurations to show up under my speaker config, I should be there.

I very much appreciate your help.

·
Registered
342 Posts
I see. According to renethx, the user who provided most of the information in those 3 threads we posted, as long as you have a discrete video card (as you and I do), multichannel PCM is possible. It is only those who use the onboard HDMI (ATI 4200) that are restricted to the 2 ch, so I'm not sure where the info from that other board came from. Renethx may actually be able to point you in the right direction. From what I remember, I had the 5.1 option right away, so I'm not sure why it's not there for you. Hope you get this straightened out.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well, frustrated I reloaded the OS on my HTPC with Windows 7 64x.

I installed the Realtek ATI HDMI driver and it still only shows 2 channels available.

Can anyone confirm if it is indeed possible to have 6 channel LPCM from my video card?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...D=3136390&SID=

I have an onboard realtek audio chipset (No HDMI) on my mother board, it doesn't seem to matter whether this is enabled or disabled. I can only get my HDMI audio device to support 2ch stereo audio.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts