AVS Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I've tried every player I can, VLC, MPC, WMP, etc and codec pack, K-Lite, CoreAVC, etc. I cant get a simple 720P video to play without some stuttering. Heres my computer:

ASUS G74S - Interl Core i7 QM, 16 GB RAM, Geforce GTX 560M 3 GB, Win 7 Home Premium 64 Bit

Do I have a conflicting codec or something? Ill post details if someone suggests something they need to look at to assist me.

Many thanks in advance!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Had a similar problem with 1080 mkv and a slower system. I switched from 64 bit windows to 32 and everything works flawlessly. Hopefully someone can give you better advice but if all else fails you could try this.

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
Try J. River Media Center trial. It's independent of the codecs you have installed. If it works you'll know it's a codec issue. If it doesn't work, it points to deeper problems with your (plenty fast) setup.

·
Registered
2,209 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldstryder /forum/post/0

Had a similar problem with 1080 mkv and a slower system. I switched from 64 bit windows to 32 and everything works flawlessly. Hopefully someone can give you better advice but if all else fails you could try this.

He has a close to state of the art system. Speed, as in brute force, is not the issue.

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
Another issue could be bad encoding settings. Are these mkvs h264 encoded? Did you make them yourself? What is the audio being used?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldstryder /forum/post/20864459

Tried this, sadly it's the same issue... I don't know if "stuttering" is the right word, though. The experience I seem to have is there are portions of whatever I'm trying to watch that seem to drop frames. Maybe the codecs I'm using don't work with the "newer" hardware. Thoughts?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitbrit /forum/post/20864884

Try J. River Media Center trial. It's independent of the codecs you have installed. If it works you'll know it's a codec issue. If it doesn't work, it points to deeper problems with your (plenty fast) setup. Another issue could be bad encoding settings. Are these mkvs h264 encoded? Did you make them yourself? What is the audio being used?

Thank you for the advice. I actually tried J. River Media Center and it worked flawlessly! No "stuttering" or dropped frames on multiple MKV's which supports the thought that issue is with the codecs.

I don't believe it's an encoding issue, as all of the MKV's I'm trying are h264 encoded and I've played them before perfectly on a far less powerful laptop using K-Lite Codec Pack, DTS or DD sound to an A/V receiver to 50" plasma at 720P without any issues at all.

Where do I go from here? Do you have any further suggestions? Once again, greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
2,209 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by demod8698 /forum/post/20866929

Thank you for the advice. I actually tried J. River Media Center and it worked flawlessly! No "stuttering" or dropped frames on multiple MKV's which supports the thought that issue is with the codecs.

I don't believe it's an encoding issue, as all of the MKV's I'm trying are h264 encoded and I've played them before perfectly on a far less powerful laptop using K-Lite Codec Pack, DTS or DD sound to an A/V receiver to 50" plasma at 720P without any issues at all.

Where do I go from here? Do you have any further suggestions? Once again, greatly appreciated!

Well the least headache-inducing solution would be to buy J. River Media Center, I suppose. With buy being the operational word, it's not the cheapest solution.

The other thing would be to reformat the drive on the HTPC, and reinstall the OS. Then manually install only the codecs that J River Media Center is using with the free player of your choice. In the meantime, enjoy the flawless playback during the free trial, and investigate the huge number of features available if you have the chance.

·
Registered
103 Posts
hmm, i ditched Arcsoft TMT5 for MPC-HC x64 and im not getting stuttering anymore on 1080 24p content whether its a blu-ray folder or mkv file. Try uninstalling everything you have installed( players, codecs, drivers, etc..) and get back to basic windows 7 install. then add 1 thing back at a time to see what could possibly causing the problem. thats what i basically ended up doing until i solved the issue. good luck.

·
Registered
2,209 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by alias_1ab /forum/post/20867067

hmm, i ditched Arcsoft TMT5 for MPC-HC x64 and im not getting stuttering anymore on 1080 24p content whether its a blu-ray folder or mkv file. Try uninstalling everything you have installed( players, codecs, drivers, etc..) and get back to basic windows 7 install. then add 1 thing back at a time to see what could possibly causing the problem. thats what i basically ended up doing until i solved the issue. good luck.

This is a good suggestion. However, sometimes codec packs entrench themselves deep and are hard to get rid of their remnants. That's why I suggested a complete reinstall from basics, because I've had to do that a couple of times. Fortunately, today's codec packs are less malicious, so OP may be able to succeed with the iterative approach.

·
Registered
72 Posts
from this link below, you can download "Insurgent" which will help you find and remove all previously install codec packs. Once you remove everything, install LAV filters and madVR and you should get great playback in anything that can use these direct show filters.

http://www.cccp-project.net/

J River Media Center is the only program I'm aware of that will "just work" from a fresh install without having to understand something about codecs and filters, and set up some options in other players.

have fun!!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts