AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,247 Posts
That all depends on how it made. If you are doing 1:1 copies your MKV file will be 40GB. If you are you taking out subtitles/audio you dont need but leaving video 1:1 you can get down to 35GB. If you compress your movies anywhere from couple megs all the way back to 40gb

·
Premium Member
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That all depends on how it made. If you are doing 1:1 copies your MKV file will be 40GB. If you are you taking out subtitles/audio you dont need but leaving video 1:1 you can get down to 35GB. If you compress your movies anywhere from couple megs all the way back to 40gb
So i'm not getting the quality out of my rips from dvdfab. My file size are about 4-5 GB. If anyone is familiar with dvdfab please advise on settings Thanks.

·
Registered
2,247 Posts
If you are doing encoding down to 4-GB a movie then yes you are losing a lot of quality. A lot of people that compress there video usually cant tell a difference when they get into the 16GB range for a movie. So if you still want to compress change settings to hit that target. If you 1:1 quality you dont want any encoding done. I dont use dvdfab so dont know the settings. I use makemkv

·
Registered
70 Posts
I use dvdfab, you can choose passthrough mkv to do a 1:1 uncompressed copy of the BD, if you want to compress you file down choose mkv and you settings to control audio and video compression. Some are quick settings and others allow you can go deeper and change as much or as little as possible.

See picture 1

after choosing MKV(not passthrough), you can choose a quick file size setting, this is quick setting based off of any changes made in Advance setting page.

Picture 2

this inside of the advance settings page, you can choose to copy video (1:1) and just change the audio, you can copy audio and change video. You can customize the video quality by bitrate and output size.

See picture 3

after choosing customized, you can move the slider to your desired bitrate or output size(this is video only, finished file will be larger with the addition of audio and subtitles).

This is a very brief summery on the settings. There are encoding method settings that also effect quality.

My advice to you is take a disk, choose to rip a couple chapters only, dvd fab can do this, and try different setting that work out for you. Only choosing 1 or 2 chapters to copy keeps the time down for compressing (picture 4).

The less compression you choose will also make the total time go down.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I use dvdfab, you can choose passthrough mkv to do a 1:1 uncompressed copy of the BD, if you want to compress you file down choose mkv and you settings to control audio and video compression. Some are quick settings and others allow you can go deeper and change as much or as little as possible.

See picture 1

after choosing MKV(not passthrough), you can choose a quick file size setting, this is quick setting based off of any changes made in Advance setting page.

Picture 2

this inside of the advance settings page, you can choose to copy video (1:1) and just change the audio, you can copy audio and change video. You can customize the video quality by bitrate and output size.

See picture 3

after choosing customized, you can move the slider to your desired bitrate or output size(this is video only, finished file will be larger with the addition of audio and subtitles).

This is a very brief summery on the settings. There are encoding method settings that also effect quality.

My advice to you is take a disk, choose to rip a couple chapters only, dvd fab can do this, and try different setting that work out for you. Only choosing 1 or 2 chapters to copy keeps the time down for compressing (picture 4).

The less compression you choose will also make the total time go down.
Thanks! Your explanation made it very easy

·
Registered
189 Posts
If you're going to compress with DVDFab I suggest you use the constant quality option, then set the quality setting somewhere around 16-18. With these option my rips are usually range from 5-15G, with 12G about average (mostly depending on the amount of motion in the movie).

Also, don't alter the resolution size from DVDFab's default or it increases the rip size and duration dramatically, and your TV will rescale anyway.

·
Premium Member
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
If you're going to compress with DVDFab I suggest you use the constant quality option, then set the quality setting somewhere around 16-18. With these option my rips are usually range from 5-15G, with 12G about average (mostly depending on the amount of motion in the movie).

Also, don't alter the resolution size from DVDFab's default or it increases the rip size and duration dramatically, and your TV will rescale anyway.
Ok thanks

1 - 8 of 8 Posts