AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a home under construction that is nearing completion...and it will have a dedicated theater room that is approx 17' X 30'....I ran across a very good deal on a pair of ML Ascent i's that I pan on using for my front L and R.....

This is a room with no windows...and acoustically treated....it will be used almost 100% of the time for Movies.....

A couple of questions...

1. The Left and Rights will be in "cavities" built into my screen wall....the cavities are approx 18" wide and 30" deep....I think I read that the ML's need to be out in the open space....The speakers themselves will wind up flush with the screen wall....If they need to be completely out in the open, I may have to drop back and start the listening tour all over again to find a different manufacturer...(although the Ascenti's are sweet)

2. I haven't chosen between the "Theater" or the "Cinema" yet....when I built the room (which just got drywalled), I left approx. 43" opening for the center...but after the drywall the actual opening is 42 7/8"....the "Theater" model is 43" wide...so I would have to cut open the drywall slightly and slide it in....but it will result in the speaker having about 1/8" or so on each side that will be behind the opening.....not sure if this will affect the sound quality, because it seems when I have inspected the speaker at the dealer, the actual speaker starts about 1/4" on both sides...

3. My only choice in the Rears is the Frescoes......anyone have any experience with these for rears....and how high/low do they need to be mounted....

4. For the Sub.....since the other 5 speakers will be ML's.....does the sub HAVE to be a ML....or can I use a Velo or something else....I would hate to be struck by lightning by breaking the "all your speakers should be matched" rule...

I know this a little lengthy....but just looking for feedback....I have gleaned a tremendous amount of information from everyone here....Thanks in advance.....

·
Registered
388 Posts
The MLs need space at the sides as well as in the back. One of my Ascents is 2 feet from a side wall and that is too close. They need to be out in the open. You need to check on the requirements of the centre. They may need lots of space as well and may not work in a recessed space. If they are not well placed you will have wasted money as you are not getting best performance. You can down load the user manuals from the ML web page.

MLs are very fast speakers, so you will need a fast servo sub to keep up.

IMHO I would do a redesign to accomodate MLs in a dedicated HT. You should be able to accommodate them in a 17 x 30 room. It would certainly be worth it.

·
Registered
3,538 Posts
I can tell you from experience that very few "free standing" speakers do well in a recessed space. You need either to go "on wall" or "in wall" to compensate for the placement, or redesign your HT to get the speakers out into the room.

Not sure if this is what you want to hear, but you will find huge losses in sound quality otherwise...

Regards,

John

·
Registered
11 Posts
I was considering this type of flush installation a couple of years ago for the Ascents, and I asked David Penrod of ML about this at a CES. Apparently they have put at least a little thought into the idea, as he sent me these guidelines. BTW, I ended up using a freestanding arrangement, so I don't have any firsthand experience with wall cavities. Hope this helps, Jim.

ml_inwallmounting.pdf 30.6865234375k . file

Attachments

·
Registered
4,720 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by John Robert
I can tell you from experience that very few "free standing" speakers do well in a recessed space. You need either to go "on wall" or "in wall" to compensate for the placement, or redesign your HT to get the speakers out into the room.
Jim,

John's statement above is correct.

You are going to get really lousy sound if you put your speakers - Martin Logans or

otherwise - into "recesses" in the front wall. Even if you have speakers that are

specifically designed for "flush" installation - the flush mount speakers go on a flat wall -

NOT "recesses". Those recesses are going to be really BAD trouble.

I think you really need to rethink your theater's audio setup - perhaps get the advice of

a professional audio setup person.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.