AVS Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello there fellow enthusiasts,

i have a simple setup including a single ML Dynamo 200w 10" sub in a relatively small room. Recently the sub will no longer work. I did the usual checks of the power cord, settings and connection to the reciever (Pioneer Elite VSX-52). The fuse was blown so i replaced it which it fried once again. The next fuse i plugged in did not fry bu the unit will not turn on.

I am pretty handy with a soldering iron and not afraid to take that sucker apart but i was look for suggestions in teh event the repair is beyond my capability. There was very light use out tof the sub so the speaker and cabinet are fine. Some options I was exploring would be first to fix it, going after the fried component in the exisiting unit. Second would be to replace the plate amp with a similar or better one; or if this is even an option, bypass the amp using a direct connect and have the reciever power the sub through speaker wire.

Any thoughts?

Thanks all, Evan

·
Registered
13,107 Posts
Can you read a schematic, piece out one from observation? How tech-savvy are you? If you can spot a bad cap or mesaure a bad rectifier bridge, assuming it has one, or determine a bad output transistor, you might be able to open it and figure it out. If not, you may want to find a techie friend or ML service shop.

Amps such as these often include crossover and other circuitry that a stock plate amp may or may not replicate. I do not know in this case but would look over what it has and compare. A non-stock unit would probably also drop the resale value to nil if that matters. I would normally not replace the amp with a non-stock unit unless I could not get the stock unit repaired or replaced.

Have you asked ML?

1 - 2 of 2 Posts