AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
.......Sirius!! I have a friend who works for Best Buy and he said that their Sirius Sales Rep was in this week to show some new equipment that'll be coming out within the next few months and told the store manager that Sirius has signed on to carry the MLB games in 2005. The official announcement will come in about 2-3 weeks, after the World Series. Some "legalities" need to be cleared up before the signing is officially announced. With no NHL and most likely no NBA coverage this year on Sirius, this is a MAJOR coup for them. First Howard Stern, now MLB. A pretty good month for Sirius, don't you think?

·
Registered
625 Posts
If your right thats good news. I'm starting get get worried about bandwidth problems though. MLB brings with it a lot of games. Add that to the NHL when it starts up again and where do to put all these games with out in effect getting rid of most of the talk programming during the PM hours? I curious as to how Wall street will react to this news, it cannot have been cheap. But it does look like Sirius is setting it self up as the premier service!

·
Registered
2,992 Posts
If this is correct, don't be surprised if Sirius drops one(if not both). The NHL and NBA are great TV sports, but baseball was built for radio.

But this will not happen until the contract with each sport expires, which may be as early as next year.

Baseball plays better on radio than any other sport, even football(STILL LOVE IT THOUGH).

I'll believe it though when I read it or see it.

I have LITTLE faith from someone who spoke to anyone in a BB or CC, whether it was someone who worked there, or someone representing a company.

This could be fodder.

XM needs some good PR right now, so I would think they are pulling out all the stops to get this, even OVERPAYING for the ability to carry the games.

If XM does get it, it will work out great for consumers. Competition is always good for consumers.

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by STEELERSRULE
If this is correct, don't be surprised if Sirius drops one(if not both). The NHL and NBA are great TV sports, but baseball was built for radio.

But this will not happen until the contract with each sport expires, which may be as early as next year.

As of this moment, Sirius no longer carries the NBA and it doesn't look good for the NHL to even have a season right now. Sirius can use the channels currently alotted for college sports for the baseball games. Plus, I doubt that Sirius will carry every single game everyday. There were usually some "missing" games from the NBA and NHL each day.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Well as far as bandwidth, it's a good thing american hockey doesn't exist. lol I'm so stoked to see sirius get baseball, but how much can the sirius rep know? I have poop in my left hand and mlb joining sirius in the right hand. they look about the same as of now.

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quote:
That goes to show you that you should NEVER trust anyone. A Sirius sales rep says that they have the contract and a week later their competitor is the one who actually gets it. Either XM outbid Sirius at the last minute or the Sirius sales rep was full of you know what. I say the latter in this case.

·
Registered
2,992 Posts
Like I stated in an above post, this turns out to be FODDER from the Sirius rep, as usual.

The more I thought about it, if that guy did have that type of info, he could go out and purchase a ton of stock, and turn a quick profit. Hence the term "insider trading".

BRUIN95, you should go find that guy and get the SEC on his A**. That should have been the tipoff. No lowly sales rep will have that info.

This is actually great for the consumer. BOTH companies now have things that people want. Sirius=Howard Stern, NFL. XM=MLB, Opie & Anthony. This is GREAT news for consumers.

XM must have deperately tried to outbid Sirius on this. They needed the GOOD PR right now. Works out great for the consumer, no matter who you support.

Hopefully those units(PNP or whatever) that will both be able to receive XM and Sirius instead of the separate units for each service will be available soon.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I have not seen anything that supports the "desperate" part of the scenario. XM is has a larger audience at present which has desireable synergies for MLB.

I also look forward to the day when I can have a single receiver and dual subscriptions.

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by STEELERSRULE

Hopefully those units(PNP or whatever) that will both be able to receive XM and Sirius instead of the separate units for each service will be available soon.
Is some company actually working on this or is this wishful thinking?

·
Registered
2,992 Posts
The companies are actually REQUIRED by the FCC to eventually have receivers(or head units in cars) that can receive BOTH/or ONE of either Sirius and XM. The consumer would make the choice of having one or the other, or BOTH, without having to change units all the time. The head unit in a car, for example, would receive AM, FM, XM, and Sirius in one unit.

I am not sure of the timetable, but when both companies were founded they were told to have these type of units available after a certain period of time. If they did not agree to this, they would have never been given the license to operate from the government.

It was part of the deal.

JohnofTesh,

If you don't think that XM needed some good PR right about now, you haven't been reading or hearing the news lately.

I have no inside info on negotiations, but I would not be shocked if XM got "desparate" and made an offer to MLB that may be, in a sense, overbidding.

XM has FINALLY done something to show their consumers that they are doing something to improve their product. Sirius HAS been doing this with the NFL, Howard Stern, and college sports broadcasts.

XM NEEDED to make a big splash, and I for one could not be happier. NO ONE COMPANY should dominate(even though currently XM has 2.6 million subs compared to 600,000 for Sirius) over another to the point of monopolizing a certain service. This works poorly for consumers, forced to pay whatever by the dominate company.

If Sirius had won this bidding war, XM would have some serious future content issues. What would they be saying to people who had the service. Alot of people would have jumped ship if that happened. That I do believe.

But in the end it all worked out well for everyone. Both services have products that people want and therefore will hopefully keep both going and keep prices down.

·
Registered
6,329 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by bruin95
.......Sirius!! I have a friend who works for Best Buy and he said that their Sirius Sales Rep was in this week to show some new equipment that'll be coming out within the next few months and told the store manager that Sirius has signed on to carry the MLB games in 2005. The official announcement will come in about 2-3 weeks, after the World Series. Some "legalities" need to be cleared up before the signing is officially announced. With no NHL and most likely no NBA coverage this year on Sirius, this is a MAJOR coup for them. First Howard Stern, now MLB. A pretty good month for Sirius, don't you think?
LOL....I couldn't believe my eyes when I clicked on this post.

Is your friend at Best Buy is the same drone that tried to sell me Monster Cables?

Just kidding.....I really expected to see XM when I clicked and it just struck me as funny. I've got a weird sense of humor.:D

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.