AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've looked for info on some possible sources of baseball in HD for this year but I've not been able to find anything.

Does anyone have any news about which networks might be carrying baseball in hi-def?

·
Registered
278 Posts
I don't know if this will effect you at all, but WGN in Chicago has announced that they will be broadcasting all their home Cubs and White Sox games in HD. Plus, Fox should have their HD up and running by playoff time.

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
I would imagine, sangs, that InHD will pull from all the local sources, like WPIX, WGN, the Red Sox, Baltimore, Phillies, etc. wouldn't you??

It seems like we might get plenty of baseball this next season. Also if you believe the post Skyboss put out a while back, Directv could add East, Central, and West Fox Sports feed in EDTV.

Did all the baseball fans see ESPN2 will carry a spring training game(not in HD)????

·
Registered
LG 55" C9 OLED, Yamaha RX-A660, Monoprice 5.1.2 Speakers, WMC HTPC, TiVo Bolt, X1
45,754 Posts
Read the HDTV Programming Synopsis.

·
Registered
6,557 Posts
Well, in the DC area, Comcast Sports Network is our local Regional Sports Network. They Carry a lot of Oriols home games in HDTV. They will likely feed some games to INHD.

Of course ESPN-HD will have games, and Fox won't have HD until Fall, so that likely means no MLB HD on them until 2005 at the earliest. Maybe the World Series.

·
Registered
768 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by CycloneGT
Well, in the DC area, Comcast Sports Network is our local Regional Sports Network. They Carry a lot of Oriols home games in HDTV. They will likely feed some games to INHD.

Of course ESPN-HD will have games, and Fox won't have HD until Fall, so that likely means no MLB HD on them until 2005 at the earliest. Maybe the World Series.
Does Fox have the WS this year? I am not a huge baseball fan but I do like the playoffs. If Fox is the WS broadcaster, this would be a great time for them to showcase their new HD capabilities which will hopefully be in place by October.

·
Registered
LG 55" C9 OLED, Yamaha RX-A660, Monoprice 5.1.2 Speakers, WMC HTPC, TiVo Bolt, X1
45,754 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by DDisney
Does Fox have the WS this year? I am not a huge baseball fan but I do like the playoffs. If Fox is the WS broadcaster, this would be a great time for them to showcase their new HD capabilities which will hopefully be in place by October.
Excerpted from Mark's Sportslaw News! - September 2000
Quote:
Fox expands its sports stable.

Willing to gamble on a sport which suffers from ratings problems, the network announced it would acquire the national over-the-air rights to televise Major League Baseball games from 2001-06 for a price of $2.5 billion.

This is the first exclusive broadcast network deal for baseball in almost a decade. In the early 1990s, CBS acquired the exclusive rights in a marriage that turned sour. Rival NBC, ABC, and CBS declined to bid.

Fox will have the exclusive right to broadcast the World Series and all other postseason games. Fox will pay an average of about $400 million annually, which represents a 44 percent increase over the previous agreement with Fox and NBC, which payed $290 million annually.
In calender year 2003, Fox MLB games accounted for 2 of the top ten rated programs on television, 4 out of the top 20 rated programs and 6 out of the top 30 rated programs. These ratings include TV programs available from all sources; over-the-air, cable, and satellite.

With those ratings in mind, it sounds completely reasonable to me that we'll see the 2004 World Series in HDTV from Fox.

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
In times of change, people who are for the change are never happy with the rate of change.

Geez people, we hear news that HD offerings will double or triple, and it still isn't enough...

·
Registered
3 Posts
Rogers HD have the blue Jays which is the best quality picture i've seen for sports.

As for Fox, they had the world series in wide screen (or WS in WS :) ) in 480p. But it was an improvement with the SD

·
Registered
84 Posts
On my Comcast system, I am looking forward to the 3 games per week on INHD which they cover exclusively in HD + whatever ESPN HD ends up covering each week (I'd guess at least 1 game per week from ESPN HD)... sounds pretty exciting.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by cptben
Rogers HD have the blue Jays which is the best quality picture i've seen for sports.

As for Fox, they had the world series in wide screen (or WS in WS :) ) in 480p. But it was an improvement with the SD
Do you know where I can find a schedule for the Blue Jays in Hd for the upcoming season??

·
Registered
2,751 Posts
Expecting at least SNB from ESPN, plus home Red Sox games, and the InHD games each week. Hopefully ESPN will do some weeknight baseball as well, but I'm sure there will be plenty of bitching and moaning in these parts when ESPN does, as those games are subject to local blackout!

Not expecting anything from FOX, except maybe the WS.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by CycloneGT

I'm in the DC area too. So, when CSN broadcasts an O's game in HD, will the feed on channel 629 just come through in HD or do I have to go to a different station??

·
Registered
278 Posts
Cubs HD Games (all on WGN unless otherwise marked. Assuming Fox Widescreen and ESPN HD):

4/12 vs. Pirates - 1:20 PM

4/15 vs. Pirates - 1:20 PM

4/16 vs. Reds - 2:20 PM

4/17 vs. Reds - 1:20 PM *

4/19 vs. Reds - 1:20 PM

4/23 vs. Mets - 2:20 PM

4/25 vs. Mets - 1:20 PM *

5/06 vs. Diamond Backs - 1:20 PM

5/08 vs. Rockies - 1:20 PM *

5/09 vs. Rockies - 1:20 PM *

5/21 vs. Cardinals - 2:20 PM

5/22 vs. Cardinals - 12:20 PM (Fox Widescreen) *