AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 111 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering if anyone has heard if any of the MLB League Division Series games will be in HD on ESPN-HD?

·
Registered
1,781 Posts
I don't think it will happen. If they were planning on it, I think we already would have seen them worked into the schedule. Ken H, who obviously knows more than me on HD subjects, is more optimistic.

·
Registered
LG 55" C9 OLED, Yamaha RX-A660, Monoprice 5.1.2 Speakers, WMC HTPC, TiVo Bolt, X1
45,648 Posts
Fox

- Fox will carry the 2003 World Series in Fox Widescreen.

- No official word is available about the other MLB playoff games on Fox. It should be noted AVS member foxeng works for a Fox affiliate and is privy to network information before it becomes public knowledge.

ESPN

- For the 2003 season, ESPN & ESPN2 will carry a minimum of 9 and a maximum of 14 MLB Divisional Playoff Games, highlighted by 3 primetime games.

- It's not known how many, if any, of these games will be in HDTV. I'm working on this as we speak.

·
Registered
14,479 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Ken H
- No official word is available about the other MLB playoff games on Fox. It should be noted AVS member foxeng works for a Fox affiliate and is privy to network information before it becomes public knowledge.
As of last week still only the World Series. There will be no "official" announcement since FOX doesn't publicly state which programming is in WS. (I wish they did. Would make my job easier!)

·
Registered
17,673 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by foxeng
As of last week still only the World Series. There will be no "official" announcement since FOX doesn't publicly state which programming is in WS. (I wish they did. Would make my job easier!)
But then you wouldn't have your secret identity as an inside informant :D.

·
Registered
14,479 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by NetworkTV
But then you wouldn't have your secret identity as an inside informant :D.
I would GLADLY give that up!;)

·
Registered
LG 55" C9 OLED, Yamaha RX-A660, Monoprice 5.1.2 Speakers, WMC HTPC, TiVo Bolt, X1
45,648 Posts
I've received no word, the schedule shows nothing, so the assumption is that ESPN will not do MLB playoffs in HD.

·
Registered
3,557 Posts
espnHD should drop football in HD this time of year for post season baseball in HD

·
Registered
312 Posts
It's simply amazing to me that a local sports network (NESN) can get their act together to broadcast every Red Sox (toward the end of the season) and Bruins home game in high defintion, yet the biggest broadcaster in sports programming on the planet can't do better than a couple of NFL games every weekend. I shouldn't be surprised... EPSN is the same network bringing us strech-o-vision (blech!!!).

What's up with the HD truck that NESN was using? Can't they rent it EPSN or something?

-Steve

·
Registered
2,135 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by kevin j
espnHD should drop football in HD this time of year for post season baseball in HD
As a football and a baseball fan, I agree. If Fox or ESPN can only give us one or the other then I would take post season baseball in HD/widescreen over regular season football. I know I'm in the minority but it will be a great disappointment if neither the ALCS or NLCS is in widescreen.

·
Registered
3,119 Posts
i agree with kevin and DOBE....

however, they shouldnt have to sacrifice one for the other. its seems very logical to me that they could take the college truck from saturday, drive it to the mlb game in the next two days and have it set up by first pitch on tuesday.

but i only have information on what ive gathered from the forums. im NOT saying espn-hd is a fraud. only im disappointed that all this great programming is going to be hdtv with TWO trucks at espn's disposal. :(

·
Registered
194 Posts
This is all new, i'm sure next season the HD programming will have tripled, most , if not all primetime will be in HD and a ton more sports will be :), i'm sure they will have their problems sorted and more trucks next time around.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Yes, I know - I was one of those people clamoring for ESPN-HD. I threatened Charlie with jumping ship to DirecTV (and I would have).

But, as some young teens have been known to say after their first time, "Is THIS it???"

[rant on]

While I am definitely enjoying the SNF games, I can't believe the "ESPN-HD CHANNEL" was launched with almost no HD content and no ability to add HD quickly. How exactly did they justify a whole ESPN-HD CHANNEL when they don't have the ability to even add HD *PLAYOFF* games in a major sport? A couple of *hours* a week of HD was good enough to justify an ESPN-HD *CHANNEL*?

TWO TRUCKS?????? That's their excuse for not showing any HD games??

As John Stossel (another favorite of mine) would say, "GIVE ME A BREAK!"

[/rant off]

Believe it or not, I don't follow baseball and don't even really understand the game. I am a football fan. But, as "America's Pastime," I find it hard to believe that ESPN-HD - the "leader in sports programming" is not going to do any playoff games in HD for such a major sport.

·
Registered
95 Posts
With the Red Sox (NESN) owning their own HD equipment/truck (and Fenway wired & set up to provide HD broadcasts), why wouldn't one of the networks showing the Fenway games take advantage and broadcast in HD? Makes no sense.

Does anyone have any knowledge of why this couldn't happen or if any negotiations are taking place?

The HD production trucks being used for football doesn't wash.....................

·
Registered
170 Posts
No, not the Bambino, you'll see - This is the Year !!!

but when NESN manages to bring regular season HD for all home games just in time for the last couple weeks of the season and the playoff race - then the postseason starts we get nothing ?? To hell with the national networks - local fans deserve NESN and HD games for the playoffs !!

·
Registered
202 Posts
if espn/espn2/and fox are carrying the current div playoffs, and fox has the world series, who is carrying the next round (AL and NL championships)?

1 - 20 of 111 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.