AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

Finally!!!!!! I have connected my Yamaha Rx-V673 & MLT-2 speakers. Thanks to every one who posted comments on MLT-2 and Yamaha Rx-V673.

As usual I have an issue with my Subwoofer. Its not making noticeable sound, I am not sure whether I am using right words, communicating rightly. Center speaker is taking over the sub. All the sound is coming out of center and front and rear speakers. Sub is quite, very less sound coming out of sub.

I have selected right distance. I am not sure about level, i have selected all to +1db. and I am not using any equalizer.

If any one configured MLT-2 with similar AVR, please guide me. I am waiting.

Thanks and Regards

Chica17

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Just now checked, changed the phase from 180 to 0. No affect, no improvement.

Same as before. Very very low sound. even I cant recognize is it the same song playing.

·
Registered
7,063 Posts
Exactly how do you have the subwoofer connected to the receiver?

What controls are there on the subwoofer and how are they set?

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have a RCA Cable, Y connected to the sub and single end connected to the AVR. In AVR I have a jack called sub woofer 1 & 2 jacks. I have connected it to 1.

cable is this with Y splitter - http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=102&cp_id=10236&cs_id=1023603&p_id=6305&seq=1&format=2

Do I need to look for something else??

Controls on the sub are,

1. Level - set to more than half

2. Low pass filter - set to normal range (more than half)

3. phase - set to 0 deg

4. I have a set button which says On-Auto-Off - set to Auto

·
Registered
28,743 Posts
1. Have you run YPAO with setup mic?

2. Are all your speakers set to small? If so all bass below a certain frequency would be redirected to the sub

3. What is the crossover setting?

According to the specs these are the frequency responses of the sats and center

MLT-2 SPEAKER:

- 110–20,000 Hz ±2db

- 2000 Hz Crossover Freq

MLT-2 CENTER:

- 130–20,000 Hz ±2db

- 2300 Hz Crossover Freq

Your receiver should have a crossover of 130hz or higher with this system.

·
Registered
28,743 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chica17  /t/1422035/mlt-2-set-up-with-yamaha-rx-v673#post_22254730

I have a RCA Cable, Y connected to the sub and single end connected to the AVR. In AVR I have a jack called sub woofer 1 & 2 jacks. I have connected it to 1.

cable is this with Y splitter - http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=102&cp_id=10236&cs_id=1023603&p_id=6305&seq=1&format=2

Do I need to look for something else??

Controls on the sub are,

1. Level - set to more than half

2. Low pass filter - set to normal range (more than half)

3. phase - set to 0 deg

4. I have a set button which says On-Auto-Off - set to Auto

Turn your low pass filter all the way to the right, the receiver will handle bass management.

Set the switch to ON right now until everything is configured correctly, then you can set it back to Auto.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
One of right and left jacks, I have LFE jack in brackets of right jack, I removed Y from RCA and connected that to Sub LFE single terminal. It also did not help, when I do that to Sub, do i need to change the jack in AVR also? I noticed some Coaxial jacks back in AVR do i need to try that too?

Anyway right now in office, I try once I go bacl to home this evening.

Thanks for all the suggestions!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
28,743 Posts
coaxial jacks have nothing to do with the subwoofer output. You have dedicated sub outs on that receiver. use the sub out labeled "1" below the speaker terminals.

You didn't answer my earlier question. Did you ever run YPAO with the calibration mic?

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I am sorry, for not answering.

1. NO, I did not ran YPAO with calibration mic....I heard it makes lot of sound while calibrating, some times go to maximum so yesterday it was 1am and did not wanted to get beating from neighbours :)

Do you think will it help? i was not sure. If you suggest it will make lot of difference, I will try evening. What you think?

2. Yes all the speakers set to Small

3. I have to check the corss over setting, is it frequency setting? or db setting?. Frequncy for sub set to 80Hz I think and db set to normal, all front and surroung set to +1db

·
Registered
7,063 Posts
You should run two cables from the receiver to the subwoofer.

Subout 1 on the receiver should connect to one of the subwoofer input jacks, and Subout 2 on the receiver should connect to the other subwoofer input jack.

The frequency limit control ON THE SUBWOOFER ITSELF should be set to around 100 Hz or 120 Hz or higher. Its ouput level control should be set to near maximum, say 80% of max.

Turn all of the frequency management settings and functions of the receiver to OFF!!!! Allow all frequencies to go to all speakers temporarily. This will eliminate or identify whether the problem is in the receiver.

Make sure you are playing some music with bass drum or string bass rhythm and if there is no bass the subwoofer amplifier must be defective.

A final way to make absolutely sure that the subwoofer amplifier is bad is to take one cable and connect it to one subwoofer input with it turned up. Then take one finger and dampen it with saliva and put it across the contacts at the other end of the cable.

This will produce a loud 60 Hz hum if it working; if not, it is dead.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I am confused now.

What I should do first?

Set the frequencies? if yes, whose? speakers or sub or center?

and what is the reason of connecting 2 cables to AVR and to Sub?. Just to check the Sub amplifier? of the receiver?

Please please help me understand this.

Regards

Chica

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ok, Finally at least i could able to test this...

A final way to make absolutely sure that the subwoofer amplifier is bad is to take one cable and connect it to one subwoofer input with it turned up. Then take one finger and dampen it with saliva and put it across the contacts at the other end of the cable.

This will produce a loud 60 Hz hum if it working; if not, it is dead.

Sub woofer very well produces the hum....when I half removed co axial cable from its jack, its making big hum.....is it right?? i am understand it right??

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
What is the sound level should be to check sub/?? i am listening at -40db to -30db. Do I need to increase and check? does that make any affect?

For these speakers do we need to set the ohm value from 8ohm to 6 ohm???

·
Registered
7,063 Posts
Since the subwoofer produces hum when you put your finger on the input cable, it seems to be working OK.

Two cables to the sub are needed for correct hookup; all the time.

It appears that you are not getting ANY output from the SUB 1 and SUB 2 jacks of the receiver.

If you turn off the frequency correction / controls on the receiver, those jacks should definitely be putting out a signal. You should get full signal to all speakers that way.

If not, the receiver seems to be defective.

A 6 ohm setting should work for almost any speaker.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I am getting there!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks for u r guidance!!!!!!

I can now here some noticeable bass. I turned up max cross over and level knobs to max. and cross over frequency in AVR set to 200Hz.

couple of other problems i found. is Aux input sound coming in only in 2 fronts. any idea what needs to be done???

·
Registered
28,743 Posts

Quote:
couple of other problems i found. is Aux input sound coming in only in 2 fronts. any idea what needs to be done???

Change sounds fields from stereo to something else. Maybe 5 channel stereo or whatever Yamaha calls it.
Quote:
I can now here some noticeable bass. I turned up max cross over and level knobs to max. and cross over frequency in AVR set to 200Hz.

Don't turn the volume level all the way up, please use the calibration mic to get your speakers volumes set correctly.

don't really like a 200hz crossover, try something in the 120-150hz range.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thank you so much guys!!!!!!!!!!! Finally now after YPAO setting and sub set to 80% of max, and 120Hz cross over. Looks good.

Not yet 100% but, far better than a day before. I was worried if any of AVR and Sub are defective, not at least its confirmed that nothing is defective. Its just the fine tuning is what need to be done.

MLT-2 Satellites are ROCKING!!!!!!!!!!

Thank you so much again to Commsysman and afrogt..........

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Still I am getting Audio input only in 2 fronts and a Sub. When I clicked information it shows, its 2 channel. Is it because i am playing movie from my laptop and input source is 2 channel or is it really a setting in SUB. ???

when I play music from USB its shows it as 5 channel, when i play it from laptop or Aux input it plays only 2 channel.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts