AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I hated 720p on ABC when I had my 65xwx, but when I finally got Hitachi to swap me out in March of this year, I didn't get a chance to view football in both formats, and must admit 720p on ABC is really good.

The 1080i on CBS is still clearly better, but that could be because my set will only do a scan rate up to 31.5 khz, and if it would display 720p native it would need I think something like 45khz?

It is close enough that I must admit that I am curious to see how 720p would look on a 57 or larger RPTV that did do 720p in a native rate. Unless I am missing something, which is possible by my own admission, all else equal I may like 720p more if it all looks like MNF does in all 3 of the games so far.

Is there anything related to MNF being the biggest game in town so they just are using better equipment or bandwidth or anything else that doesn't relate to 1080i versus 720p? At least I can relax more when Warner cable in Houston gets their ESPN in HD now in 3 weeks, because it will also be in 720p and so hopefully with that ABC/ESPN common ownership the quality will be close if not the same to this.

·
Registered
845 Posts
Addicted help, I am a bit confused as to what TV you now have. If it will only do a scan rate of 31.5, that is only 480P.

With ABC shooting MNF in 720P, I would assume that the best way to view it would be on a native 720P display, via DVI if possible. This is why I have been setting up my football fanatic friends with the Sammy suite (507 & 165).

As far as what looks better between 720P & 1080i, this has pretty much been settled on for a while. For slow moving images, 1080i will realize much more resolution. However, for fast moving images (such as sports) 720P has a more solid presentation. This will be a non issue as soon as 1080P capable displays become the norm. This is not too far off either. I must admit though, the last tennis match on CBS (1080i) looked fantastic on the Sammy at 720P, none of the shakiness I normally see when feeding a 1080i test pattern through it.

·
Registered
2,898 Posts
What set do you guys own that can display 720p and 1080i in their native resolutions, a Toshiba LCoS? It seems most fixed pixel digital sets are limited to 720p resolution, and most CRT sets can't display 720p native so they convert it to 1080i. So most peoples hardware limits what they actually see. Most digital set owners see 1080i at 720p resolution, and most CRT owners see 720p scaled up to 1080i with 1080i refresh rates.

What set are you using to make some sort of educated comparison between the 2 formats? Does Hitachi make a set that features 1920x1080 resolution?

·
Registered
845 Posts
The comparison I was referring to was the difference in scaling artifacts. When a Sammy DLP displays a test pattern at it's native 720P, it is rock solid. But when the same display has to down convert the test pattern from 1080i, it seems to be a bit jumpy. I did not, however, notice this on actual video material when I let the STB do the conversion of incoming 1080i and outputting it as 720P to the TV.

When I have done the same type of tests on a CRT capable of displaying both scan rates natively, I couldn't really tell the difference.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.