AVS Forum banner

1581 - 1600 of 4759 Posts

·
Registered
252 Posts
Thanks for the advice and help. I had noted the Feb 1 FCC deadline for changes in PSIP data stream. Perhaps everything will get sorted out by then. Right now, I tend to believe that WEAR has some error in their PSIP data stream (but I can't prove it!) I'm doing frequent rescans hoping that the problem will be solved. But since I got out of the habit of watching WEAR for the past few years when they refused to even attempt HDTV, I don't feel that I'm missing very much.

·
Registered
63 Posts
No one here that can address your problem with an engineering question on a weekend? Boy, that must be a change from the old days when the FCC required a First Class Operator on duty whenever the transmitter was on. I know that they dropped the requirement for constant physical presence at the transmitter site when the newer transmitters came on line, they are more stable and can be operated even remotely without much engineer or operator attention. I think now the station groups even share a single chief engineer among several stations, very interesting if the stuff hits the fan!

·
Registered
42 Posts

Quote:
Originally posted by crimsonblake
Is anyone watching the NFC championship on Fox? I'm still having the same issues I had with Fox back in week 1.

Literally any program outside of sports comes in fine and dandy on WALA, but when it comes to the NFL or even the World Series, every few seconds there seems to be what I call a "digital fart".

Come on WALA, after 16 weeks of broadcasting the NFL, you should have this problem fixed.

I'm getting the exact same thing. CBS OTA is flawless. Wear 3 still not coming in either. I'm in west Mobile at Airport and Snow Rd. Joe says they are still working on things.

·
Registered
22 Posts
What are the options for getting the networks over satellite? I don't care so much about getting local channels as I do about getting the network feeds.

-Thomas

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,586
Thomas,

It use to be you had to get a waiver from the each of the local stations for a distant HD network feed, i.e. WKRG grants CBS waivers, WALA grants FOX, etc. And that was almost impossible in Pensacola.

David Winchester ran up against a new one when checking on FOX-HD from D*. As a new subscriber, D* will not allow him distant network feed because he has access to local stations programming via D*'s local network. Even if he got a waiver D* won't give him FOX-HD. That is their word based on new FCC rules that went into effect in Dec.

I suggest you call them yourself for the straight scoop. I don't think you are allow to "op out" of the local networks just to get distant network feed unless your in a O&O area, which Mobile/Pensacola isn't. But check for yourself.

E* has only CBS, no other networks.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Does anyone know how to file a complaint with the FCC concerning crap broadcast like WALA??

I'm tired of contacting Joe and Fields over and over for the same problems.

Thanks J C

·
Registered
63 Posts

Quote:
Originally posted by JC West
Does anyone know how to file a complaint with the FCC concerning crap broadcast like WALA??

I'm tired of contacting Joe and Fields over and over for the same problems.

Thanks J C
http://www.fcc.gov

Don't expect much. Unless they can make political hay out of it (like Howard Stern's foul mouth or Janet Jackson's "wardrobe malfunction"), you'll probably get the standard reply from the commission's public affairs section....we'll bring this to the licencee's attention and have them look into it.

·
Registered
231 Posts
I talked to Fields up at WALA. He said that the source of the audio/video breaksups is in their fiber optic connection to Orlando. Evidently they don't have the required bandwith to stream both Analog Fox, HD Fox, Digital WB (he said WB-HD, i kept correcting him but he didn't respond to it) and Analog WB. He said that to either remedy the problem for the Super Bowl, or possibly for the long run, of taking digital WB off the air. This is still in discussion, honestly I don't think this will happen, but you never know. Anyway he said he would stay in contact with me via email til the problem was resolved.

I'm not going to trust WALA to have this fixed for the Super Bowl, I'm anticipating having to "move" to watch the Super Bowl error free.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Hate to beat a dead horse, but is anybody in the GulfBreeze area getting

wear 3-hd yet, again? Also, what is the email address for the tech there.

·
Registered
42 Posts

Quote:
Originally posted by crimsonblake
He said that to either remedy the problem for the Super Bowl, or possibly for the long run, of taking digital WB off the air. This is still in discussion, honestly I don't think this will happen, but you never know.

I would hope they could atleast temporarily suspend dig WB for the SB, I'm not sure about others but I never watch that channel anyways.

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,594
jrfsu1.

WEAR email is Joe Smith

·
Registered
783 Posts
Cox also offering "Universal HD" channel as well. I'm also getting Discovery HD, though I originally did not sign up for it (extra $), but now getting it... wonder if it's a mistake, a promo, or now just part of the regular HD line-up.

Still waiting for FOX, ABC, CBS... how frustrating not to see these in Hi-Def!!!!!

·
Registered
12 Posts

Quote:
Originally posted by jrfsu1
dne,

That is weird because i get fox,cbs,nbc,pbs,upn, and wb all solid, but no abc (wear).

Same here. I corresponded with Joe Smith at wear and he told me to scan the channels and maybe that would work. That did not work and I let him know it but he has not replied. It (wear) came in great when they first brought it online but when they "fixed their problem" I lost their signal. I am lucky living on DI since I can watch ABC Miss.

·
Registered
168 Posts

Quote:
Originally posted by docrings
Cox also offering "Universal HD" channel as well. I'm also getting Discovery HD, though I originally did not sign up for it (extra $), but now getting it... wonder if it's a mistake, a promo, or now just part of the regular HD line-up.

Still waiting for FOX, ABC, CBS... how frustrating not to see these in Hi-Def!!!!!

Cox started providing Discovery HD and ESPN HD for free back in December. Here is the Cox HD Pricing Page

Steve

·
Registered
785 Posts
Does anyone have, or know where i can get a 3 meter or longer HD15 to Component cable. I'm doing an install monday and all of my distributors are backordered for this cable. The customer has an rca dtc 100 hd box.

Thanks,

Daniel

·
Registered
63 Posts

Quote:
Originally posted by docrings

I'm a Cox HDTV customer in Crestview. Discovery HD is part of their free HD tier when you rent their HD digital box. I get Discovery HD, WPMI-HD, Universal HD, IN-HD 1 and 2, WSRE-HD, and ESPN-HD. If I subscribed to Showtime and HBO I would get their HD channels as well.

I love that IN-HD channel, watched a Chicago / Earth, Wind and Fire concert at the Greek Theatre, my teenage son was amazed at the picture. I told him you have your toys, I have mine. the difference is I share...

1581 - 1600 of 4759 Posts