AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Banned
7,964 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK...so far, this sucks...but I am hoping someone has something which can help me.

My mobo died and I replaced it with one almost identical, to make things easier on me. I replaced an Asus P5Q-EM with an Asus P5Q-E. Close enough? No, not for DRM.

So...I am left with a dozen shows I cannot watch now. Stupid shows, such as The People's Court (my wife loves it, though)...and a local news station where a cousin was on TV.

How do I strip off the DRM so I can watch them again. I am more than willing to convert them to another format if needed. If it violates the forum rules to talk about it, PM me please.

Marital bliss depends on this!

·
Registered
876 Posts
You might try converting them to another format if possible. With that info someone may be able to help you. Just another reason I haven't gone to Win7 MC. There is no reason those files should be protected other than Microsoft and their DRM BS that is overboard.

·
Banned
7,964 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Basically, I have shows I recorded on my Win7 box. I replaced the mobo and now I cannot watch them. They are copy protected and linked to the old mobo.

I need to crack the DRM so I can watch them...anyone know how?

·
Registered
876 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cybrsage /forum/post/20788935

Basically, I have shows I recorded on my Win7 box. I replaced the mobo and now I cannot watch them. They are copy protected and linked to the old mobo.

I need to crack the DRM so I can watch them...anyone know how?

I've seen a couple of posts on this forum about converting the WTV files to another format like mpeg-2 which you can play with just about anything. Try a search.

·
Registered
7,794 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsilvest /forum/post/20789105

I've seen a couple of posts on this forum about converting the WTV files to another format like mpeg-2 which you can play with just about anything. Try a search.

I don't think this is related to breaking the drm though.

·
Registered
876 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteboy714 /forum/post/20789684

I don't think this is related to breaking the drm though.

I'm suggesting because I don't use WMC7 and it appears no one else is jumping in with any ideas. It's worth a try since the DRM problem may be with WMC and not embedded into the files. If others have converted the files then it should be the case. In fact, it may not even be DRM as such and related to the UAC and permissions which I found screwy when I ran the 7 beta.

·
Registered
959 Posts
If the recordings are in fact flagged copy-once then you can't edit them, you can't even open them w/ 3rd party software, however most FiOS markets have everything flagged copy-freely and even if you're not in one them locals channels should be copy-freely.

·
Registered
2,020 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cybrsage /forum/post/20788781

How do I strip off the DRM so I can watch them again. I am more than willing to convert them to another format if needed.

What kind of tuner are you using? There's a good chance that the files are unrecoverable. If they are actually encrypted (e.g. Copy Once content recorded via a DCT) and 7MC won't play them back, AFAIK you are SOL. Sorry.

·
Banned
7,964 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovemyram4x4 /forum/post/20789777

If the recordings are in fact flagged copy-once then you can't edit them, you can't even open them w/ 3rd party software, however most FiOS markets have everything flagged copy-freely and even if you're not in one them locals channels should be copy-freely.

They are marked as protected. So far, all the programs I have used that actually converted it gave me a black screen in the new file.

·
Banned
7,964 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by babgvant /forum/post/20790237

What kind of tuner are you using? There's a good chance that the files are unrecoverable. If they are actually encrypted (e.g. Copy Once content recorded via a DCT) and 7MC won't play them back, AFAIK you are SOL. Sorry.

Just downloaded it. I have to download the needed other parts and then I will try it out.

·
Registered
29 Posts
so let me get this straight. right now i have a colossus recording .wtv movies and tv shows. if i ever want to upgrade my mb or cpu i lose all drm content? worse if something crashes i lose drm content?

what is the best defense for this then?

i have heard videoredo and ripbot264 now support wtv but havent tried them yet.

should i just stock exact replacement parts?

·
Registered
2,020 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by villian512 /forum/post/20790899

so let me get this straight. right now i have a colossus recording .wtv movies and tv shows. if i ever want to upgrade my mb or cpu i lose all drm content? worse if something crashes i lose drm content?

No. The Colossus (and other capture cards like it) are not subject to this issue. The files are completely portable assuming you can split them.

If the OP was using a Digital Cable Tuner (DCT) that doesn't respect the copy flags (e.g. ATI's DCT) or the content was flagged Copy Once playing it on another PC is not possible.

·
Banned
7,964 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I think it was a glitch...the local news should never be copy protected, after all. And who in their right mind would copy protect The People's Court?

I did have a few NFL games that were Copy Never...but the NFL may have demanded that, that is something they would not hesitate to do.

So no one has any idea on how to recover my shows?

·
Registered
102 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cybrsage /forum/post/20793544

I think it was a glitch...the local news should never be copy protected, after all. And who in their right mind would copy protect The People's Court?

I did have a few NFL games that were Copy Never...but the NFL may have demanded that, that is something they would not hesitate to do.

bitorrent?

·
Registered
523 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cybrsage /forum/post/0

Welcome to the corner big media has put us all in.

http://screenrant.com/wil-wheaton-pi...ry-aco-125670/

1 - 20 of 46 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.