AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I can't believe this! Just dropped by Walmart to pick up Mockingjay pt 1 on Blu-ray, pop it in the player and to my horror the audio is DD 5.1 only, even the vudu streaming version has better audio than this garbage $19.99 blu-ray. If you pay $24.95 for the version that comes with the DVD then it looks like you get DTS-HD-MA like you are supposed to. I'm extremely disappointed that blu-rays are being released for purchase with watered down audio. We've been slowing buying fewer and fewer disks due to the convienience of itunes/vudu even though we have a 11ft screen where the differences are apparent. This latest swindling is not helping physical media's position.

Buyer Beware! Looks like I have to start checking the back of blu-ray's from now on, they'll probably start releasing 480p versions here pretty soon. :mad::mad::mad:

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Update: Walmart will take an opened copy of their blu-ray exclusive version in exchange for the real version. I would suggest any others who bought their version on mistake to exchange it. Maybe if they have a large pile of these laying around in a months time they'll look deeper into it.

·
Registered
361 Posts
I have never gotten why Lionsgate thinks anyone but the few of us even care about stuff like HD Audio. It seems like the added cost of producing 2 different versions of a disk plus different packaging in an attempt to sway buyers would be a losing proposition. Seriously, I want HD Audio, but there is not a single person I know outside of these boards that would even know what it is. It sucks for us to have to rent (or buy it in the case of the Walmart exclusive) a lossy version, but I have news for Lionsgate; "the other 99.9999% of the people don't care!! You are wasting your time and $$$" that is all...lol

·
Registered
3,225 Posts
I have never gotten why Lionsgate thinks anyone but the few of us even care about stuff like HD Audio. It seems like the added cost of producing 2 different versions of a disk plus different packaging in an attempt to sway buyers would be a losing proposition. Seriously, I want HD Audio, but there is not a single person I know outside of these boards that would even know what it is. It sucks for us to have to rent (or buy it in the case of the Walmart exclusive) a lossy version, but I have news for Lionsgate; "the other 99.9999% of the people don't care!! You are wasting your time and $$$" that is all...lol
Is there any licensing fee difference from Dolby? Wal-Mart is notorious for asking vendors to find ways to get them a cheaper product.

·
Registered
28,694 Posts
Is there any licensing fee difference from Dolby? Wal-Mart is notorious for asking vendors to find ways to get them a cheaper product.
Neither Dolby nor DTS charge licensing fees for their codecs.

·
Registered
5,196 Posts
Basically you're getting a Lionsgate rental version in a Walmart package. I wonder what genius at Wally World thought this was a good idea. :rolleyes:
"Exclusive Walmart deal", yeah you bet!
Walmart is just about the only retailer the studios will create specific BDs intended solely for them with different specs from normal retail. Both Warner and Lionsgate have tried various stripped-down BDs solely intended for Walmart at times.
So, it is an "exclusive Walmart" deal ;) no one else does this. :D

·
Registered
865 Posts
Walmart is just about the only retailer the studios will create specific BDs intended solely for them with different specs from normal retail. Both Warner and Lionsgate have tried various stripped-down BDs solely intended for Walmart at times.
Studios will do this for Target as well. I worked for Sony up until April of last year performing copy-control. The Hunger Games titles were always a very big deal. We replicated several formats depending on the audience. There were rental versions with less bonus features. DVD/BD versions.

Also different versions with different levels of copy-control to keep the rippers guessing. But I've never seen BDs with different audio formats. This must be something new since they have to make Atmos and non-Atmos versions. We also had different versions released for Canada.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Studios will do this for Target as well. I worked for Sony up until April of last year performing copy-control. The Hunger Games titles were always a very big deal. We replicated several formats depending on the audience. There were rental versions with less bonus features. DVD/BD versions.

Also different versions with different levels of copy-control to keep the rippers guessing. But I've never seen BDs with different audio formats. This must be something new since they have to make Atmos and non-Atmos versions. We also had different versions released for Canada.
The Netflix BR is 5.1. :mad:

We pay extra to Netflix for best-quality disks and get a watered-down version. Not happy....

·
Registered
3,440 Posts
Well, if you look closely, the Walmart exclusives are almost always for just the Blu-Ray without a DVD or digital copy. If you go with the regular edition you can get everywhere else, well, you get those. Which is why Walmart sells them for $5 less usually - trying to angle in on the cheap at any price crowd. Or those who think they're saving a bundle without a digital copy or DVD.

You have to remember everything at Walmart is practically made for Walmart - even things that look identical, unless the prices are within a dollar of what every other retailer has them for. That case means it's the same product, which is why video games and consoles aren't much cheaper. Rare, though as Walmart will squeeze to save money.

But stuff that is cheaper usually means made for Walmart special edition. Even stuff like tools and appliances - they look he same, but Walmart encourages manufacturers to cut corners - use cheaper materials, ship less accessories etc, to get a product on the shelf at a lower price. This isn't just a trivial reconfiguration to get a best buy or costco exclusive - Walmart models will cut corners on purpose to achieve a lower cost.

Yes, I was bit by this when I saw something I wanted cheap. Didn't look close enough to find out why.

·
Registered
60 Posts
A 6 month (and possibly pointless) bump to this thread. Just recently upped to a 7.1 receiver and have been turned on to lossless audio (as my previous receiver couldn't use it, I hadn't cared). I now realize, though, that I must have got this disc for this movie. It is the blu-ray only version. This thread seems to be the only existing mention of this issue. Did anyone have luck returning it? I would love to return it for the proper version. I just wonder if it is too late....

·
Registered
6,752 Posts
A 6 month (and possibly pointless) bump to this thread. Just recently upped to a 7.1 receiver and have been turned on to lossless audio (as my previous receiver couldn't use it, I hadn't cared). I now realize, though, that I must have got this disc for this movie. It is the blu-ray only version. This thread seems to be the only existing mention of this issue. Did anyone have luck returning it? I would love to return it for the proper version. I just wonder if it is too late....
Looks like "yes".
Update: Walmart will take an opened copy of their blu-ray exclusive version in exchange for the real version.

·
Registered
744 Posts
One thing I've learned after getting into this hobby: Always check the back of the packaging for the audio codec details. Although... the Interstellar blu on Amazon reads that it has an Atmos soundtrack 😮!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts