1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry if this is stupid...

Modding a LCD screen

Is this possible?

Say if you have access to OEM software, etc.

:rolleyes:

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
modding as:

boosting it...

eg brightness, contrast ratios, refresh rate, tuning it to increase image fidelity.:p

like how a projector can be moded to increase its image fidelity.

·
Registered
168 Posts
I have kind of modified my Sharp 30" LCD. I wanted to see if I could improve the black levels/contrast ratio because I use it mainly in a darkened room (it's in the bedroom ). My "solution" was to install a thin sheet (1/16") of glass between the LCD and the bezel.

This is purely subjective of course, but I think the results are excellent. I have what appears to be better contrast and nice glossy blacks. The downside is that the screen is now highly reflective. It's not an issue for me currently, but it could be if use it in a different room during the day.

The next step is to experiment with tinted glass. I am hoping that by installing glass with a *slight* green tint, I can correct for the blue/red tint that seems to seep through the LCD (When no signal is present, it is fairly easy to detect)

·
Premium Member
8,097 Posts
AAVI,

contrast ratio is a function of your screen, nothing you can *boost*. I'm not sure what technical meaning the words "image fidelity" mean...

Brightness can be adjusted on the unit based on the brightness parameter.

Refresh rate is a function of the source.

This all sounds to me like you're trying to increase the RPM on a car, not an LCD...

Do a search on "Screen Calibration", I'm sure you'll figure it out.

·
Registered
71 Posts
If we can learn anything from our friends at the print shop (I know it's a HUGE "if"), dynamic range increases dramatically on glossy media. It's a big part of why magazines look so much better than newspaper images.

I would think a glossy imaging surface really could increase the contrast ratio at the expense of seeing yourself in the monitor. I'd think it would only work well in a very dark room, which is where a lot of us spend a lot of time.

I'd be very wary of SWAPPING glass on an LCD though. If you can get the glass out without damaging the thing, any dust would be apparent and very delicate things would be exposed. Maybe if someone had access to a slightly broken LCD, a person could polish the glass. Sounds pretty risky though.

I'm sure we all want to hear about any LCD mods that are attempted though!

Chris

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanks for the input guys!... :p

i'm familiar to LCD projectors but new to LCD screens/monitors....

is there a website where i can find more specific information on the workings of an LCD screen/monitor? i know how LCD panels etcc work... just how is it applied to a monitor? What type of backlight does it use? scalling etc.

i have the contact of a person that manufactures LCD monitors for DELL, Compaq etc. He owns the factory. :D

Basically im interested in learning the inner workings of a LCD screen. I dunno if anyone could help me with that? Bit of an odd question.

:confused:

Anyways, thanks again for all the input!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.