AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all. I've tried browsing old posts for an answer to this question but couldn't find one.

TV: Samsung 52a750

GPU: nVidia 8800 GTS

The problem:

For some reason, when using a straight VGA connection the PC wants to boot into 640x480 and the TV rejects it with "mode not supported" error message. (Max resolution for the GPU is 2560 x 1600.)

I'm able to get a picture using a component connection, and it looks ok, but it doesn't quite fill the screen.

Can anyone tell me what I'm doing wrong? Should I try a DVI-to-HDMI cable or will it give me the same bad news?

·
Registered
4,996 Posts
What operating system on the PC?

What version nVidia drivers on the PC?

Can you hook up an old vga monitor and get higher resolutions to work? If so just move the vga cable over to the Tv (without rebooting). EDID does not apply to vga so there is no reason the display should prevent (or force) the video card from using any given resolution. According to the user manual, the Tv will sync to quite a few standard resolutions (even 1080p/60).

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammerdwn /forum/post/16962858

What operating system on the PC?

What version nVidia drivers on the PC?

Can you hook up an old vga monitor and get higher resolutions to work? If so just move the vga cable over to the Tv (without rebooting). EDID does not apply to vga so there is no reason the display should prevent (or force) the video card from using any given resolution. According to the user manual, the Tv will sync to quite a few standard resolutions (even 1080p/60).

OS is XP Pro SP3. Drivers are the very latest from nvidia and BFG (downloaded today).

Unfortunately, the only other monitor I have is a 19" Samsung SyncMaster with a native resolution of 1440x900.

What is EDID?

Thanks, hammerdwn.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.