AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's not a great shot but I'm to busy enjoying the movies to care.

Pany 300

Chief mount

Blue Jean component cables

120" Model C Dalite screen

Pany CP 72 DVD player

6.1 sound system.

·
Registered
458 Posts
Any chance you can post a picture of where the mount attaches to the ceiling?

Where is you plug in relation to the projector? I will be getting the 300U and was considering this mount. I have a outlet in the ceiling, but wasn't sure where/how my Video cables and power cord would be run with this mount.

Thanks,

Jeff

·
Registered
68 Posts
Hey John,

Can you give us a list of materials and instructions on how you made that center channel speaker stand? :)

Seriously, nice mount. I like that the extension pole is white. It goes quite well with the room.

Joe

·
Registered
76 Posts
Is there an optimal height at which the projector should be? I suppose it may depend on the screen size and location. If the projector is placed on a table, is it adjustable so the the picture would fit on the screen in front of it regardless of where the screen is postioned on the wall? Thanks.

·
Registered
21 Posts
There is a formula in the manual that guides you as to the best placement of the pj lens relative to the screen. It varies slightly as the screen siz e changes but for a typical 90"-120" screen the lens should sit around 3" from the top (ceiling) or bottom (table) in order to not use keystone correction. I have the exact same mounting setup as the picture above, but since my ceiling is only 9' I have a much smaller pole :D The mount to the ceiling on mine is simple a $3 flange from Home Depot painted white. It looks just fine and is a lot cheaper than the $18 for the "official" flange from chief.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
"Joe" (ouch) yes that is the box the PJ came in for the center, it has since been replaced!! You know these things are always a work in progress...

The pole and ceiling flange came from the plumbing dept. at Home Depot

(maybe 20.00) and attach to a ceiling fan box, and all painted white.

·
Registered
103 Posts
John,

You had no problem getting the correct pole and thread to mount to the ceiling? I have a threaded (or should I say "Dreaded") bolt mount of my Chief mount and you can't touch the projector without it moving and then you have to re-point it. And it's impossible to get the pointing done correctly.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I'm sort of in a situation where I need the flexibility at the same time. I have a drop ceiling and since I only have 4" of clearance between the ceiling tile and the mounting position above, I sort of need them loose to get the ceiling tile in position.

I really need to re-mount completely with a threaded pole for stability. That way, I could put the ceiling tile in, stick the pole through the hole and thread it into the boot, then mount the Projector.

Thanks for the advice though, I would have never thought of using the plumbers tape.

·
Registered
654 Posts
What I just used for the mounting of my HS10 and using the Chief Mount was black PVC 1 1/2" tubing and fittings. I got the same 1 1/2" metal floor flange from the Hardware store as others. The PVC piping is very strong and was black which is the color I wanted - I got this at Lowes Home Improvement. The advantage here is that you buy the pipe in 10' length - and that gives you many "opportunities" to get the exact drop correctly. What I found is that the threading into the floor flange didn't go completely all the way in thus making the dimentions a bit off. Calculating the exact distance from the fittings to the mount to the center of the lens is not exact - again leading to having to make a 3/8" different pipe than my paper calculations. Not a problem - just cut a new piece on my mitre box - glue 2 new fittings - paint - and done. It's also alot lighter than steel tubing and I'm now ready to create an exact fitting drop for my next projector!

What was nice is that the 1 1/2" PVC fitting was a very tight fit (appears someone was tapered) and so after I cranked on that into the flange, it doesn't budge at all. Very nice tight fit into the Chief mount which also has a set screw and I get no changes/movement.

I recommend this approach as a good option.

dagger

·
Registered
315 Posts
Are the flanges you guys are using really that strong? I haven't looked at one in a while, but it seems like they are made of a very thin metal if memory serves. I'm just curious, as the this may be viable option for me as well. But if it iwll easily hold and HS10, it would surely hold my 300u, eh?

Thanks,

Tim

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Mine is the metal 1" plumbing pipe, at first I thought it might be to heavy.

But it threads right into the chief and I had a ceiling fan box screwed into a joist for the flange.

It is rock solid.

I just got Comcast HDTV installed today and WOW!

I've been watching DVD's for a month but this is awesome, CBS, ABC, HBO.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Okay, I just came back from the Depot

(I should learn to print the whole thread)

daggerNC,

You used standard 1 1/2" Black PVC Plumbing pipe. How did you get it into the threaded hole on the Cheif mount?

Also, where did you find a Metal 1 1/2" Flange? I found Toliet Flanges but they are way too big (4"). Was yours in the Plumbing dept.? I couldn't find anything that would work.

John Devine,

You said your Pipe was 1" plumbing pipe, how did you mate it to the 1 1/2" Thread on the Cheif mount?

·
Registered
315 Posts
No they are not in plumbing ... although not too far away from it. They were towards the front of the store in front of plumbing (at least in our store). I believe it was near or in the building materials section.

HD will also thread pipes for you.

·
Registered
31 Posts
How well does the PVC glue hold? I thought of going that route but was afraid of trusting some plastic and glue to hold my $2,000 toy. I am going to have to take everything down and remount the projector because after painstakingly measuring everything. I mounted the top mounting plate dead center with the screen. I never looked to notice that the lens on the 300 was not in the center of the projector!! DOOH!! I would like to change to PVC if the glue holds.

·
Registered
315 Posts
I would go with a metal pipe and have it threaded. That's just me of course. I know PVC is very strong, but your mount is only as strong as the threads, and I just wouldn't be comfortable hanging my PJ on plastic threads.

On the other hand, the 300u only weighs about 6lbs, so it's probably fine. :)

·
Registered
103 Posts
timoteo,

The metal pipe you are talking about, I think it's the outdoor electrical Metal Conduit right? I think I may try that one, the only problem I have is trying to find a Flange for it. I will try the Depot again to see if I can figure it out.

I will also inquire about HD threading the pipe.

·
Registered
315 Posts
I could never find it on their web site, and when I asked someone they didn't understand what I was talking about. But I kept explaining it to him and he finally got it. He had a little difficulty locating it, but they definitely have. It's in between the tool coral and lumber here, and I think most HD's have the same setup.

GOOD LUCK!

-Tim

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.