AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm having problems getting my new RTV5508 to dial out to the remote server to download my program guide. When I power it on it launches into the Quick setup screen. I enter all of the information it requests and step through the various menu's, when it gets to the point of dialing out to download the program guide it can't connect. I spent a couple of hours last night trying to troubleshoot different possibilities so I'll try to detail them here.

On the initial hook-up and phone line connection I forgot to put a DSL filter in the phone socket. This appears to have done two things.

1. Mess up my DSL modem settings

2. Cause the modem in the Replay TV player to hang.

I came to this conclusion after several successive attempts at dialing out failed with n error that said "no dial tone." I then unplugged the Player from the wall and let it sit for a couple of minutes while I tracked down a phone to test that phone socket was functioning. I hooked up the phone and got a dial tone, so the phone socket was live.

I then plugged the Replay playr back in and attemted to go through quick set up once more. This time I got the screen where it dials out only to have it say dialing with a 1 minute 30 second countdown. It counted down to 25 seconds and then said "no answer." It then dialed again, counted down and at some point said "no answer." I tought mayber the prefix I was inputting to disable call waiting was causing problems so I removed the *70 and tried again. Same failure.

I then tested the supplied phone cord with my telephone to verify that it wasn't defective. Got a dial tone no problem. It doesn't appear to be the cord.

I then decided to log on to replaytv.com to see if there were any hints there. This is when I discovered my DSL was screwed up, so I had to reconfigure it. Unfortunately there was little to no help on replaytv.com.

I returned to the replay tv player, powered it off and on again and started over. Same result, dialing, counting down, "no answer."

I managed to get a list of phone numbers from the website and wanted to see if I could exit out of quick setup and manually enter the numbers. No joy. I couldn't figure out how to exit out of quick setup. However, I was able to call a couple of the numbers from my phone to verify that a modem on the other end did indeed pick up.

I tried a few more times throughout the evening thinking that maybe the server was offline or busy, but didn't have any success.

Logged into website again and searched their (lack of)knowledge base to no avail. Mostly just fluff, or I don't know how to search their knowledge base.

That brings me to today. I called Customer support and got the following recommendations:

Remove DSL filter. This I'm hesitant to do because I think it wil cause the same problem I had the first time i hooked the Replay Tv player up. Also, the modem should work with the filter in place, because it uses standard phone lines not the DSL lines.

When I get to the screen where it asks for my Zip Code press the zone button to get to the modem setup screen and lower the modem speed. This seems to make a little more sense, but I'm still somewhat skeptical because I don't think a modem is even answering on the other end.

Does anybody have any other ideas? Suggestions on how to skip quick setup and enter known phone numbers for the purpose of downloading the channel guide? Am I missing something obvious?

Help!!

Eric

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
Well, first off, when you say you powered down the unit did you just press the power button or actually pull the power cord? Pressing the power button does very little, not even the equivalent of a warm boot on a computer (holding down the power button for about 10 seconds does a warm boot). Pulling the power cord for a few minutes is the best way to do a reboot.

Anyhow, are you sure you are using the phone line and not the ethernet connection? A phone line will easily be able to go into a RJ-45 connector.

Also, try picking up the phone shortly after the Replay tries to connect to the server, see if you hear anything going on.

Finally, since you have DSL, I would recommend connecting to the Replay server via a network rather than dialing in. Get yourself a router/switch and connect it up that way, it's much quicker, more stable and you'll get additional benifits from a network Replay (even if you have only one).

Also, check out the FAQ here, it's has a lot more knowledge in it than the one on the Replay website.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
First,

Thanks for reading through that novel and replying.

Quote:
Originally posted by Ace987
Well, first off, when you say you powered down the unit did you just press the power button or actually pull the power cord? Pressing the power button does very little, not even the equivalent of a warm boot on a computer (holding down the power button for about 10 seconds does a warm boot). Pulling the power cord for a few minutes is the best way to do a reboot.
Yes, I unlugged the unit several times. I realize it goes into "sleep" type mode when you power it off.

Quote:
Anyhow, are you sure you are using the phone line and not the ethernet connection? A phone line will easily be able to go into a RJ-45 connector.
Yes, I'm using the correct input. I work with computers(tech support) for a living, so I understand the difference between RJ-11 and RJ-45. :D On the other hand, because I work with computers I understand the question too.

Quote:
Also, try picking up the phone shortly after the Replay tries to connect to the server, see if you hear anything going on.
Sorry I forgot to mention, I did do this once and I heard the modem briefly then got a tone along with a message saying please hang up and dial again. I figured I had caused the signal to be interrupted by picking up the handset. I will test this again tonight to see if I can at least here the modenm atempting to dial out.

Quote:
Finally, since you have DSL, I would recommend connecting to the Replay server via a network rather than dialing in. Get yourself a router/switch and connect it up that way, it's much quicker, more stable and you'll get additional benifits from a network Replay (even if you have only one).
I plan on doing this soon, but it requires purchasing and setting up a wireles router. I wanted to get this thing up and running last night so I could record a show for my girlfriend. It didn't happen and I got to sleep on the couch last night. :( I'm kidding.

Quote:
Also, check out the FAQ here, it's has a lot more knowledge in it than the one on the Replay website.

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
The phone line is a flacky thing. Last week or so, before I got my DSL hooked up, I had a hard time connecting to the Replay server via the initial connection to the 800 number. I finally gave up and tried again another day, surprise of all surprises, I was doing everything correctly since it worked without me changing a thing. I assume their 800 number server was down.

However, at least I was connecting, I just got an error while trying to contact the server. You seem to have a different problem.

Not sure how far way your Replay is from your DSL modem, but if you can just run a long ethernet cable to the Replay just to get the thing setup, you're in for less of a headache. Using the phone line with a Replay is a pain in the butt (I speak from first hand experience). However, once it is setup and working, the phone line really isn't that much of a problem.

One other thing you might try. Not sure if you even have this, but if you have an answering service from the phone company, you might wanna clear out any messages. That might be screwing up the dial out. You'll know you have one if you pick up the phone and hear several beeps before you hear a dial-tone. The Replay might be trying to dial too early.

·
Registered
513 Posts
I spent a whole wekend trying to do the initial setup (5040) via modem. it would download 95% & fail. Over & over. Then it took 2 minutes via ethernet cable. Later, somebody told me that the DSL filter on the modem phone line would screw it up.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the replies.

As is usual for me one new purchase begets another. After having all of the trouble connecting using the 5508 modem, I decided it was time to set up a wireless network in my house. Last night I broke down and bought a wireless router, wireless PC Card, and Wirelss bridge. I was long overdue to get the laptop running wirelessly and with the bridge I can connect the RTV 5508 wirelessly as well. I spent a good portion of lat night getting the network up and running an spent half of today getting the bridge working. I'm happy to report that I was able to connect successfully and download the channel guide for my area. Now I just need to figure out how to maximize the usage of my wireless network.

:cool: :cool:

Eric

·
Registered
12 Posts
Alas, ejobe, I feel your pain. Perhaps even more so, since I recently moved my 5080 from hardwired bachelor pad into my fiance's barebones apartments.

This, of course, meant having to switch from ethernet to modem. To my chagrine, it did not work.

The replies to your post are beginning to show me the light. The apartment complex in which we live sold its soul to SBC Entertainment. SBC is the exclusive provider for phone, DSL, and DirectTV. It's a fairly new complex, so I am beginning to suspect that the DSL line conditioners are built into the phone network. In other words, I just got f'd in the a.

No real worries, though. In three short weeks, I'll be hitched, and, most importantly, in a new apartment in the complex with a DSL modem. Problem solved.

If not, its a new post.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.