Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all.

OK, it took me a little while, but I finally did it. Bought a second UTV and then bought me a new HD. So as not to mess with my family's UTV, I have this one in my bedroom.

Anyways, I have read all around the forum and haven't seen this issue, so here goes:

I installed the new HD and plugged in the power, 1 sat connecter and the phone line. Immediately at power on it tries to dial out to WebTV to get the latest updates. i figure this is normal since it's a brand new drive.

Anyway, I hear the dial tone and I hear the tones it uses to dial. But unfortunately, the unit doesn't connect...in other words, I hear the dial tone the whole time I hear the dialing tones. Know what I mean? It's almost like the phone line is off hook, but the dialer doesn't work.

Strangely enough, the line goes off hook the moment it's plugged into the UTV....whether the power is on or off!!!

Any ideas or do I have a bad unit here?

Thanks for taking the time to read, and also thanks for us diehard UTVers to get answers. :D

·
Registered
106 Posts
Exact same problem I have with mine. I think your modem is fried. My UTV has been like that for almost a year now. No ability to dial out (can't order PPV via remote), but otherwise the unit works fine. Unless you can obtain a copy of the OS somewhere and place correctly on drive, you might have to put the old drive back in....

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
Hi,

I'd not be so fast to assume the UTV modem is dead.

It would seem to be functional since it can dial out. I would suggest connecting your UTV to a different jack. Try to pull off any other phone extensions on your line. (Your UTV may have an issue with other phones)

Just for kicks... Try setting your UTV to Pulse dialing... See if it responds the same way (as tone dialing)...

If you aren't able to leave the UTV plugged into the phone line because it is ALWAYs on the phone your modem may have issues. :)

Try a UTV reset code like 12357 to see if your UTV just needs a reboot.

Later,

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replies, gents.

I just tried a new jack today and also tried new phone chords just to be sure. Same dealio.

LOL, I thought of the pulse dialing too. But unfortunately, no dice. Same result.

Just tried the reboot code, 12357. Nothing.

So, I decided to call the place I bought it from...and they went out of business. My luck just isn't here!

Oh well, thanks for trying to help folks, I appreciate it.

·
Registered
592 Posts
dtkbigdawg ... you've probably read other posts and already know this, but in case others are new to the forum and reading this I want to mention that there is still a way to get your UTV operational. With a dead modem you can't take advantage of the simple "drop in a new disk and dial out to get the software" method. But if you are computer-savy and want to invest some time, you can use the "transfer the software after unlocking the drive" method. Since you have another operational UTV you won't even have to search for the image files, you should be able to get the software from that UTV, copy it to a PC, then copy to the disk of your new UTV. I haven't done it myself, but the steps appear to be spelled out pretty well on the Ultimate TV hard drive upgrade thread (and the other threads it references. Good luck! -TJ

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.