AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The modem downloads correctly but will not hang up after. Unplugging the phone line frees up the phone line. I've tried resetting with the power button and removing the power cord for 15 sec, without success. Anything else I can try? Is it possible to replace the modem? Thanks - mike

·
Registered
4,612 Posts
I saw your other stutter post. There isn't much you can do that you haven't already done to correct the modem.

777 zones "restore factory default" is worth a shot. You will lose all recordings and have to run setup again but it's worth a shot.

Since you have a potential bad drive and a modem problem. Sending the unit to Panasonic may be the best bet. $149 plus shipping last I heard.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by MikeClark
The modem downloads correctly but will not hang up after. Unplugging the phone line frees up the phone line.
Just out of curiosity, after you unplug the phone line, if you plug it back in to the Showstopper, does the Showstopper tie up the line again or does the phone line stay freed up?

More importantly, when you unplug the phone line, does the Showstopper resume normal operation, or must it be reset to work again?

If it does resume normal operation, one option, if your Showstopper tends to dial at about the same time every night, would be to buy a night-time ringer supressor ( about $5 , at least in Canada, where I picked one up) and plug it between the Showstopper and the phone jack. These are normally used to disconnect a telephone from the line during night. Since these normally are controlled by a photocell, which senses darkness or light, you would additionally buy a small AC timer (such as that turns a lamp on and off on a fixed schedule) along with a small night-light. You quite possibly already own both of those. You would enclose the night-light and the ring supressor in a light-tight box, and set the timer to turn the light on at (for example) 3:00 AM and off at 3:30 AM. During that window, your Showstopper would be able to dial up, but it would be automatically disconnected at 3:30 AM. So your phone would never be tied up for more than 30 minutes.

If you happen to be handy with electronics, you could modify the ring supressor with a timer itself (or build one entirely from spare parts, since it's a simple circuit) to avoid the night-light and external timer. Or, if you are particularly lucky, you could find a logic line on the Showstopper circuit board that is high only during a modem connection, and that goes low when the phone is supposed to be hung up, and use that to control the phone circuit.

Jim

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The Showstopper operates normally regardless of whether or not the phone line is tied up or not. Unplugging the line to release the connection has no effect on the Showstopper.

It's not worth while to spend money on this old unit now that 5040s are so cheap. (disregarding the enabling cost of the 5040)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.