AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thanks to the help of @LTD02 - I've begun a build of two Cyclops subwoofers. Since I already have two Stonehenges behind my AT screen, I've decided to set these two on top of my existing two subs. As a result, I am using the same depth and width of the Stonehenges. In order to assist with integration, I'm using a tuning point just under 19hz, which is similar to my existing subs.

The specs are:
  • Dimensions - 49" H x 30" W x 16" D
  • Volume - ~8 cubic feet
  • Tuning - ~18hz
  • Driver - SI DS4 (likely later to be swapped for UM18-22)
Mockup (not to scale):

As the internal volume on these subs is a little on the small side for the SI DS4 18, I plan to either move the DS4s to a sealed nearfield setup at a later date or to use them to flank my L/R speakers in larger ported boxes.

My current, temporary setup:

Proposed post-Cyclops build setup (not to scale):

Proposed final setup if I move DS4s to larger cabs and replace in the Cyclops with UM18s (probably unnecessary overkill in my 1800 ft^3 space):

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
So I started cutting the MDF yesterday. Thanks to @eng-399 for the recommendation of the Emerson - Straight-Edge Saw Clamp Tool. It's worked great so far. I added some additional support with a clamp and 2x4 for the middle portion of the track, but as I realized later, that was unnecessary.

I also bought Kreg's Rip-Cut Tool, but I didn't end up using it. Not sure if I'll keep it for smaller cuts or just return it.

Some uninteresting pics of cut MDF below:

·
Premium Member
5,644 Posts

·
Registered
4,400 Posts
thats going to be a sick set up!!

Reactions: VicTorious1

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
So I started cutting the MDF yesterday. Thanks to @eng-399 for the recommendation of the Emerson - Straight-Edge Saw Clamp Tool. It's worked great so far. I added some additional support with a clamp and 2x4 for the middle portion of the track, but as I realized later, that was unnecessary.

I also bought Kreg's Rip-Cut Tool, but I didn't end up using it. Not sure if I'll keep it for smaller cuts or just return it.
I use the Bora edge clamps that are very similar to the Emerson. I get great cuts and it didn't cost me a mortgage like a track saw. I do use my tablesaw whenever possible.

·
Registered
667 Posts
Looks good so far, and sound like it will be a killer set up!

I have to also back the Emerson clamps. I bough the 99" and the 50" after @eng-399 helped me with my boxes, and they are the greatest things ever! I can rip down sheets so fast, and accurate now. I used to dread circular saw cuts, now I almost look forward to them.

Sean

·
Premium Member
5,644 Posts
Looks good so far, and sound like it will be a killer set up!

I have to also back the Emerson clamps. I bough the 99" and the 50" after @eng-399 helped me with my boxes, and they are the greatest things ever! I can rip down sheets so fast, and accurate now. I used to dread circular saw cuts, now I almost look forward to them.

Sean

I hear ya Sean I use to dread using my table saw because at the end of the cut it use to be off by 1/8 because my fence isn't the strongest on my table saw. Now after buying the Emerson clamp cutting wood is no big deal. If you have a nice table saw with a real strong fence you should be good to.

·
Registered
667 Posts
I hear ya Sean I use to dread using my table saw because at the end of the cut it use to be off by 1/8 because my fence isn't the strongest on my table saw. Now after buying the Emerson clamp cutting wood is no big deal. If you have a nice table saw with a real strong fence you should be good to.
It would be awesome to have a real nice cabinet table saw, and the space to have a real nice cabinet table saw. Until that day comes, this is the next best thing! I bought a table saw specifically to rip sheets and I don't think I have ever done it (EXTREMELY DANGEROUS). Luckily I didn't break the bank on it, and I have used it for other (smaller) projects, but I wish I would have gotten the clamps earlier.

Sean

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
So, I was able to do some cutting over the weekend. I also picked up the Stereo Integrity DS4 18s that I'll be using. Finally, I was able to begin assembly of the first Cyclops. I've been assembling these at night when the kids and wife go to bed, @1st Cav. So no need to take a day off of work (yet). I've been using clamps even though I used my brad nailer to connect the MDF bracing where I needed to double up.

Despite having a soundproofed room where I'm building these boxes, the air compressor is so loud that I feel like it will wake the kids up. I've used my trusty sound meter to check and they can't hear it in their rooms, but my brain is having a hard time accepting that. I think I would've already completed at least one box had I been using the brad nailer. My SVS PB12-NSD's weight has been handy for clamping the double front baffle. Less than interesting status update pics below.

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
When I clicked on this link, I was hoping to see a HT version of this Cyclops.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
Kicker 08S15L74 in a T-TQWT (tapered tapped quarter wave tube or negative flare tapped horn).

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Added vinyl spackling to the outside of the cabs. I used this instead of bondo because I don't have enough ventilation in my HT for using something with noxious fumes. Next, I'll sand down the boxes and add duratex. I'm thinking of either using spray paint (I know, noxious fumes and all) or just black paint for a first coat before adding the duratex. I noticed that I needed multiple coats of duratex when I painted my speakers because I added water to thin it out for a smoother finish.

1 - 20 of 79 Posts