AVS Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This will be my first post to this forum. I'm here in the Dallas Tx. area. I wanted to get a few recomendations.

Of course I'm a big fan of getting the best sound I can at the best price I can, which I how I found out you can upgrade/modify older epuipment with high end parts, and get better sound for less cost. (For now, this is all guessing until some of this gets in my home and I can listen to it.)

Here is what I have already decided to buy (currently being worked on):

1. Parasound 2205A (upgraded all high end parts). I have to say, the regular 2205a sounded great to me, so I can't wait to get the modifed version back. Anyone have any experience with something like this?

2. I'm looking at a Full Range Driver for my speakers to be used in Home Theater/Music Application.

Here is what I am considering and wanting a little advice on which route to go.

I'm going to be upgrading my Pre Amp from the Outlaw 1050 AV Reciever that I am using as a pre amp, to a true Pre Amp. I am not watching 3d yet, but could possibly be in the near future, so I wanted to make sure I had 3d capability so I don't have to buy something else soon down the road.

Here are my choices:

1. Onkyo 5508 MODIFIED by The Upgrade Company (this may be a little out of my price range).

2. Onkyo 886 MODIFIED by The Upgrade Company (I realize that this does not have 3D)

3. Marantz 8003 modified

4. Marantz 7005 modified

Since I will also be replacing my PS3 with an TUC modified OPPO 93 or 95 (still debating on this as well) would I really need a receiver with 3D capability since these players have 2 HDMI outs and I can run one of them direct to my TV, or is there an HDMI equipped NON 3d pre amp that I can get upgraded by anyone (does not have to be TUC, open to suggestions) that will give me the very BEST audio performance (hdmi and 5.1 analog)? One in my list above, or any other suggestions?

I read a review of the Onkyo modified 886 which sounded awesome, but wont do 3D, but since the new OPPO's go straight to the TV, I was thinking getting the Onkyo 886 Modified plus the OPPO modified?

Also, with a setup similar to mine, would there be a substantial difference in sound if I bought the OPPO 93, vs. the OPPO 95, both modified?

Any help would be appreicated..

·
Registered
3,821 Posts
There was A very large thread here in AVS about

"The Upgrade Company", it got pretty heated.

I was not at all impressed by the 'quality' of work

done by TUC from the pictures posted.

Seemed to me a 'shady' operation to say the least.

Personally I wouldn't spend a dime with them.

But its YOUR money (and it won't be inexpensive)

The thread was in the "2 channel Forum" http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...&highlight=tuc

·
Registered
3,444 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by grasshoppers /forum/post/20872487

There was A very large thread here in AVS about

"The Upgrade Company", it got pretty heated.

I was not at all impressed by the 'quality' of work

done by TUC from the pictures posted.

Seemed to me a 'shady' operation to say the least.

Personally I wouldn't spend a dime with them.

But its YOUR money (and it won't be inexpensive)

The thread was in the "2 channel Forum" http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...&highlight=tuc

+1.

Since you're the paying customer, ask the modders for a detailed list of their mods, pricing, etc. and post back. I'm willing to bet you'll be shocked at what you'll find (or don't find) and realize your money will be better spent elsewhere.

·
Registered
11,586 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwilkinson7777 /forum/post/20872286

Here are my choices:

1. Onkyo 5508 MODIFIED by The Upgrade Company (this may be a little out of my price range).

2. Onkyo 886 MODIFIED by The Upgrade Company (I realize that this does not have 3D)

3. Marantz 8003 modified

4. Marantz 7005 modified

Since I will also be replacing my PS3 with an TUC modified OPPO 93 or 95 (still debating on this as well) would I really need a receiver with 3D capability since these players have 2 HDMI outs and I can run one of them direct to my TV, or is there an HDMI equipped NON 3d pre amp that I can get upgraded by anyone (does not have to be TUC, open to suggestions) that will give me the very BEST audio performance (hdmi and 5.1 analog)? One in my list above, or any other suggestions?

Why before you even spend any time listening to any of those products in your own home unmodified, does everything you want own, first have to be modified by TUC, or anyone else for that matter? Buy what you want and fits your needs and leave it stock for awhile, get used to how they sound and operate that way, you can always have it modded at a later date.

Quote:

I read a review of the Onkyo modified 886 which sounded awesome,

Every so called "review" that I have read for a TUC modded item, as gushing as it may be, has never been backed up with any real facts to support their claims of improvements!

Quote:

Also, with a setup similar to mine, would there be a substantial difference in sound if I bought the OPPO 93, vs. the OPPO 95, both modified?

Again, if you don't know how they sound stock, how do you even know that modifying them will make them sound any better?

Why are you so willing to drop so much money with a really questionable place like TUC, without even trying any of the products and getting used to them in their stock form first?

·
Registered
18,923 Posts
Heh...another upgrade company thread. Get out the weenies and marshmellows...

·
Registered
3,821 Posts
"2. I'm looking at a Full Range Driver for my speakers to be used in Home Theater/Music Application."

I am curious about the above statement from the OP.

Do I understand that he does not have speakers at this time??

Or, is he intending to build or modify current speakers?

Just wondering if the OP has speakers at this time?

It would seem to be a very "different" approach to buy

all this 'modded' equipment before you even have a

good set of speakers.

·
Registered
30,815 Posts

Quote:

2. I'm looking at a Full Range Driver for my speakers to be used in Home Theater/Music Application.

Why? Typically, these have limited low frequencies and power handling. I could ask also about your obsession with "modified" devices. Why not just buy decent off-the-shelf components instead of buying a "pig in a poke?"

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well, lets see where to start. Yes, I have a set of Von Schweikert VR3's currently for sale. I'm buying the Pendragons from Tekton
. There are a few reasons I wanted to buy a modified pre amp. To me it's just common sense that if you replace low end parts with high end parts you will get better sound. Maybe I'm naive(9am i'm sure I will hear about it), and they are trying to pull one over on me. It seems like most of the people I have spoken with that used TUC went back for round 2. Why would they do that if they didn't like the end product, I'm just asking?

I figure if I have 3K to spend on blu ray player and pre amp, I want to get the best bang for my buck. I don't want to own something "stock" and then pay to ship it, pay to upgrade it, pay to ship it back etc... It would be less expensive to just buy it from them directly. That being said, Obviously I am interested in hearing good and bad experiences. Granted, I have not actually heard anything from TUC, but I have not read any reviews where someone had an upgrade done and did not like it (but I'm sure someone can show me, so thanks in advance).

To me upgrading audio equipment is like a 1993 Supra Turbo I had. Stock it was pretty damn good, but I took out the "stock" parts, and added in aftermarket better parts, let me tell you MUCH more fun to drive. In my mind, audio fits the same bill. If you take out the cheap parts and put higher quality parts, it should sound better. If I am mistaken, let me know, and if I am, then why does anyone use high end parts in any audio equipment. Of course they have to make a difference.

As soon as I get my Parasond 2205A back, I will post back and give you guys an honest opinion of how it sounds, and if its worth doing business with Big Sky Audio in Montana.

Has anyone had a BAD experience with TUC, or any other mod company?

Oh by the way, I'm having a friend of mine build the Tuba HT sub, so I will have low end covered in Spades. I'll let you guys know how that sound as well.

·
Registered
30,815 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwilkinson7777 /forum/post/20882823

Well, lets see where to start. Yes, I have a set of Von Schweikert VR3's currently for sale. I'm buying the Pendragons from Tekton
. There are a few reasons I wanted to buy a modified pre amp. To me it's just common sense that if you replace low end parts with high end parts you will get better sound. Maybe I'm naive(9am i'm sure I will hear about it), and they are trying to pull one over on me. It seems like most of the people I have spoken with that used TUC went back for round 2. Why would they do that if they didn't like the end product, I'm just asking?

I figure if I have 3K to spend on blu ray player and pre amp, I want to get the best bang for my buck. I don't want to own something "stock" and then pay to ship it, pay to upgrade it, pay to ship it back etc... It would be less expensive to just buy it from them directly. That being said, Obviously I am interested in hearing good and bad experiences. Granted, I have not actually heard anything from TUC, but I have not read any reviews where someone had an upgrade done and did not like it (but I'm sure someone can show me, so thanks in advance).

To me upgrading audio equipment is like a 1993 Supra Turbo I had. Stock it was pretty damn good, but I took out the "stock" parts, and added in aftermarket better parts, let me tell you MUCH more fun to drive. In my mind, audio fits the same bill. If you take out the cheap parts and put higher quality parts, it should sound better. If I am mistaken, let me know, and if I am, then why does anyone use high end parts in any audio equipment. Of course they have to make a difference.

As soon as I get my Parasond 2205A back, I will post back and give you guys an honest opinion of how it sounds, and if its worth doing business with Big Sky Audio in Montana.

Oh by the way, I'm having a friend of mine build the Tuba HT sub, so I will have low end covered in Spades. I'll let you guys know how that sound as well.

Well, if you buy into such stuff, go for it.

·
Registered
11,586 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwilkinson7777 /forum/post/20882823

Obviously you have not looked at any of the others threads here at AVS that contain information about TUC, or at Audioholics either. It is something that I suggest you do!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.