AVS Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone tried to modify a set of stereo speakers to use as home theater use?

I have a set of cerwin vega D6 older but ive recently replaced the drivers so they sound good again. Anyway i tried these at first for home theater use but they wernt that great. They had the highs and mids but not quite enough low end.

What i thought was what if i cut the bottom off and then add say 28" under that lifting the cabnet up to a better seating level and also creating more cubic feet to the cabnet?

THey sell replacement midrange and tweeters on e-bay i could use for a center channel. I could probobly look at the crossover and get the same value caps and then i have a couple extra 5" center channel woofers i could probobly build a fairly well matched center.

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
For home theater bass, get a sub. The best position for the front L&R is very unlikely to be the best position for the sub, so it's better to have a separate subwoofer. Also, movies have an LFE (low frequency effects) channel (it's the .1 in 5.1) that generally won't play on your mains -- you need to have a sub to hear it.

See the Subwoofers forum for sub info and recommendations.

There is also a DIY section for speakers and subs that you might be interested in.

-Max

1 - 2 of 2 Posts