AVS Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have 4 speakers,

I can setup in windows realtek sound control, just the 4 speakers, front and rear and they test fine.

But WMC is not adaptable, which is dumb, to reflect what the system has available for speakers.

Is there some hack to show only 4 speakers?

When I select 5.1, I dont have a center so of course no voices.

·
Registered
5,012 Posts
I believe there may be a way to set up 4 speakers as extended stereo (i.e., front and rear left and front and rear right). Try a google search and see what you come up with.

·
Registered
3,118 Posts
depending on what file(s) youre playing you can manipulate this in the ffdshow audio decoder. you can set that up and run it with everything EXCEPT copy once tv channels. if you have those you're stuck, but beyond that it can be set up to support different speaker configurations.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I found the ffdshow audio config, made some changes. BUT of course WMC has a mind of its own, no change.

Select stereo in WMC, just front, select 5.1 it is discrete 5.1 sound, so no voices.

What I need is a definitive how to, like step by step, row by row, because otherwise it is just a bunch of button pushing testing an nothing changes,

Like, is it even possible, if it is, then tell me how type idea.

·
Registered
3,118 Posts
the Windows/WMC audio settings are in play if you have no external codecs/filters/decoders installed on your system. once you do install a "codec pack" you can set it to take precedence over the baked in Windows settings.

on my system I have the Shark007 codec pack installed and I have audio routed through the ffdshow decoder. I set it up this way because I have an older 5.1 system without HDMI in and HD audio decoding abilities.

by using ffdshow I can have it re-encode HD audio or multichannel AAC audio to a 5.1 Dolby Digital mix. It works with FM radio too for instance - instead of a 2.0 channel PCM signal going to my receiver I can manipulate it to send a 3.1 channel Dolby Digital mix so that it plays across all three front speakers.

From my perspective you can solve your problem one of two ways:

1) by having the playback system set up for 2 channel, but setting up your sound card settings to use all four speakers

2) by using an external filter like ffdshow (AC3 filter may work too, its been a long time since I've used it) to decode your 2.0, 5.1, and 7.1 audio tracks into 4 channels that will play nice with your speakers

this is the setting you would manipulate in ffdshow:

edit, I see you've found that too.

what exactly did you download and install?

also, what kind of audio system do you have and how is it connected to your pc?

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I played around with it enough that WMC now has a decoder error.

It is a MB sound card 5.1 setup realtek. MSI 7104

Quote:
Audio

• AC'97 link controller integrated in VIA® VT8237R

• Realtek ALC655 6-channel S/W audio codec.

- Compliance with AC'97 v2.2 spec.

- Meets PC2001 audio performance requirement.

k-lite Windows 7 decoder pack installed.

Plain old computer amplified speakers front and rear. I will have find some more speakers.

I set ffdshow to 4 speakers and WMC to stereo and get this.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts