AVS Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

First post ever but I've been reading AVS forums like an addict for some time.

I've got on-wall speakers from Definitive Tech. They fit perfectly but sound... underwhelming with bass when played for music. Stellar performance with HT, expecialy since HT sounds are so environmental (high freq). The Mythos 2 have 2 active drivers and two passive radiators. The radiators are in plane with the active drivers, making me think they are just damping their own sound. Can I open these baddies up, throw in a couple of active drivers, and improve the midbass response?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What tools would you recommend to use for measurements? What equipment? I'm guessing you mean some kind of SPL meter and test sound package?

and am I the only one that thinks passive radiators in this placement screams pressure-dampeners?

·
Registered
7,989 Posts
If you just want a quick check, an Audyssey mic and REW on a laptop. Or Arta. Both are free. Measuring will open your eyes to a lot of improvements possibly.

If you think it's the passives, see if you cant stop them from playing. Maybe damp them with a t-shirt or something soft.

·
Registered
4 Posts
These speakers go down to 45 hz. Make sure you try to set your frequency responce to 50hz and above.(Sub dependent) I have mine set to 90hz with a sub to help fill in. Very full rich sound. I use an onkyo nr818 receiver. I adjusted eq and they came to life.

·
Registered
3,858 Posts
I've listened to the Mythos line and wasn't super impressed. If you're looking at form over function they do pretty well for slim speakers. It's just really hard to get good bass with small drivers and such a shallow cabinet. Have you looked at a mid bass sub to complement your other sub? That might give you what you're looking for.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Unfortunately, Flying Fool, I built a beautiful custom wall cabinet/display/bookshelf for the entertainment center. Form took precedent, to a larger degree than I think I appreciated going into it. For a peek, check out this thread: http://www.avsforum.com/t/1433094/help-defeat-my-rel-subwoofer-resonance#post_22956370

However, I'm interested to hear more about a midbass sub. I haven't considered one but would be very interested in hearing more. Who makes them, what would you recommend, etc?

·
Registered
3,858 Posts
Looks to me like you may be having some of the same issues you had with your sub. Most speakers are not designed to be pushed back into a cavity like that, you'll get baffle step diffraction issues which results in smearing the sound. Unless you're willing to change you're setup around you may be stuck with the sound you're getting.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.