AVS Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone... I was hoping you could give me some advice on what I should do...

I have a DB8 that I just put up at about 20-25 feet on my roof top to pick up OTA from Raleigh, NC. My problem, however, is that I am just about equidistant from the antenna farm that houses most/all the RDU area transmitters and the farm that houses most/all the Triad (Greensboro, High Point, Winston-Salem) transmitters.

Here's the report from tvfool.com for my coordinates:

So the questions... Notice that the majority of stations are concentrated at 84 degrees (RDU) and 297 degrees (Triad). Right now, my DB8 is pointed at 81 degrees.

1: Is tvfool more accurate than antennapoint.com? Antennapoint tells me to turn to 80.99 degrees for RDU, while tvfool is telling me 84. For a directional antenna at 37 miles, that's a fairly significant difference in azimuth. For what it's worth, AntennaWeb is telling me 93 degrees for RDU channels. I'm going with tvfool as more accurate for now, as it allowed me to use Lat/Long intstead of address, as there are NO mapping services that seem to be able to properly locate my home based on address (they are usually accurate to within 2 miles, give or take).

2: I've read on here suggestions about removing the screens from the DB8 to give it a wider reception range, at the loss of a few dB gain. How significant do you think this would impact my reception of RDU channels?

3: At the moment, I can ONLY receive the RDU channels (84 degrees) and do not get ANY of the Triad channels (297 degrees). Would I, at my distance to each, be at a loss if I turned one side of the db8 around and pointed it roughly toward 297? What if I removed the screen from that one side?

My other option is to leave the DB8 pointed to RDU, and pick up something else to point toward the Triad.

So for now, those are the questions I have... would it be better to try to modify the DB8 to point in two different directions, or use a 2nd antenna? If a 2nd antenna is wiser, would it be good to mount them both on the same mast, or would I need to separate them a few feet apart?

OR, does anyone have OTHER suggestions, given my location and distance from any transmitters?

·
Registered
690 Posts
I think a 4-bay with the screen removed would be the best bet here. If you have the original DB-8 with the splitter/combiner, you could remove the screens from the left bays and connect the balun on that side directly to your downlead (bypassing the combiner), essentially giving you a DB-4 with no screen. Then point the antenna somewhere between 94 and 117 degrees.

Going to 4 bays widens the beamwidth but reduces the gain; removing the screens makes the antenna bidirectional and further reduces the gain.

Almost equivalently, you could remove all the screens, leave everything connected, and point the antenna at 105 degrees. My gut feel is that a 4-bay setup will be more forgiving in aim, however.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.