AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alot of the fun in the AV hobby is to make upgrades and seeing the difference each one makes in the performance of the system. So would it be taking the fun out of it by doing all the mods at once?

OT Example: Owned a couple of motorcycles. My first one had the dealer install all the performance upgrades before I took delivery. I never truly appreciated that motorcycle. The second one I bought stock and got used to the performance. Then added a mod every few months and it was very satisfying.

I can think of a couple of problems with the incremental approach:

1) Having to take the projector off the ceiling (and maybe shipping it)

2) Do I have to have it re-set up and calibrated each time?

·
Registered
4,815 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by UD180
I can think of a couple of problems with the incremental approach:

1) Having to take the projector off the ceiling (and maybe shipping it)

2) Do I have to have it re-set up and calibrated each time?
those are good questions. I have done all the mods to Marquuee's with the machine on the ceiling, takes some skill and maybe not a good place to it do first time, but it's very do-able. Yes, the machine will most likely need a complete set- up almost any time you replace almost any board in the chassis.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by draganm
Yes, the machine will most likely need a complete set- up almost any time you replace almost any board in the chassis.
Hmm, 1 at a time isn't sounding so good anymore.

·
Registered
4,815 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by UD180
Hmm, 1 at a time isn't sounding so good anymore.
Actually adding the MP cards to my 8500 made for a minimal change, just required a convergence touch-up. It might also affect stig+flare but if you've never done those yoke adjustments you won't be losing any of the sharpness you have now. Other boards make much bigger changes, like CMM and HDM. Replacing these will even change the throw distance.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I agree that you probably will need to setup the machine properly after a mod or a board swap, but if you have a bunch of mods, I would rather do them one at a time and test the machine before moving to the next one and save the " proper setup" part until the very end. Just test the mod for proper operation, then do the next mod and test etc etc. Only do a final setup when it's in the final operating position.

I personally hate to troubleshoot five things at once when I could limit the problem area right off the bat to the last thing I worked on.

IMHO

·
Registered
521 Posts
HI,

I totally agree if you are doing the mods yourself, do them one at a time or risk hours of lost time trouble shooting them later :(

GOd bless...

Mark

·
Registered
4,815 Posts
good point, it never occured to me that someone might be doing it themselves. Reminds me my of drag racing days, you would never make more than 1 change to the car at a time, otherwise yuo never know whether it was going faster or slower. :p However I would never take a soldering iron to a Marquee board that costs $300. (used) . I have to admire the people who are that brave. :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.