AVS Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is a modular PSU worth it?

I was thinking a modular PSU would be nice, so I wouldn't have cables cramming the case. But then I wondered how many cables would I not use, and how much less cramming would I actually have.

Modular sounds nice, but doesn't do a lot of good if it only saves me 2 skinny cables that are removed.

Your thoughts?

·
Registered
864 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by snakyjake /forum/post/20810203

I was thinking a modular PSU would be nice, so I wouldn't have cables cramming the case. But then I wondered how many cables would I not use, and how much less cramming would I actually have.

Modular sounds nice, but doesn't do a lot of good if it only saves me 2 skinny cables that are removed.

Your thoughts?

I have a modular PSU...microcenter had a very good price.

If cable tidiness is a huge concern then yes, otherwise just ziptie the unused cables on a regular PSU and you'll be good to go. If given a choice between 2nd tier modular or 1st tier(antec,seasonic) I would choose the latter.

·
Registered
294 Posts
I like good components with DIY builds anyways, and the tier1 modular all have at least a 5 year warranty now.

If you are doing a cramped micro or itx build, it can make a difference.

Great in rackmounts too, since they don't have a tray to tuck under and usually no good place to bundle up the unused plugs.

It seems most higher wattage psus tend to come with enough plugs for 2 cpus, 2-4 video cards and a dozen drives, drives me nuts.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I prefer smaller mATX cases, so I found a modular unit handy. It would be handier if they offered different lengths of the same cable, as some are much longer than needed.

·
Registered
243 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by snakyjake /forum/post/20810203

Your thoughts?

I used a Seasonic x-660 and am happy with the results. I have one unused 12volt CPU connector, one unused 4 pin Molex on one of the drive power cables and no extra cables.

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
Honestly you end up with just about as many cables hanging off anyways. Just because it says modular doesnt mean you have less cables. The main cables that go to the motherboard and video card are there no matter what. Sometimes they separate the video card ones so you can have one less with a modular if your vid card only takes one cable and I suppose with integrated graphics you could possibly have 2 less cables like that but then by the time you get 2 cables for a single sata hard drive you already have a lot of cables. Oh and a cable for the fans. I dont see many less cables with any of my modular ones. The only reason I really get modular is basically if it comes with whatever one I buy. One thing I would look for though is a gold rated one because it will pay for itself.

·
Registered
882 Posts
I don't think so. Just zip tie the cables you don't use. Nobody's going to care what the inside of your HTPC looks like anyway.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts