AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Whate are those things called that allow you to put your ReplayTV (or any RCA - or SVIDEO), onto a normal coax cable. And share with your cable TV.

I think you can even set it to a cannel like 125 or something.

Any recomendation would be nice too.

Thanks.

·
Registered
827 Posts
First check out 'E-Bay'

Second check out your local cable system and UHF air space to make sure that you have a channel that is unused with a spacing of at least two numbers.. these can not be scrambled.. the channel has to be totally clear or you will get interference.... even from local HDTV digital signals in the UHF range!!!

Once you know you have a channel or two open now you have to choose...

Go mono for single channel for less than $100

Go stereo for greater than $300

All I can say is.. I have used and currently using all MONO UHF modulators.. for a total of seven internal channels + off air channels.

2= DSS, 2=VCR, 1=RPTV, 1=DVD, 1=Computer showing random weather web sites to create my own personal weather channel!..

My biggest headache is local electoral interference!!

I use everything from brand names such as 'Channel Master / Sony' to no name brand 'eBay'$5.00 auction wins!

The only thing that I can say is.. Make sure that it is digital w/display! You do not want one where you have to 'tune it in'!!

I was going to give you a few web links but due to the storms I can not make sure that the links that I currenly have bookmarked on my system are still active.... so jsut do a 'Google' for UHF TV MODULATOR

·
Registered
108 Posts
We have two units at our house, each unit creates two channels, for a grand total of four internal channels. (DirecTV, big old manual satellite tv, and VCR -- fourth channel is unused). We've had them for a number of years now.

I don't know the name of the units (not home now). We have them set to channels 109, 112, and 120, I believe. We have cable as well (not digital, no cable box needed) and the last channel on our cable system is 99 or something.

Interference is a problem sometimes, we've had work done on our internal cable netowrk on the house recently, and we've had to push some channels around in order to get a quailty picture on the internal channels.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Radio Shack has single channel agile modulators for $24.

See

Part number: 15-1243

I have 2 of them feeding my replays output for use throughout my house...

Elan--

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
I've got phone line ones - they work great and don't get any interference from anything.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So it seems you get what you paid for :)

I'll look at them online.

The phone line one is interesting too because that's not over cable then?

Tony

·
Registered
57 Posts
ToeKneeC67,

If you do a side by side on the Radio Shack Catalog #: 15-1243 and the CE LABS 1001F PRO GRADE RF MODULATOR on the Parts Express page... they look exactly alike - placement of the connectors on the back are the same. I would bet that if you opened them up, they are the same unit, so the Radioshack unit is 1/3 the price! It's a no-brainer, if thats the type of unit you're looking for.

Regards

·
Registered
827 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by reedg01
I hate when the voters get involved...
What a shocking spell check turn of events.. but it was right in more ways than one.. if it was not due to the FCC rules I would be watching network feeds via-DSS and not off-air...

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by mburkhart
Heathriel what phone line ones do you use?
Radio Shack Home Audio Video Network 15-1975

(discontinued)

Available on eBay.

Awesome as heck.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.