1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
2,294 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
110 Posts
Honestly, their website makes this seem really sketchy. There's hardly any info and the link to "Watch the Video" just takes you to Google. I also can't imagine that the MPAA won't sue them into oblivion before they get off the ground if they're planning to allow ripping DVD & Blu-rays.

·
Registered
2,294 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Honestly, their website makes this seem really sketchy. There's hardly any info and the link to "Watch the Video" just takes you to Google. I also can't imagine that the MPAA won't sue them into oblivion before they get off the ground if they're planning to allow ripping DVD & Blu-rays.
and that's the 2 things i was also thinking.

i posted here cause i was wondering if anyone else kinda stumbled by this also. . .

would be nice if it was legit

jim

·
Registered
2,247 Posts
Big dreams. Everything checks out legit though. The website is owned by steve schulz the address points to his home address depends on how much of his own money he wants to plunk into it as it does not seem like there is a "real company" behind it just a one man show currently.

·
Registered
2,294 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
hey ya know good luck to him. would be awesome. others have done it big and done it right. most recent example i can think of is irule. Itai brought that up from the beginning and his company has grown and the app continues to grow.

jim

·
Registered
3,582 Posts
Interesting product, but I would have to ask is this not just essentially a HTPC with a custom interface? Can it utilise an external NAS a media source for pre-ripped movies?

Also, how are they going to get around the DVD and Blu-ray ripping copyright infringement that Kaleidescape spent years fighting the movie studios in the courts over, and eventually lost and had to remove the functionality from their systems?

·
Registered
2,090 Posts
Interesting product, but I would have to ask is this not just essentially a HTPC with a custom interface? Can it utilise an external NAS a media source for pre-ripped movies?

Also, how are they going to get around the DVD and Blu-ray ripping copyright infringement that Kaleidescape spent years fighting the movie studios in the courts over, and eventually lost and had to remove the functionality from their systems?
I'm not sure they can - think it's only a matter of time before this idea gets filed away under 'vaporware'.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I wasn't expecting a price point of $2,899. :(

http://www.512tech.com/technology/t...have-been-waiting-for/6eWRZtQVdNdnfFIstkNSPL/

"An Austin company with a new product it debuted at the CEDIA 2016 trade show in Dallas over the weekend, says it might have the box A/V geeks have been waiting for. Modulus Media Systems is showing off a device it plans to begin shipping in March or April for about $2,899 called the M1. That seems pricey compared to components you might find at Best Buy, but the M1 combines a CD/DVD/Blu-ray player/ripper, 12 terabytes of space to store a home-media library, a DVR with no monthly fees capable of automatic commercial skipping, 4K video streaming and the ability to watch recordings and other home media remotely. "

·
Registered
3,582 Posts
I wasn't expecting a price point of $2,899. :(
What price point were you expecting?

That price doesn't seem unreasonable for a fairly high spec 4K capable media centre PC with 12TB storage, tuner cards, custom case, bespoke interface software, licence fees, ongoing support and that fancy remote.

That isn't even before adding the necessary layers of dealer and distributor profit margins.

·
Premium Member
3,493 Posts

That price doesn't seem unreasonable for a fairly high spec 4K capable media centre PC with 12TB storage, tuner cards, custom case, bespoke interface software, licence fees, ongoing support and that fancy remote.

That isn't even before adding the necessary layers of dealer and distributor profit margins.
+1....its better than I was expecting considering what the cost of its competitors (FusionHD, Kaleidescape, Zappitti) are

I'd would like a scaled down version with just the blu ray/dvd functionality.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Message From The CEO of Modulus Media Systems

I want to thank all of you for your interest in the Modulus M1, and assure you that it is not vaporware - it is legit, legal, and on its way. In fact, we have already received an award for "Best Entertainment System" at CEDIA 2016 (please go to Innovation and Technology Today magazine - I cannot post links yet until I have submitted at least 5 posts).

The M1 just came out of stealth mode at CEDIA a few weeks back, and we were not expecting such a sudden, overwhelming industry response. Specifically, our website is in the middle of an architectural platform transition at present and the old site is lacking better details. The new website be online in several weeks. With our short decision on CEDIA, we were focused much more on product software development for our CEDIA demos (such as voice control, stream recording, etc.).

Finally, on the question of legality, please know that our attorneys have reviewed our novel approach (including numerous trade secrets) and we remain confident that Modulus will be in full compliance with all U.S. copyright law and respectful of content ownership, while still providing users the in-home flexibility and convenience they expect.

Best Regards, Steve Schulz

·
Registered
46 Posts

When I said I wasn't expecting $2,899, I wasn't saying that the price was or was not reasonable.

Just beyond my reach at this point. ;)

·
Registered
46 Posts
I want to thank all of you for your interest in the Modulus M1, and assure you that it is not vaporware - it is legit, legal, and on its way. In fact, we have already received an award for "Best Entertainment System" at CEDIA 2016 (please go to Innovation and Technology Today magazine - I cannot post links yet until I have submitted at least 5 posts).

The M1 just came out of stealth mode at CEDIA a few weeks back, and we were not expecting such a sudden, overwhelming industry response. Specifically, our website is in the middle of an architectural platform transition at present and the old site is lacking better details. The new website be online in several weeks. With our short decision on CEDIA, we were focused much more on product software development for our CEDIA demos (such as voice control, stream recording, etc.).

Finally, on the question of legality, please know that our attorneys have reviewed our novel approach (including numerous trade secrets) and we remain confident that Modulus will be in full compliance with all U.S. copyright law and respectful of content ownership, while still providing users the in-home flexibility and convenience they expect.

Thank you very much for the update, and I look forward to hearing more about the Modulus M1 in the coming days.

·
Registered
2,247 Posts

Thanks for the update. Will be keeping an eye on this product.

·
Registered
2,090 Posts
Thanks Steve

I look forward to seeing this in action, but you can slap me sceptical, If I don't think this is going anywhere, other than into litigation. Don't see what has changed in ripping/copyright legislation from when Kaleidescape tried the same approach 10 years ago - the studios will have another field day.

Hopefully I'm wrong and will be happy to eat humble pie if proved wrong.

·
Registered
3,364 Posts
Looks interesting. Probably a customized kodi/xbmc software fork...I wonder what trade secrets there could be?
Likely will not support importing encrypted discs but will require the owner to buy and install anydvd.
Good luck to them. Will likely be midrange hardware with 2x6 or 3x4TB hdd's. Hardware premium for sure.

·
Registered
3,582 Posts

Steve, welcome to the forum, thanks for taking the time to participate. I hope you continue to do so, even though us AVS'ers can be quiet a 'tough crowd'.

It is good to see new and innovative products coming to market, however I would appreciate some clarity on how the device deals with the critical point of blu-ray ripping. For most potential buyers that have an understanding of the market this will be a critical point.

Can you confirm that the M1 will inherently (as delivered) have the ability to crack the decryption on a blu-ray disc and rip the video and audio from that disc, to the internal HDD, and that video/audio can be played back by the M1 without requiring the original disc to be inserted in the disc drive?

If the answer to the above is 'Yes', as has been highlighted in this thread already, Kaleidescape (perhaps one of your closest competitors) has been pursued by the movie studios for the best part of a decade specifically regarding them allowing users to break the encryption on a blu-ray disc and place a copy of that disc on a hard drive. Ultimately Kaleidescape had no choice but to concede and remove the ability to rip blu-ray discs from all of their future hardware.

Given this, could you detail how exactly you feel the M1 does not place you, and potential owners, in a similarly vulnerable position facing the potential wrath of the movie studios, and specifically how the M1 circumvents this and avoids falling foul of the copyright laws associated with breaking blu-ray disc encryption and copying the content?

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
Ultimately Kaleidescape had no choice but to concede and remove the ability to rip blu-ray discs from all of their future hardware.
Are you sure? My understanding is that Kaleidescape still does exactly this. They are only allowed to do so, because the disc needs to be in the player or the disc vault. But the actual playback happens from the server.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts