AVS Forum banner

21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
3,582 Posts
Are you sure? My understanding is that Kaleidescape still does exactly this. They are only allowed to do so, because the disc needs to be in the player or the disc vault. But the actual playback happens from the server.
The key words there were 'future hardware'. The newly released Encore line of products do not have this functionality, and any existing product owners (Premier Line) that want to integrate with the new Encore line also have to give up any ripping functionality.

EDIT: Just to clarify, the Alto and Strato don't 'rip' the content of the disc, they simply 'catalog' the disc, by creating a meta-data entry on the player so the movie is shown on the movie wall, and require the disc to be inserted for playback. Only if a disc to digital purchase is made, or UV code applied, can the movie be downloaded from the Kal store for disc free playback.

·
Registered
2,294 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Are you sure? My understanding is that Kaleidescape still does exactly this. They are only allowed to do so, because the disc needs to be in the player or the disc vault. But the actual playback happens from the server.
I was wondering the same. So we can rip the disk and be done with it?

·
Registered
2,294 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
No - See Wookii's EDIT.

I know how their players and servers work but I was talking about this player. How r they getting around not having a store that one would download from or how it was handled in the past with a disk being in the vault.

So what is this company doing to make it all legit?

It would be greAt if that could be explained to us here.

I mean before I drop 3 grand for a server I want to make sure all functions will be in place.

The ripping and playing back of content is the main reason I would like this piece.

Was there anything about the apps being able to pass HDR content with the unit?

·
Registered
2,090 Posts
I know how their players and servers work but I was talking about this player. How r they getting around not having a store that one would download from or how it was handled in the past with a disk being in the vault.

So what is this company doing to make it all legit?

It would be greAt if that could be explained to us here.

I mean before I drop 3 grand for a server I want to make sure all functions will be in place.

The ripping and playing back of content is the main reason I would like this piece.

Was there anything about the apps being able to pass HDR content with the unit?
Might have been clearer hadn't you quoted a post about how Kaleidescape handled material.

I agree that a more detailed response on the legal issues would be welcome - but I wouldn't be too concerned at this time about dropping any money on this.

·
Registered
2,294 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Might have been clearer hadn't you quoted a post about how Kaleidescape handled material.

I agree that a more detailed response on the legal issues would be welcome - but I wouldn't be too concerned at this time about dropping any money on this.
sorry i know i wasn't clear really. i get a thought in my head and then hit the quote button. sorry.

i think it looks like it can be a good piece IF it does what they say it can do. time will tell.

jim

·
Registered
2,090 Posts
sorry i know i wasn't clear really. i get a thought in my head and then hit the quote button. sorry.

i think it looks like it can be a good piece IF it does what they say it can do. time will tell.

jim
LOL - no need for apologies - prone to that myself.

Agree IF it does what they claim - me, I'm forever the pessimist/cynic. Just seems too good to be true.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Re: Modulus Questions

Perhaps I can clarify a few things. With respect to disc importing, we chose a different approach than Kaleidescape, so direct legal comparisons may not be valid. Second, our system is not based upon Kodi / XBMC, and Anydvd is not employed. I'll just comment for now that Modulus represents over 7 years of (pre-company) software development (while working toward my vision for our own family's use), plus very new software and other acquired proprietary software components. Modulus uses some technically novel implementations that we expect to be legally clean in what we provide / support (e.g. HD-quality stream recording). The company does not distribute unauthorized decryption technology.
To support its wide variety of product features, the system contains lots of hardware processing power and is inherently flexible, which we think customers will appreciate having at the hub of their entire personal media system. I hope these answers are helpful (either directly or indirectly), even though most details will be coming later as we approach commercial product release.

·
Registered
51 Posts
A press release announces an unveiling at CEDIA 2017 on September 5. No word on whether it supports HDR (a complete showstopper for me if it doesn't), and it is stated to have "the ability to record programs streamed from the internet." It would sure be great if it could record from Netflix or Amazon Prime for folks who don't have a fast enough internet to get HDR from those sources. Also no word on Atmos and DTS:X. Blu-ray players support those but NOT from USB connectors so it would also be of critical importance to know whether there is full support for Atmos and DTS:X from any source. Still not much in the way of details but you can read the story at Sound and Vision:
https://www.soundandvision.com/content/modulus-previews-‘all-one’-media-hub

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
... and it is stated to have "the ability to record programs streamed from the internet." It would sure be great if it could record from Netflix or Amazon Prime for folks who don't have a fast enough internet to get HDR from those sources. Also no word on Atmos and DTS:X. Blu-ray players support those but NOT from USB connectors so it would also be of critical importance to know whether there is full support for Atmos and DTS:X from any source.
Why do you think it would be great for those who don’t have a fast enough internet connection? If it’s not fast enough to stream 4K HDR, you can’t record it. Its’s most likely just a screen capturing software that does the recording.

What’s more important imo is how the player will handle/enforce Cinavia. If its like the new Oppo which enforces it on discs/USB/network (smb, dlna), that would be a major dealbreaker.

·
Registered
2,247 Posts
They are shipping but only to installers. Seems they are going the same route as kaleidescape that only certain integrator/Dealer networks will get access at the start. Which sadly increases the price a bit if you are looking to do a custom install yourself as you have to go thru a 3rd party.

·
Registered
3,224 Posts
They are shipping but only to installers. Seems they are going the same route as kaleidescape that only certain integrator/Dealer networks will get access at the start. Which sadly increases the price a bit if you are looking to do a custom install yourself as you have to go thru a 3rd party.

Well, it was interesting for a minute...

·
Registered
2,247 Posts
Any news? Are they shipping do dealers "already" or is it still vaporware?
When I spoke with them, I had emailed with Carmen Adams which I think is the COO. I was told there is a list of installers that I could get a demo with. As I was not interested I did not ask for the list. But its not supposed to be available until April I think.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Re: Modulus Questions
@Steven E. Schulz - Thank you for joining Mike and Jiles @nexus99 on the podcast and answering several of the questions posed here so many years ago. It was great to see that you're still around and making great progress with the Modulus line. It sounds like you've surpassed many of the requirements mentioned in this thread, so I thought I would shine some light on the fact that the box is real and would make a fine addition to our homes. I'll continue to research it myself, as I'm just building my HT right now, but it could be the next piece of hardware that I buy.

21 - 40 of 40 Posts