AVS Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I am new to this but not new to AV tech I am just trying to save the hassle because you guys are great at this stuff.

I used to watch TV outside lugging out a 32inch lcd and I would run an extension cord and use a mohu leaf and plug it in. Beautiful HDTV for football in the fall. Now however I am a homeowner and don't have to do this in my driveway so I am setting up a system out back on my patio.

Getting coax out there is going to be quite the chore, and require drilling some holes that I don't want to drill. So I could just as easily use an antenna. However, what will I need to connect the antenna to projector? I have Comcast, and as it is I have a little Digital Converer box that has Coax in, and HDMI out. I rent it for like 1.99 a month. Would that little digital converter box work with the MOHU leaf, running the HDMI into the projector for 1080p NFL goodness?

Thanks guys!..

Oh, and do projectors have some kind of sound out typically so I could hook it up to a system?

Here is where it is all going, somewhere, still haven't figured out where to put the screen.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,118 Posts
These are pretty popular on the forum. A lot of Xbox One users with antennas picked them up before the XB1 tuner was released. It tunes the signal from the antenna and spits it out over hdmi.

https://www.amazon.com/Mediasonic-Homeworx-HW180STB-Converter-Recording/dp/B00IYETYX8/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1471644365&sr=1-1&keywords=atsc+tuner+hdmi

Most projectors do usually have lousy speakers in them and potentially an audio out, but that Homeworx box has RCA audio outs too.

I have a little amp for my patio tv and a Chromecast Audio hidden in one of those plastic drawer bins from Walmart (see my signature).

·
Registered
6,199 Posts
Comcast Box is only good for CABLE signals.....you need an OTA Tuner, such as the one above....iView also makes 3100STB (Very small), 3200STB and 3500STB that are very similar.

I would run Audio L/R (WHITE/RED) cables from OTA Tuner to a BOOM-BOX Radio...preferably one that allows at least one or both of the Speakers to be split away from the other....ditto BD Player.

·
Premium Member
6,500 Posts
So I am new to this but not new to AV tech I am just trying to save the hassle because you guys are great at this stuff.

I used to watch TV outside lugging out a 32inch lcd and I would run an extension cord and use a mohu leaf and plug it in. Beautiful HDTV for football in the fall. Now however I am a homeowner and don't have to do this in my driveway so I am setting up a system out back on my patio.

Getting coax out there is going to be quite the chore, and require drilling some holes that I don't want to drill. So I could just as easily use an antenna. However, what will I need to connect the antenna to projector? I have Comcast, and as it is I have a little Digital Converer box that has Coax in, and HDMI out. I rent it for like 1.99 a month. Would that little digital converter box work with the MOHU leaf, running the HDMI into the projector for 1080p NFL goodness?

Thanks guys!..

Oh, and do projectors have some kind of sound out typically so I could hook it up to a system?

Here is where it is all going, somewhere, still haven't figured out where to put the screen.
1. Have you done a search on TV Fool to determine what, if any, reception you would get with an antenna?

2. As others have mentioned you need a new converter box that handles OTA reception if that's the way you set up things.

3. You mention watching NFL games - will this be during the day? Even the brightest projector would have a hard time coping with the ambient light on the shady side of the house in the afternoon.

4. Some business/HT projectors like the Viewsonic PJD7720HD are inexpensive and bright (3200 lumens) and have onboard speakers and an audio output to connect to external speakers.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01EAPUHYY

Good luck with your project.

·
Registered
6,199 Posts
BEST Reception Performance would be provided with an Antenna Outdoors on the ROOF (or in the Attic). It then could be attached to your OTA Tuner with a WIRELESS HDMI EXTENDER [incl. IR for R/C] connecting to the Outdoor TV:
https://www.amazon.com/IOGEAR-GW3DHDKIT-Wireless-Digital-Channel/dp/B00630WKGI
Unfortunately, I don't know of any HDTV's that have an HDMI OUTPUT that could be Wirelessly Extended to the Outdoor TV.....

1 - 6 of 6 Posts