AVS Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys! I am currently building a house and have seen some great advice from everyone. I have a roughly 23 x 17 x 10 space that I would like to use to build out a designated home theater. The house is currently being framed (about 2 weeks left) and then rough-in will start for HVAC/plumbing/electric, so I can't change the basic dimensions.

I plan to use the space for 80% movies and 20% TV/gaming. I am interested in a 9.2.4 or 9.4.4 set-up.

Tentative setup:
AVR: Denon X6700H
AMP: Adding a 3-channel amp to power the LCR speakers as the Denon only has 11 powered channels.
Receiver: JVC NX5 due to it's lens memory (among other things)
Screen: Seymour 120" 2.35 AT screen (shout out to Chris Seymour for the help)
Speakers: TBD
Subs: Leaning toward dual Hsu VTF-15H MK2

I have attached my floor plan for the proposed space and also a rough sketch. My sketch has two possible locations for the left and right speakers (either at behind the AT screen at the very edge or in wall lateral to the screen. I was trying to compromise on speaker position due to 2 rows of seating and door location. I went off a similar setup that someone else posted from Quest for a 7.2.4 setup.

I would need a riser for the 2nd row of seating. I was thinking of having a step-up along the sides of the 2nd row to get to the platform, and then step back down along the sides of the 1st row.

Looking for advice on:
1) Overall room layout
2) Left and right behind the screen or just lateral to the screen?
3) Recommendations on speakers (LCR, wides, surrounds, rears, atmos) to stay roughly 7k?
4) Thoughts on steps for the riser

Let me know what you think!

Thanks!

Attachments

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Have you had a discussion with your builder about duct runs that might run across your theater ceiling?
I have not. I plan on discussing with the GC and our HVAC sub to discuss this. I am not sure what level of knowledge they have regarding home theater HVAC, so I may be asking many more questions!

We will have 2 furnaces and 2 A/C units. Would it be better to do an additional zone for the theater or just do a mini split A/C with a heat pump. Any recommendations on heat pump brand?

·
Registered
544 Posts
Is this a dedicated, sealed space? If so, when talking to your GC/HVAC sub about runs, find out how much extra it would cost to zone the theater separate from the house. I promise it will be worth it if you ever have more than 2 people in the room.

Also, you have a nice space there it would be a shame to put such a small screen in there. But that can always be changed later....much easier than the HVAC concerns.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Is this a dedicated, sealed space? If so, when talking to your GC/HVAC sub about runs, find out how much extra it would cost to zone the theater separate from the house. I promise it will be worth it if you ever have more than 2 people in the room.

Also, you have a nice space there it would be a shame to put such a small screen in there. But that can always be changed later....much easier than the HVAC concerns.

It will be a dedicated, sealed space. I will definitely be discussing with the HVAC guy. Thanks for the advice!

As far as the screen goes. My recommendation from Seymour for my seating positions is 120 x 51. I think I could go bigger but I worry about the front row viewing angle getting too large. I’m a front of middle-third of the theater guy. I could definitely go larger but I think 150” wide would be the max.

Screen options:
1) 120x51
Front = 51 degree viewing angle
Back = 34 degree viewing angle
2 x height = 8.5’
3 x height = 12.8’
4 x height = 17’

2) 130 x 55.3
Front = 54.6 degree viewing angle
Back = 36.3 degree viewing angle
2 x height = 9.2’
3 x height = 13.8’
4 x height = 18.4’

3) 140 x 59.5
Front = 58.1 degree viewing angle
Back = 38.9 degree viewing angle
2 x height = 9.9’
3 x height = 14.9’
4 x height = 19.8

4) 150 x 63.8
Front = 61.5 degree viewing angle
Back = 41.5 degree viewing angle
2 x height = 10.6’
3 x height = 16
4 x height = 21.3”

·
Registered
319 Posts
Whether you go for a wider screen or not, you may want to consider going for a 16x9 screen with some masking. That would allow you better immersion for IMAX footage and stuff like Pacific Rim. DIY masking panels are especially cheap and easy if you don't want to splurge on motorized masking.

·
Registered
544 Posts
I agree with trance. If you do decide on some sort of masking you can get a bigger screen than you think you need and mask it down....and then redo the masks in 6 months when you decide you want the bigger screen. Lol.

My space is a bit bigger than yours but my first row will probably be too close to the 14 foot wide 2.40:1, 12 foot 16:9 screen I will be building.....yes I'm doing a 2:1 Constant Area setup. Most people with 8 foot or less ceilings can't do this but you MAY be able to with 10 foot ceilings. Just a thought and maybe not worth the trouble, just wanted to throw it out there.

Back to the HVAC, I forget the exact number but I want to say for a silent HVAC system you want a flow of 250 feet per minute? I threw out this number to my hvac guy and told him I wanted oversized supplies and returns so I couldn't hear the air flow at all. I ended up with (6) 7 inch supplies and (2) 10 inch and (1) 4 inch [projector] return. Its dead silent and works great. A lot of people don't have total control of their HVAC but since you are starting with a clean slate it should be your number one priority....ok I'll step away from the dead horse now. Lol

1 - 7 of 7 Posts