AVS Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Replacing a 27" CRT and to avoid drastic rearrangements to make room for something larger we've settled on about 40". Probably going with Sony on this although Samsung might be considered.

Sony has so may different series it's pretty confusing. She doesn't need anything too fancy so advanced features like 120/240Hz aren't needed.

For starters does anyone have an opinion on KDL40S5100?

Or KDL-40EX400 which seems like a newer model as I don't see reviews.

·
Banned
1,244 Posts
The Sony S5100 is plenty enough for anyone who wishes to watch television and not need any other pricey features. Sony probably does the best upconversion of SD signals.

The KDL-40EX400 is a 2010 model and hasn't been officially released yet.

·
Registered
1,675 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelik22 /forum/post/18298703

Sorry, Sony's are not known for good upconversion, dont know where you get your info, but most Sonys do only an average job...

In the 6 years I've been reading this forum the general impression I get is that Sony HDTVs are leaders at handling SD. I've seen this both from posts and from professional reviews. It also corresponds to what I've seen in stores.

Of course other companies produce sets that can do it as well. My JVC RP is quite decent. And different TVs from the same maker can have different capabilities.

·
Registered
7,233 Posts
I've auditioned the new EX500 and it's black levels are much improved over the S series EX500 now at 150,000:1 Dynamic and they have more of an appearance of the Z5100. In fact the EX500's I viewed were alongside the LED EX700 and it outperformed the more expensive LED - EX500 Beat it in Blacks/Whites - Colors and Shadow Details after reviewing them 2 weeks in a row and I've seen about five other people from around the country post the same results and I had no agenda to pick it over the LED but it was so obvious it could not be denied.

S series is the budget series line from over a year ago but probably being cleared pretty cheap right now but the EX500 should outperform it.

·
Registered
585 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelik22 /forum/post/18298703

Sorry, Sony's are not known for good upconversion, dont know where you get your info, but most Sonys do only an average job at upconversion.

Comparing to one Samsung, two LGs, and a Sharp (all 2008 models) I've had, my Sony does a better job with displaying SD. So much so that I bought another. The Sammy was by far the worst. LGs were almost on par with Sony but the PQ was grainier.

Never had the plaesure of owning Toshiba so I can't comment.

For SD, Sony is a safe bet... and that 40EX400 is priced lower than last year's models. Check out Sonystyle.com for info on the set and the attractive MSRP.

Good luck!

P.S. You might even find last year's models at a steal right now, but visit the actual stores themselves to determine pricing, I've found that the prices online are not indicative of store pricing right now.

·
Registered
1,675 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by westa6969 /forum/post/18304085

...the EX500's I viewed were alongside the LED EX700 and it outperformed the more expensive LED - EX500 Beat it in Blacks/Whites - Colors and Shadow Details after reviewing them 2 weeks in a row...

This doesn't correspond with what I saw in the good quality store I mentioned in the "Bravia 2010 line-up" thread. I spent some time looking for exactly that, watching for such things as the weave in dark clothing. The two series were close, but I definitely found the 700 better.

But particular sets can vary. Considering that Sony is new to the edge-lit LED game, I wonder if you are seeing the types of quality bugs quite common in new technologies.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I just picked up a kdl-40EX400. I've got it hooked up to an HR10-250 Directv tivo running 1080i through component (the Sony would not accept HDMI from the HR10) and with SD content, the picture looks no worse than others I've seen, unless you are too close and as with everything, if you're too close you can pick out all the flaws ...

That being said, the the S5100 and ex400 are 60hz, the EX500 is 120hz so it doesn't technically compare to the EX400.

·
Registered
296 Posts
However, if your mom is a sports fan, I wouldn't recommend the KDL-40EX400--you can see very slight "stuttering" on very fast action. I'd recommend spending around US$800 for the KDL-40EX500.

·
Registered
39 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayChuang /forum/post/18308690

However, if your mom is a sports fan, I wouldn't recommend the KDL-40EX400--you can see very slight "stuttering" on very fast action. I'd recommend spending around US$800 for the KDL-40EX500.

Agree, its a very nice TV for an insanely low price.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.