AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm currently trying to get the Momitsu V880 to work correctly with the Pioneer 433MXE plasma screen. I thought it would be a pretty good idea to start a thread where people posted their own DVI custom settings to build up a bank of knowledge on what works and what doesn't, and with what equipment!

Also, if any one has successfully converted PowerStrip settings across to the Momitsu and Bravo D1 custom settings, please post your techniques here :)

Accessing the custom resolutions menu is very straightforward. Press SETUP and highlight the DVI option. Then press 9 7 1 3.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I've widened this appeal to include the Bravo D1 which seems to share key internals with the Momitsu - based on what I've read on this forum, the Custom Settings are identical...

·
Registered
86 Posts
Grandmaster,

This thread is an excellent idea, I'm currently trying to figure out the custom DVI settings for my Sony VPL-HS10 front projector, so far I can't get the settings I'm inputing to sync properly, the projector keeps defaulting to a 800x600 resolution, so if anybody has had any success at 1:1 pixel mapping with the Momitsu V880 and Sony VPL-HS10, "please" add that knowledge to this thread.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I think there are many people out there who want to sync their kit to the Momitsu V880... the problem is that Manowa technical support are not very good at all. I had a whole raft of PowerStrip settings which work fine on the Pioneer plasma through HTPC but don't work at all on the V880. I sent these settings to Manowa asking if I'd made a mistake in the translation of the settings from Powerstrip to V880 and just got an email back saying "thank you for your assistance, we'll fix this in the next firmware update"... um fix what?!

Considering the lack of response to this thread, I can't help but think that the Custom Settings menu just doesn't work properly... in fact, if you reset all the settings back to their defaults on the menu (which seems to be a [email protected] selection) that doesn't work either!

What is all the more irritating is that the new firmware released a couple of weeks back includes extra plasma and projector DVI settings. But inexplicably, Manowa only included those extra settings on one set of firmware for the engineering sample models of the V880!! :confused:

·
Registered
127 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by jkennedy
Great idea. Settings for a JVC G-150 would be greatly appreciated.
The right people to contact would be Sigma Designs in the states.

Note that Manowa, like Bravo and Nichimen, seem to be only assembling a few pieces inside of a box.

The Sigma Designs V880 DVD Kit is providing the functionality.

·
Registered
132 Posts
All versions of current firmware do NOT support CUSTOM SETTINGS. I had talked to Fred Chen, Products manager of MANOWA, to verify the issue at COMPUTEX Taipei last Friday; and he confirmed what I doubted the CUSTOM RESOLUTION SETTINGS MENU are disabled to prevent some wise guys like all of you, video manics, to mess with.

The good news is, Fred also indicated the CUSTOM RESOLUTION SETTINGS menu will be activated on the next version released some time next month.

Regards, Peter

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
They could have disabled it a bit more effectively! Like either not giving you access to it at all, or putting some sort of warning in when you press the SET button.

Still, the news of new firmware is very good indeed - I've been assured that support for the Pioneer plasma screens will be included. I sent them precise timings for PAL and NTSC discs from a properly calibrated HTPC. It's good to know that even if they don't include them, I will be able to enter them myself...

·
Registered
88 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by peter caesar

The good news is, Fred also indicated the CUSTOM RESOLUTION SETTINGS menu will be activated on the next version released some time next month.

Regards, Peter
Hopefully version 100103, which has just been released, has the dvi custom settings activated.

I will be trying this version tonight.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Interesting - just a shame that ONCE AGAIN Manowa have released firmware for the engineering samples only. This is becoming quite irritating - the last firmware update had extra DVI resolutions for the early machines, but nothing new for the much larger later run of machines.

·
Registered
4,188 Posts
This was also true of the Bravo initially. Custom settings menu was accessible, but any modification to the values did not take when you pressed enter. Only flashing with the firmware they made available online enabled it.

It is still causing confusion as some with the newer machines believe this firmware ships with the machine. It does not, you must flash it.

BB

·
Registered
264 Posts
Grandmaster:

How did you even find the secret menu to begin with?

I just got mine, so I'm still playing with it.

I can't comment on the PQ yet as I running through all the settings and features on an old monitor before I hook it up to my PJ.

On another thread, there is a question regarding the latest firmware update; dated 10-01-03 or something like that, has anyone tried it?

Thanks in advance.

-Juno in Phoenix. :D

·
Registered
328 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Brandon B
This was also true of the Bravo initially. Custom settings menu was accessible, but any modification to the values did not take when you pressed enter. Only flashing with the firmware they made available online enabled it.

It is still causing confusion as some with the newer machines believe this firmware ships with the machine. It does not, you must flash it.

BB
Hi, Brandon B,

Then, do you mean the custom DVI settings can be activated after flashing with the firmware? Did you try it successfully?

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
dumb question, but...

I have a Sammy 5065W DLP and plan to get a DVI-enabled DVD next year. I understand the Momitsu can output 720p over DVI. However, I don't understand "flashing" the firmware. I don't have a HTPC, there would be a direct connection between the DVD Player and the TV. I would like the latest firmware if I were to buy the DVD Player.

Thanks,

Rich N.

·
Registered
4,188 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by kwokyan
Hi, Brandon B,

Then, do you mean the custom DVI settings can be activated after flashing with the firmware? Did you try it successfully?
First, to clarify, I am talking about the Bravo. Don't have a V880.

Second, yes, I did this and it worked. I had accessed the custom menu prior to flashing the firmware, and it did not work, yielded similar result to that described above on the V880, killed the picture until I cycled back to 480p or 720P mode. Returning to custom menu showed original default values, not those I input.

After I flashed the newer Bravo firmware, I was able to enter the menu, effect changes, and get a picture (once some working values were determined). Also, subsequently cycling out of and back into the custom menu showed my settings were, in fact, saved. This was NOT the case prior to flashing the firmware.

Therefore, since the V880 and D1 are largely similar machines, I would expect the same thing to be true for the Momitsu.

BB

·
Registered
4,188 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by raidbuck
dumb question, but...

I have a Sammy 5065W DLP and plan to get a DVI-enabled DVD next year. I understand the Momitsu can output 720p over DVI. However, I don't understand "flashing" the firmware. I don't have a HTPC, there would be a direct connection between the DVD Player and the TV. I would like the latest firmware if I were to buy the DVD Player.

Thanks,

Rich N.
In the case of the Bravo, the firmware update is downloaded from the company's website, burned to a CD and the DVD player updated by having it read that CD. An HTPC is not necessary.

Don't know how Momistsu is doing this.

BB

·
Registered
328 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Brandon B
First, to clarify, I am talking about the Bravo. Don't have a V880.

Second, yes, I did this and it worked. I had accessed the custom menu prior to flashing the firmware, and it did not work, yielded similar result to that described above on the V880, killed the picture until I cycled back to 480p or 720P mode. Returning to custom menu showed original default values, not those I input.

After I flashed the newer Bravo firmware, I was able to enter the menu, effect changes, and get a picture (once some working values were determined). Also, subsequently cycling out of and back into the custom menu showed my settings were, in fact, saved. This was NOT the case prior to flashing the firmware.

Therefore, since the V880 and D1 are largely similar machines, I would expect the same thing to be true for the Momitsu.

BB
Hi, Brandon B,

Thanks for your answer! However, I think for Bravo case, you may use the specific firmware update which enables the custom DVI settings. It may not work for other firmware updates. Someone reported that the latest firmware update of Momitsu V880 does not enable the custom DVI settings.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.