AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry if this has been answered already, I was not able to find it. But I was wondering those who bought the player from them how has it been functioning. I talked to Casey and seems like there isn't many problems with the new firmware and the "new" loader in his units. I've been wanting to buy this unit for a while, and I know it will look nice on my GWIII and I'm not too confident if I can do the modifications without messing anything up. Thanks for the input.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by dailowai
Sorry if this has been answered already, I was not able to find it. But I was wondering those who bought the player from them how has it been functioning. I talked to Casey and seems like there isn't many problems with the new firmware and the "new" loader in his units. I've been wanting to buy this unit for a while, and I know it will look nice on my GWIII and I'm not too confident if I can do the modifications without messing anything up. Thanks for the input.
I recieved my unit from ExtremePhono right at Christmas time and have had issues. I have said it before in here, and now I am saying it again. Don't buy this unit unless you are willing to accept the fact that it may need to have the mods performed on it. Asking if this unit will perform flawless out of the box is like asking somebody if a particular Slot machine in Las Vegas is gonna roll all sevens. You should expect the worst and hope for the best if you order. This is the brutally honest truth.

Hammer

·
Registered
57 Posts
ordered one the other day from extremephono, it'll ship after 1/30, i'll post any issues that come up with it once i get it

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
I got mine from them on 1-4-2004 no problems shipping wise.

S/N# MT239A11640

My only concern was the firmware date of june 14 2003 which is 6 month's earlier.

There's a firmware update coming- 120103f that can be programed into the machine for updating giving you picture controls and ?

It's a quirky machine only if you give it badly scratched disc's that will cause it to lock up, but for what it does it's still the only game in town for the $$

I haven't had any loader problem's and have done the mods because i,m a propeller head by nature, but question their validity on whether they really do anything other than to scare off potential buyers that don't want to mess with this issue. The mod column is a little overcooked on the same thing. NEW Material please!

The heat issue of the Sig8500 was measured by one member to fall well below (half) any potential concerns. The heat sink won,t hurt if it bother's you.

The plus's outweigh the minus's so far for me anyway. I say go for it!

David

·
Registered
688 Posts
Casey is nice but not the V880 !

I have post here issues that I have, Casey offered me the exchange, but I decided to unpowered the unit for 24 hrs, then retest

Well, now my V880 is working flawless the last 6 movies now.

My first 3 movies was stuttered, freezed, locked up ...

Havn't done any upgrade, except using spare ferrite (?) block on power cord

Thuan

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by AVWERKS
There's a firmware update coming- 120103f that can be programed into the machine for updating giving you picture controls and ?
Its out :). Came out last night sometime.

I got my V880 from Casey as well and it was an early january batch. No issues so far, everythings working great.

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
Received mine yesterday from Casey. So far it works flawlessly with my Nec XG. It's stuttered a few times on a video based concert DVD, but I can't say the disk is in the best condition either.

Remote is cheap no doubt. A couple buttons were stuck under the overlay when it arrived but no big deal.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the input guys, my main concern was just the loader. I'll probably put a heatsink on it and change the ide cable i guess, don't know if I want to mess with soldering on a capacitor though :/. I have a lot of home videos on dvd-r's, which scratch kinda easy, hope these won't be a problem then again I can just use my old dvd player for that as this dvd player will probably be primarily for regular dvds since my current one doesn't have real progressive scan on it.

Right now I'm just debating if I should buy the player now, because I'm really anxious to see the quality of dvds on my GWIII or wait for the V880N or D2. Decisions....decisions...

·
Registered
25 Posts
Quote:
Hello Dailowai,

I just received my v880 today (came in from the 1/15 batch) from ExtremePhono.

Asides from the LOOOOOOONG ship time, I have had no complaints.

The player arrived in a double box, not much in the way of padding but enough to keep it from bouncing and breaking apart. Region 0 and Macrovision off, US power cord.

Playing DVDs on my Samsung DLP TV and the V880, then switching back to regular TV... no contest. DVD is clear as a caribbean reef while broadcast tv is as muddled as an LA beach.

Was able to test DVDs and MP3 Playback so far. MP3 could use a "Random" button and a screen saver. :) :)

Maybe on my wish list -- having a cd with songs and pictures burned in -- play the songs and shuffle through the jpegs at the same time -- sort of like a slideshow with soundtrack..

I have not done any mods yet but may soon -- 80cable round ribbon, twist power cables, mayhaps heatsink. I will download the firmware tonight. For all these changes, I want to burn the system in first... sort of like an "if it ain't broke" approach.

Hope this helped.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yes all your posts have helped very much, thanks a lot!

Still thinking about it, but I think I'm gonna go ahead and order the V880 and just do the simple mods like heatsink, twisting cables, and replacing ide cable. It seems that the loader problem has been fixed with the newer firmwares, which was my biggest concern. It pains my eyes to see the dvd quality from my current dvd player when I know I can do much more. Thanks again for all the input. I also like the fact that I can change the macrovision because I like to watch chinese movies and all the dvds coming out are now coming out as reigon 3.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Oh yeah one quick question? Where is a good place to buy a DVI cable and does it matter how much it costs? I know they range anywhere from 30-200 dollars? Does the price reallyl make a difference in the quality? Because I know with component cables, I have a pair of 70 dollar and a pair of 200 dollar component cables, and they look almost the same. Thanks.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I got my player from Extreme Phono yesterday, and I'm sorry to say that it was DOA. I can view the menu screen, but no disk will play. All I get is Loading for about 2 minutes and then a NO CD message on the player. I've tried DVDs, CDs, Divx CDs and anything else I can think of. I can here it spinning, but it just won't read anything... It has the June firmware.

Does anyone have the phone number for Extreme Phono? I sent an email asking to exchange the unit but haven't heard back from anyone yet...

Thanks

·
Registered
25 Posts
Quote:
Oh yeah one quick question? Where is a good place to buy a DVI cable and does it matter how much it costs? I know they range anywhere from 30-200 dollars? Does the price reallyl make a difference in the quality? Because I know with component cables, I have a pair of 70 dollar and a pair of 200 dollar component cables, and they look almost the same. Thanks.
I got mine from cable club dot com

It was not the highest grade cable in the world, but for 13 dollars I don't expect the world on a silver platter. The quality of the video coming from my Momi is still decades better than my old Panasonic.

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
Some V880's arrived with loose connectors inside. It might be worth a minute to open it up and make sure all your connections are plugged in tightly.

Quote:
I got my player from Extreme Phono yesterday, and I'm sorry to say that it was DOA.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Yeah, I tried opening it up and checking out all the connections. Everything seems fine, I just think the loader is bad. As I said I can see the menus and it will open and close fine and I can hear and see it spinning, but it just wont play anything.

Maybe I can get ExtemePhono to just send me a new loader, I heard Momitsu has just released a new version of the loader that solves some of the older problems...

anyone have ExtremePhono's number???

thanks

Matt

·
Registered
25 Posts
I have not found their phone number, but have you tried emailing them?

Quote:
Originally posted by mattc

Maybe I can get ExtemePhono to just send me a new loader, I heard Momitsu has just released a new version of the loader that solves some of the older problems...

anyone have their number???

thanks

Matt

·
Registered
277 Posts
Sorry if this has been asked already but, does Extreme, or any other vendor have any problems exchanging units that have been modified? Is it best to burn in the unit before making any of the mods?

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
Mattc

Food for thought

If you hit the video button continously to change resolutions you will hit a black screen (mine anyway) with no output- it's best to go to the video menu while doing so to see what your doing and input there and leave it at a chosen resolution.

Maybe that's all it is in your case.

David

·
Registered
576 Posts
Just make sure that you use an after-market remote, as the one that comes with it is of very poor quality.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Got mine from ExtremePhono last Wed, from the 1/15 batch.

Casey sent tracking info when he shipped (Airborne)... thought I had a clue when it would arrive, then it came 2 days early. Airborne left it outside my house at 9 am, where it sat until 6 pm.

Temp that day only reached 10F... had to unpack it and allow several hours to reach room temp before attempting to use it.

So far I've watched roughly 10 DVDs. Only one showed 'stuttering'; cleaning the disc didn't help; when I cleaned the dvd I noticed some minor scratches. Maybe the laser sampling isn't great at error-correction?

Anyway, I've replaced the IDE cable (round ATA 100/133 cable) and installed the 1-26-04 firmware and it's been perfect since.

I've got a heat sink but have not installed it yet.

PQ is excellent... a bit slow loading discs, but otherwise I have no complaints.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.