Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK - here is the problem

I bought a V880 9 months ago - no problem whatsoever - a fine piece of equipment.

During the last 3 weeks I faced the following problem:

- whenever I try to switch it on it switches itself off again

- after having hit the "on" button a couple of times it switches "on" BUT

- it does not recognize any DVD, CD or whatsoever - it just tells me "no CD" - although there is a DVD or CD in there

- installing the new firmware is no option either - "no CD" again - no chance

to install anything - the damn thing just doesn't recognize anything.

- unplugging the DVD for minutes / hours and then rebooting it won't do the trick either - still the same results. Doesn't recognize anything.

-it is trying to load CDs/DVDs for about 2 minutes but won't recognize them

- the whole thing developed like my windows xp - first it would not recognize every 3rd DVD - then every 2nd - then it would not recognize anything.

what should I do?

thanks for any hints

jens

:(

·
Registered
3,534 Posts
A long shot here, but maybe one of the buttons on the remote got stuck and is driving the player crazy? Try removing the batteries from the remote, insert a disc, and see if the problem goes away...

(The remote with the V880 sucks big time. I had a stuck button issue and the player wouldn't respond...)

·
Registered
7,295 Posts
The on/off button on the player is a known issue. Apparently, the firmware polls the button periodically for its state and turns either on or off. Hold down the button and player will continuously turn on and off. The remote (or a programmed remote) is better for a consistent on/off action.

Try checking / reseating the connections to the loader and see if it helps.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks so far

The remogte can't be the issue since I never used it . I am using a programable remote since I got the player. But it was worth a shot.

Paul - what exactly do you mean by resetting the connections to the loader?

thanks

jens

·
Registered
7,295 Posts
The Momitsu may still be under warranty so an attempt to contact the dealer first would be in order.

Otherwise, if not under warranty, there are two connectors that go to the loader (the device that "loads" and spins the DVD). Maybe these are loose. It's a long shot but it might be worth a try. First though, I would contact the dealer and see if a replacement unit or free repair would be forthcoming.

Paul

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quentin,

no luck. I gave up on it. I bought a Denon 3910 instead. It is much more reliable and the picture quality is stunning (but it is 4 times more expensive as well) Sorry

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
My V880 started doing the same thing (displaying "no disc" when a disc was in the loader). I emailed extremephono.com and they said to re-load the firmware. I did that - it didn't help. I plan eventually to change out the loader, but in the meantime have purchased a Pioneer DV 59. Ahhhh, the joy of a reliable player!

htomei

·
Registered
2,631 Posts
I tried searching for the link and couldn't find it. I think someone reported sort of recently that their momitsu started doing the same thing, not recognizing discs until it wouldn't read any. they replaced the loader and that solved the problem. But like I said I couldn't find the post.

Best,

jeff

·
Registered
285 Posts
Oddly enough, my player only does it on certain discs - those with a clear "face" side. DVDs with color and title, etc. have no problem playing.

Anyone ever try dealing direct with Momitsu?

Suppose I'll try the firmware first.

IMO, the Denon isn't worth the cash and will never be region free. I couldn't survive without region free!

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Quentin,

wrong - the Denon can be made region free without any costs - just a firmware update. It can do PAL and NTSC native and crossconverting if required. Otherwise I wouldn't have bought it - because you are right - there is no live without region free :) My 2 cents.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.