AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On the Family Guy DVDs it will only show the FBI warning and then it just goes black. On the Extended Two Towers DVDs it acts exactly like it is playing the DVD but there is not video with the exception of one blue screen with the PG-13 rating and a bunch of other junk on it.

Most DVDs work fine since I swapped the loader out with a Lite On 166S but some don't play at all.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I stuck the original loader back in there and updated to the latest firmware (1-26-04) and I'll be damned if the thing didn't play the Two Towers perfectly even though it was a rental and pretty scratched. (My main complaint and reason for swapping the loader was that even very tiny scratches kept it from playing and it stuttered all the time).

I'm going to leave the original loader in there and see how well it works. I'll post the results here after I watch a few different DVDs.

The only "mod" I have done at this point then is adding a Zalman heatsink to the big chip on the main board.

BTW - don't touch anything on the power supply board even when it is off. I got a nasty shock from it.

·
Registered
714 Posts
Have you flash the lite-on loader with updated firmware and region-free hack? Try that and see. Also if that doesn't work, try to set the V880 region to whatever the region the DVD disc is intented for.

I just order the Lite-on loader, but I havn't install it yet. We'll see what happen.

Baja

·
Registered
226 Posts
I got mine this week and it stuttered a bit on Two Towers so I did the update and it all went exactly like the instructions said but now it doesnt seem to want to put out a picture with any DVD??? Am I just not holding my mouth right or what with this thing :)

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Quote:
Originally posted by jpinks
I got mine this week and it stuttered a bit on Two Towers so I did the update and it all went exactly like the instructions said but now it doesnt seem to want to put out a picture with any DVD??? Am I just not holding my mouth right or what with this thing :)
Does yours show the blue backgroung "DVD" screen when you turn it on?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
As and update and a recap: I put the original loader back in so I could do the firmware update and then I lef tit in and tried to play a mildly scratched copy of Two Towers that never would have played in the original loader before the firmware update (1-26-04) and I am halfway through the movie and it hasn't skipped or stuttered once.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Quote:
Originally posted by jpinks
Scotty no it doesnt now with the DVD but it will show the update screens with the ISO cd in it.
Have you tried cycling through the video modes you can access via the "Video" (i think that is it) button on the remote control? Maybe after the flash your DVD player isn't set to the proper video output settings anymore.

·
Registered
787 Posts
i had this exact same problem.

I think its an issue with the fw on the new lite on drives.

ds1a, the fw which comes on the new drives doesnt seem to jive well with the momitsu. I had no video with dvds but with dvdr it worked perfectly. I tried different regions, macrovison settings etc, nothing would get video from real dvds.

I flashed the lite on to an older ds19 fw and everything seems to work now.

If this is not the case and someone is using the new liteon fw with the mitsu, please let us know.

K

·
Registered
27 Posts
There is a new DS1C firmware for the Liteon 166 (25 March 2004) on the JLMS Taiwan download page.

I have flashed this on my PC and will put it in my 880 as soon as I have made some brackets.

I will report later on.

Cheers

Muzz

·
Registered
27 Posts
I gave up on the idea of making brackets and generally followed sap's instructions. Instead of damping material to get the height right, I used some computer motherboard brass standoffs that I had lying around with the right thread for the 166 base mounting holes. I then ground them down to the right height.

The Liteon loader (flashed with DS1C firmware, I didn't try with original DS1A) now appears to have fixed my problems of not recognizing my Superbit Fifth Element and stuttering on some other disks, and it really speeds up the recognition of discs at startup.

Cheers

Muzz

·
Registered
92 Posts
'Just like to share my own experience with the loader replacement that I did today.

Got the liteon inserted and powered up the dvdrom (stock fw: DS08A for rom drive, Jan 2004 firmware for V880). Disc inserted. Player had great difficulty loading. When the disc finally loaded, the player jumped all over the place! Simply unacceptable tracking.

Next I tried an audio disc. No luck. Out went the dvdrom drive and back to connection to the PC. I reflashed the player to the latest 1C firmware. Did the region-free hack. Reconnected the dvd-rom ide cable and power cable while the player was in standby (red led) mode. Worse -- no disc. Nothing could get the player to recognise the audio disc inside the rom.

After half an hour of plugging the AC power in and out, I could not get the rom drive to mate with the v880. On a hunch, I remembered that the original loader did not have any jumpers installed to select Master Slave or Cable Select protocols. So I had duplicated this on the liteon. But now with nothing to lose, I placed the original jumper on Cable Select.

So as you would have guessed by now, the player could now recognise a disc. But it had problems during the loading process. Undaunted, I disconnected the AC power from the player to do a reset (the first reset I had done since putting on the jumper), and upon connection the sweet sound of disc spinning and head movement rang true. Soon I was listening to music! (maybe someone here would like to place a jumper on the a problematic momitsu loader to see if it has any effect on stutter?)

Next a dvd-r disc went in. Flawless loading and playing. No stutter. Tried other factory pressed dvd discs. No problems either.

So here are some of the things I took note of during this 5 hour process:

1) Beware the jumper setting during connection

2) When in doubt, always do a hard reset before trying something else

3) After a hard reset you may need to press the Video button repeatedly to cycle through the video output modes

4) The latest firmware DS1C (march 2004) for the liteon seems to work fine

5) The software for disabling region-locking also seems to work as advertised.

6) I was lazy, so I exposed the v880's interior and connected/disconnected the dvd-rom drive without touching the ac power cable and just using the standby mode. For others I would suggest removing the ac power cable before removing the dvdrom, and after reconnecting it, to plug in the ac power cable.

Naturally all this was done without consideration for alignment yet. Now I'll have to figure out how to get it mounted and aligned to the eject door flap before I replace the cover and sit back to enjoy stutter free movies!

This just in: Playback of divx files is smoother. Best part is, ffwd is so much faster and smoother, and return to playback mode is also quicker. This is great! :))

Further news update: many of the cdrs containing divx I that recorded previously could not be played. Upon selecting the divx file the player would report that the file was not playable. I had all along assumed that it was due to incompatible encoding. Now, with the liteon, every single unplayable divx file is PLAYABLE! Every single one. Maybe it was the original loader's inability to even read the file for some reason. So we're not just talking about better divx navigation now, we're talking improved divx/xvid file support! Damn just for this alone the liteon is worth 5x the amount!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.