AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Banned
539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone tried the Momitsu DVI connecting to the Infocus X1 through a DVI to VGA adapter? I am curious if the upconvert to HDTV resolution looks good with DVDs, or even if it works with the X1.

·
Premium Member
5,305 Posts
A few of us from the Ottawa HT Group plan on doing just that this weekend! We also plan on testing the Momitsu with the LT240K as well.

I'll let you know how things go with the X1/Momitsu combo after the weekend.

·
Banned
539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you. I had a thread in the projector group about this combination and everyone pretty much beat me down and said there was no point to this upconverting. But after hearing people like John Dvorak rave about these players, it got my curiousity up. Since I have started watching HDTV with my X1, the quality of DVD is a little frustrating. DVD still blows SDTV away, but HDTV pretty much demolishes DVD. I am hoping something like the Momitsu might close the gap.

·
Premium Member
5,305 Posts
No problem. I'll let you know as soon as we test it out!

Take care,

Mike

·
Registered
491 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by simmike
Thank you. I had a thread in the projector group about this combination and everyone pretty much beat me down and said there was no point to this upconverting. But after hearing people like John Dvorak rave about these players, it got my curiousity up. Since I have started watching HDTV with my X1, the quality of DVD is a little frustrating. DVD still blows SDTV away, but HDTV pretty much demolishes DVD. I am hoping something like the Momitsu might close the gap.
Local home theater shop tried to get a Samsung HD-931

to work with an InFocus projector(don't know the model, but

one of the latest) and all that it would show was SNOW. Since

I've never seen the V880 on a front-projector I'm MOST

interested in knowing whether it will work(it accomplishes

upconm via either DVI or component) on a front projector,

and what the results are. Hope you'll let me know.

I've had a Momitsu V880 for about two months now, and

after watching its upcon of many movies on my 65-inch RPTV,

there's just no going back to 480. I've looked carefully at

HDTV movies on CBS and ABC over the air, and prerecorded

movies on D-VHS, and upcon high-quality current-generation DVDs

are simply indistinguishable from those native hi-def formats.

I can see why Jack 'The Sky Is Falling' Valenti and the MPAA

are so very concerned about these new machines and the

threat they pose to getting the public to re-buy, all over

again, their stash of 480 DVDs in a native HD format. There's

just no reason for such an expenditure.

Hope to hear from you . . .

Milt R. Smith
[email protected]

·
Premium Member
5,305 Posts
I can't wait to see for myself. I've heard some great things about the Momitsu from a fellow member in Ottawa, I'll be able to judge for myself on Saturday night. We'll be testing it out on the LT240K and the X1, I'll let you know how things go.

·
Premium Member
5,305 Posts
The X1 handled it fine but the difference between 480P, 720P and 1080i was not that noticeable. There was a slight improvement but it wasn't that significant IMHO. (The owner of the X1 agreed)

Combining the LT240K with the Momitsu was a different story. The improvement in the image was very impressive! Worth every dime. Now I just can't wait until mine arrives! The image improved dramatically from 480P to 720P, 1080i and 720P were very close.

Any questions just shoot.

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Kyserose,

I was one of the nay sayers to simmike's original question about V800 and X1. The main reasoning at the time was that X1 doesn't have DVI input. Did the Momitsu up convert via component as well? Or did you get some converter to go from DVI to VGA?

Does the L240K have DVI input? My main question is that should I even consider an up converted DVD signal unless I have DVI input?

Thanks,

Rick

·
Premium Member
5,305 Posts
We used upscaled Component at first for the LT240K, it was a little dark but it worked fine. After that we tried DVI-VGA (with the little adapter that costs about $10.00) and it worked extremely well! (With both the X1 and the LT240K) Don't get me wrong, the upscaled component worked very well. I would just have to adjust the settings a bit to brighten it up.

I do think that DVI-VGA is the way to go. (For PJ's without a DVI input)

The difference wasn't as clear with the X1 as it was with the LT240K but it did help the X1 out a bit.

·
Banned
539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by Kysersose
The X1 handled it fine but the difference between 480P, 720P and 1080i was not that noticeable. There was a slight improvement but it wasn't that significant IMHO. (The owner of the X1 agreed)
Too bad. I was hoping the difference was dramatic. I guess I saved myself some money.

Mike

·
Premium Member
5,305 Posts
The difference was dramatic with the LT240K so I can't wait! Keep in mind that this was just "plug'n'play", we didn't adjust any X1 or LT240K settings so things can only get better. Yes, the res of the X1 limits it a bit but the Momitsu is a pretty great player for the price regardless if you only use 480P (at the moment). The region free settings, macrovision and upscaling makes it a bargain!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.