AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am about to purchase this unit and want to hear from owners and what they think of its pq,and does it pass black??

Also can you get 1080i out of component as well as dvi??

what about macrovision???can you turn iot off??do you need to if you utilize the dvi??

what about rmas??if unit is defective what can you do???

·
Registered
491 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by deez
I am about to purchase this unit and want to hear from owners and what they think of its pq,and does it pass black??

what about macrovision???can you turn iot off??do you need to if you utilize the dvi??

1: I've had this unit since last July and the image

output on a high-quality DVD is superb - what I

refer to as 'virtual hi-def' and indistinguishable to

me from most "native" sources of hi-def films;

2: It offers 720p and 1080i output via EITHER

DVI or component, though the high-frequency

roll-off attendant to compoenant may result in

up to about 5% less resolution than you'd see

via DVI, according to reports I've read. In any

case, that would be academic if your display

does not have DVI input. To do the upcon to

720p or 1080i the unit first must be set to

Macrovision OFF(yes, it does that);

V-Inc has just introduced a standalone combination

Bravo D-2 player(DVD & WM9) using the same Sigma

Designs EM8500 decoder/board for the DVD side.

If there are to be a lot of WM9 releases, you would

with such a machine presumably have the best of

BOTH worlds - i.e., no need to re-buy, all over again,

your current stash of high-quality present-generation

DVDs, and a player for "native" hi-def films going

forward(WM9). Only real question at this point for

those of us whose display does not have a DVI

input, is whether the D-2 will produce the upcon

AND the WM9 native hi-def via component as well.

If there are to be a lot of WM9 releases, and it

does(DVI and component) I'm sure going to buy

a D-2 to add to my equipment list. But, surely in

the meantime, you can'd go wrong with a V-880.

Good luck!

Milt R. Smith
[email protected]

·
Registered
2,282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I want to buy this player but am leary cus of the overseas purchase…….also my set upconverts all to 540p/1080i…..so what does this mean with this unit and my hitachi???

·
Registered
286 Posts
Quote:
I want to buy this player but am leary cus of the overseas purchase…….also my set upconverts all to 540p/1080i…..so what does this mean with this unit and my hitachi???
Buy the Momitsu from Extremephone.com right there in CA. Set the Momitsu to output 1080i and it won't mean anything to your Hitachi. It will just appear to your Hitachi as a normal high definition signal.

Hammer

·
Registered
286 Posts
Quote:

This is the best thing I can tell you that you really need to know about the Momitsu. If you are scared to open the unit up and perform some of the mods needed to fix any quirks that may come around, DON'T BUY IT. Some people get lucky and claim their units are trouble free but there are so many more that do have issues. Do a search on "Momitsu" in this forum and you will see the issues and the potential fixes. If you do buy one, please don't "*****" if it does have issues, just accept the fact that you will need to "modify" the hardware some. The real good thing is that it will put out an image that is par with some really high dollar machines. The low price is what you pay to have to "fix" these.

Hammer

·
Registered
276 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by TheHammer69
Buy the Momitsu from Extremephone.com right there in CA. Set the Momitsu to output 1080i and it won't mean anything to your Hitachi. It will just appear to your Hitachi as a normal high definition signal.

Hammer
Do you make a mistake ? Extremephone.com does not sell DVD player ! Please post again. :confused:

·
Registered
286 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by ewclam9
Do you make a mistake ? Extremephone.com does not sell DVD player ! Please post again. :confused:
Yes they do. That is where I got mine from. here is more of a direct link: h t t p://w w w.extremephono.com/momitsu_dvd_v880.htm

Remove the spaces in "http" and the "www" to use the link.

Hammer

·
Registered
2,282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks a lot hammer!!!

I read thier faq and it says that the units shipping now have new loaders and more stable fw.......do you have this unit??

·
Registered
713 Posts
I bought mine in May of last year. I have the firmware from May 5th (I think) and don't have any problems. Remote sucks, but other then that, I'm very happy. Some (ok maybe a lot) have problems. I guess I'm one of the lucky ones.

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
Happy as a clam, assuming of course clams are happy.

Tried it with 3 CRT's Nec xg135lc, Barco 1208s/2, Sony 1292. No issues between them

Where else can you get a 720p/1080i output without a transcoder into RGBHV analog or DVI + custom resolutions + picture controls for under 300$

The only issues for my unit are big scratches (not small rubbed out ones) that cause it to lock up.

and an image width that is smaller than standard players.(problem only if using max raster width's with CRT's)

The mods are a piece of cake even if you haven't done them before and worth it for reliability, but haven't seen any absolute truth (scope,distortion mesurement,s etc.) that they affect the image in any way.

Mike P. are you listening? :)

Until we see a wave of new player's that can do this without a HTPC you can't go wrong right now.

David

·
Registered
605 Posts
Just got mine a few days ago and could not be happier. My set, the RCA F38310, only displays 540p or 1080i and the internal scaler is crap. I had an iScan Ultra feeding it the best 480p signal possible, but it still had to go through the internal scaler which introduced a barrel roll geometric error. With the Momitsu I feed the set a 1080i signal which my set displays natively -- no internal scaler - no geometric errors. The 1080i signal is available from the DVI (which with an adapter is also RGB) and the Component. Mine came from the factory with Macrovision disabled and region free!

The remote is cheap, but I had my universal remote learn the commands that I'll use, so I won't be using there remote ever.

The PQ at 1080i is very very good. To be completely critical, I found the picture to be better than my Dennon DVD played through the iScan when the images were relatively still, but in busy scenes with lots of detailed motion, the iScan is still the deinterlacing champ.

·
Registered
336 Posts
I've been wanting to get this dvd player, but the problems have scared me away because the majority of the time my parents would be using the player and the only thing they know how to do is press the play button. Has anyone gotten the newer units from Extremephono and not experience any problems? Will the Bravo D2/D3 be much better then this player? I currently have a pioneer 434 which sucks and looks horrible on my GWIII, really want a dvd player that will show these "hi def quality" pictures I hear about people getting on their televisions :/

·
Registered
2,282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I just got a panny f85...picture is nice but i know this would be better....I might just take this one back.......i want to go with this unit the momitsu but i dont know how good performance is....like jitter and chroma and stuff like that...thats why i started this thread to find out how it handles action scenes and chroma...is there jitter during camera pans??

·
Registered
158 Posts
I wouldn't recommend it to anyone who doesn't want to tinker around with opening it up, twisting the power cables, replacing the IDE cables, updating firmware, and adding a capacitor (with easy soldering.)

Seems like an awful lot of work for a DVD player that costs $260+. New models from other manufacters were announced at CES this year that should give you the same PQ for the same price without any of the tinkering.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.