AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm in need of a new display to replace the ageing Mitsu 55" RPTV in the family room.

I was initially thinking plasma (Pio 5050), because I never really liked any of the LCD or DLP sets. However, yesterday I saw the 70" Sony Qualia and was blown away. I understand that the 50 and 60 inch versions of the Sony SXRD sets will be available in September.

New I have to wait to September to actually see the SXRD.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mit07
I'm in need of a new display to replace the ageing Mitsu 55" RPTV in the family room.

I was initially thinking plasma (Pio 5050), because I never really liked any of the LCD or DLP sets. However, yesterday I saw the 70" Sony Qualia and was blown away. I understand that the 50 and 60 inch versions of the Sony SXRD sets will be available in September.

New I have to wait to September to actually see the SXRD.
Only you can answer that question. I am in the same boat. I have been looking at the Panasonic & Fujitsu Plasmas though. I like the color of the Plasma much more, but the depth and sharpness of the 1080p projection sets is unmatched. I also like that the new plasmas are essentially as stable as a CRT when it comes to burn in and longevity (or so it is claimed). But they are also a touch more fragile than a projection set.

Go to a dealer that has both if you can and just wieght the two against eachother. That is what I have been doing. I am waiting for the 61" SXRD before I make my final decision. But right now, I am about 90% sure it will be that set. But that's purely based on impressions I got from the qualia, so it is really up in the air.

>UPDATE

·
Registered
2,241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
frokta - interesting. Obviously you like the plasmas better. I thought the Qualia I saw at Tweeter looked better than the Pio Elite and Panny plasmas, and much better than the new 1080p Sammy DLPs. The Qualia had a lower black level, and amazing detail along with a smooth image.

Does anyone else on this board have an opinion on the SXRDs, or are you firmly set on plasma?

·
Registered
82 Posts
The Qualia is a stunning set, and I don't think any current technology can rival the Qualia's picture quality due to it's extremely high resolution and fill rate. It is seriously the only rear projection TV I'd ever consider buying. If I didn't need the space a wall-mounted plasma would save me, I'd probably go for the non-qualia SXRD.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Sony screen is stunning. Beats any plasma I ever seen. If you look closly there is much smaller gap between the pixels and I think that makes a lot of difference. Picture quality is just much better than anything else out there. The only question is 13 grand msrp price that is really way to high. You can get a 55-60 inch plasma for you family room and another smaller one for another room for that amount. Unless Sony will have other sets with the same technology for much less I don't think too many people will go for it.

·
Registered
32,172 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ld100
The only question is 13 grand msrp price that is really way to high..
In 2-3 months, there'll be a 60-inch SXRD for $5000. Does that help? :D

·
Registered
2,241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogo
In 2-3 months, there'll be a 60-inch SXRD for $5000. Does that help? :D
But we don't know if the PQ will be as stunning as the Qualia until it is out.

Something tells me that the price difference between the newly announced 60" for $5K, and the current Qualia 70" for $13K - equates to some PQ differences.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mit07
But we don't know if the PQ will be as stunning as the Qualia until it is out.

Something tells me that the price difference between the newly announced 60" for $5K, and the current Qualia 70" for $13K - equates to some PQ differences.
That's not neccesarily true; a couple years ago, Sony had a Qualia camera that cost $3200, but took pictures that were roughly the same quality as their U20 line. The qualia was smaller and had a lot of lenses, but also cost $2900 more! Also, there isn't a whole lot of difference between the $5800 Qualia 002 HD video recorder and the $3500 Sony HDRFX1.

Qualia is even beyond a premium brand; more like a testing bed for early adopters plus all the bells and whistles. The margins on their products must be sky high! The consumer sxrd will probably be missing some of the Qualia's niceties (inch thick acrylic in front of the screen, some processing electronics) but it seems (at least so far) that most of Qualia's tech makes it into the consumer lines more or less intact.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Good question though - 5k for the 60" SXRD vs. what else one can get for 5k... which seems like 50" or 55" Plasma.

I'm leaning (heavily) towards the 60" SXRD, assuming the picture really is great.

·
Registered
12 Posts
How can you even compare plasmas and RPTV's on any basis except size and money. RPTV's are a kludge. They are an economic kludge. They are a size kludge.

The ultimate goal of a television is to give you the experience you are looking out a window. Yes you can wiggle yourself into a positon with these RPTV's and get a good picture but then do you lock your head into a vice?

·
Registered
32,172 Posts
I expect the picture quality of the new SXRDs to largely equal -- and in some ways like black levels exceed -- those of the 70-inch Qualia.

·
Registered
2,241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well I'm definitely waiting until September to see the new Sony SXRD before making any final decisions. The pain of waiting is mitigated only by the fact that I already have 2 HD sets. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Albert18
How can you even compare plasmas and RPTV's on any basis except size and money. RPTV's are a kludge. They are an economic kludge. They are a size kludge.

The ultimate goal of a television is to give you the experience you are looking out a window. Yes you can wiggle yourself into a positon with these RPTV's and get a good picture but then do you lock your head into a vice?
I won't pick a fight on this - especially on a plasma forum - but I doubt you have seen the Qualia. :eek:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.