AVS Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Long time lurker, occasional poster. Moved into our current house last year and I am just getting around to the theater. I have done two small theaters in the past; both minor room conversions. First projector was a Panny AE200 and my latest a Mits HC1600. The new theater will need a projector with decent CIH (2.4:1) support, like the AE4000 (or hopefully the follow-on).

The theater is being designed with WAF in mind. My wife wants a classy looking theater that is also a great place for the kids and their friends to hangout when they aren't watching movies
. That's why it's called the Mongrel Movieplex.

The room itself is long and narrow, 13'4" x 29'8". Ceiling height is 7'10". The basic idea is to have a sectional sofa in front, a riser with three recliners and behind that a bar that seats four. In the very back will be a counter to house the popcorn machine, pop/beer (I brew my own
) taps, pizza oven, microwave, candy counter, etc. In addition to the main screen (115" wide 2.4:1), there is flat panel TV on the adjacent wall for casual viewing.

Here are some rough to-scale conceptual drawings:

Attachment 192378

Attachment 192379

Attachment 192380

Attachment 192383

I will post some actual pictures of the room tomorrow. Constructive criticism is welcome

Dave

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Front wall originally framed for a fireplace. I plan on using the bottom 28" for a built-in to hold AV equipment.

Attachment 192434

Bathroom and large hallway that will hold an upright MAME machine.

Attachment 192435

Main entrance from stairs

Attachment 192437

Rear wall

Attachment 192436

Large window. This window will be removed as it is the only opening large enough for drywall, furniture, etc. It will be replaced with a new unit.

Attachment 192438

1 - 2 of 2 Posts