AVS Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 10 year old Onkyo speakers set up stopped working recently, Onkyo HTiB 520. So I decided to upgrade my set up slowly. Started with my receiver, which was the first to go, with a Denon 1612. Then my tweeter on my left channel stopped working so I'm thinking of replacing my LR channels, then my center.

Newegg currently has the Monitor60s on sale for 120 ea. But it is still more expensive than the Monitor40s by 70 dollars. I live in an apartment and the HT set up is in a room that's roughly 16x16x10.

Would the Monitor40s service my apartment better and should I wait for them to go on sale? Or would the Monitor60s do well in the room and current sale too good to pass up? And I would use the Right channel from my Onkyo which has bigger drivers and tweeter than the center speaker, would that be ok?

Thanks for any input.

·
Registered
7,063 Posts
I would suggest that you get the Monitor 40 speakers and the CS10 center speaker. I don't think your old speaker would be satisfactory as a center speaker.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by commsysman  /t/1415822/monitor-40s-or-60#post_22135134

I would suggest that you get the Monitor 40 speakers and the CS10 center speaker. I don't think your old speaker would be satisfactory as a center speaker.

I would be able to get all three fronts sooner for only 30 dollars more, before any sale. Then move the 40s to the rear when I want/can upgrade the LR speakers

CS10? Not CS1? According to the polk site, it's the CS1 that goes with the 40s.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I have the Monitor 50's for front LR and the CS1 for center. I think they sound great and they all match. The CS10 has a piano black finish that does not match the Monitor series, but if that does not matter to you then I would think it would work. If I could have gotten the 60's for that price I would have jumped on it, but the 40's should sound good as well and like you said you can move them to the backs later on if you want IMO.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I took the plunge and got the CS1 and the Monitor40s. The CS1 was cheaper and I already have speaker stands for the 40s.

·
Registered
98 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBCheese  /t/1415822/monitor-40s-or-60#post_22135469

I took the plunge and got the CS1 and the Monitor40s. The CS1 was cheaper and I already have speaker stands for the 40s.

Congrats on the purchase. I think you will be happy and $65 for the CS1 is a great deal!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark1280  /t/1415822/monitor-40s-or-60#post_22135483

Congrats on the purchase. I think you will be happy and $65 for the CS1 is a great deal!

Thanks man. Looking forward to listening to the speakers.

Just a quick question. Never had bi-wiring speakers before. Do you connect them to the bottom or top connectors? Or does it not matter?

·
Registered
98 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBCheese  /t/1415822/monitor-40s-or-60#post_22136266

Thanks man. Looking forward to listening to the speakers.

Just a quick question. Never had bi-wiring speakers before. Do you connect them to the bottom or top connectors? Or does it not matter?

I don't think it matters because there is a connector plate that connects the two terminals. When you bi-wire you have to remove the plate, thus breaking the connection and separating the two different terminals. However the manual shows them connected to the top two terminals for basic hookup.

·
Registered
4,577 Posts
Hey what's up Mark, congrats on your purchase! The 40's are nice little speakers. Your plan to move them to the rear when you upgrade is a good one.

Of course, you'll want to go with the bigger center i.e; CS2 or CS20 when you finally decide on 60's or 40's.

Yeah, doesn't matter which set of terminals you hook up to, I usually plug into the top set.

BTW, noticed your location, I just had a sub shipped to me from there, Epik is in your neighborhood.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Damn. If I had just waited a day they would have been on sale and I would have been able to get the CS2 for the same price. If it weren't for newegg's 15% restocking fee, it would be worthwhile to return it.

Oh well. Still a great upgrade from my 10 year old onkyo HTiB speakers.

·
Registered
98 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBCheese  /t/1415822/monitor-40s-or-60#post_22138026

Damn. If I had just waited a day they would have been on sale and I would have been able to get the CS2 for the same price. If it weren't for newegg's 15% restocking fee, it would be worthwhile to return it.

Oh well. Still a great upgrade from my 10 year old onkyo HTiB speakers.

Yeah,whenever I make a purchase like that I force myself to stay off all of the store websites like Newegg and Amazon for awhile. It never fails that something else will always go on sale.

·
Registered
98 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff4RFC  /t/1415822/monitor-40s-or-60#post_22136837

BTW, noticed your location, I just had a sub shipped to me from there, Epik is in your neighborhood.

Yeah, I had no idea Epik was about 40min from my house until someone else mentioned the same thing. You will have to let me know what you think of the new Epik sub. I wouldn't ming getting my hands on a legend. Seen a pic of an Empire and that thing looked like a beast.

·
Registered
4,577 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark1280  /t/1415822/monitor-40s-or-60#post_22138225

You will have to let me know what you think of the new Epik sub.

I love it!! This is my second one. I'm now in a room that can handle the pair, or at least that's what I'm going with

1 - 14 of 14 Posts