AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone here use a computer monitor for their standard television? Is it a lot better quality for DVDs and regular TV with a monitor than with a television. I know that the computer monitors get really pricey as they get bigger. Anyone know of some decently priced large computer monitors that would work for a TV. This way I could kill two birds with one stone.

Thanks

Mike

·
Registered
1,631 Posts
>>Anyone here use a computer monitor for their standard television?<<

I did. If you fiddle with windows settings and increase the font size etc, you can make most things out if you squint a lot. Lousy idea.

>>I know that the computer monitors get really pricey as they get bigger. Anyone know of some decently priced large computer monitors that would work for a TV.<<

This is the way I went after I got tired of squinting. Mo' better. What I got was a monitor designed for airports, meetings etc. The formal name for them is a "presentation monitor." They would be lousy for a desktop since the dot pitch is around ~.80, but they work fine as a TV set since you are not as likely to be staring from 18" away as you do with a desktop monitor.

And they cost less. I got my 21" monitor for $200 on close- out. I find that clarity makes up for size. I now prefer to see a smaller clearer picture than a bigger fuzzy one although a little bigger would be nice.

Some people here use Princeton monitors that were sold with

the Gateway Destination PCTV. There are used ones on Ebay (search for Destination). I don't have one so I can't say if they are any good.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.